Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 02-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #2
theD0N

White Belt

vCash: 500
Caio Terra recently said "It's PATHETIC how many videos explaining the "berimbolo" are in the internet but NONE of them are correctly, I mean, not just the move is incorrect but people who posts it have no idea what the berimbolo really is. Berimbolo is not Dela Riva!!! It just starts from there."

I'm certain Caio wasn't talking about Tony's video. This is a good video!

theD0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #3
Higher Learning

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by theD0N View Post
Caio Terra recently said "It's PATHETIC how many videos explaining the "berimbolo" are in the internet but NONE of them are correctly, I mean, not just the move is incorrect but people who posts it have no idea what the berimbolo really is. Berimbolo is not Dela Riva!!! It just starts from there."

I'm certain Caio wasn't talking about Tony's video. This is a good video!
definitely not, that is a very, very good berimbolo instructional

Higher Learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
Zankou
"Khorasan Group"?

Very helpful vid, thanks Tony.

Zankou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #5
Jiujitsunoob

Blue Belt

One of the first berimbolo youtube instructionals I feel got it right. Pretty much exactly how I interpret the berimbolo.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #6
Drew128

White Belt

Drew128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM   #7
Little_Tony

White Belt

I agreed with Terra. This instructional was filmed in 3D December 23rd, 2011; however, I just released it today. I was saying the same thing that all the people putting out the berimbolo instructional on youtube were missing details. This video has the standing entry first, and I would like to point out how I grab the front of the belt to pull and push with my free leg on the hip of the opponent. This makes the person off down; not the spin to the back bullshit.

Raf and Gui Mendes did these positions on me during a private lesson and during seminars!

Little_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:51 PM   #8
Bruce Calavera

Purple Belt

Tony, quick question that I've never understood. What is to stop the passer from just backsteping the free leg for base so that he/she doesn't just fall to there butt. Hope that makes sense.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:01 PM   #9
Balto

Silver Belt

The biggest problem I have with using the berimbolo as a primary sweep (i.e. force the opponent to sit down with the sweeping pressure vs. entice the opponent to sit down with the standard De La Riva back take) is the leg drag pass when the non-hooking leg is placed on the hip like shown.

The leg drag pass on the free leg is one of the toughest counters to the De La Riva guard, and I have always had trouble with it when I bring my free leg towards the hip that I have hooked with the De La Riva. If I keep my free leg on the opposite hip, the opponent typically backsteps around in a circle to keep his balance.

I have been able to force the sweep sometimes with my free leg on the hooked hip, but it's been inconsistent and very risky for me with the leg drag pass counter. As such I've mostly abandoned the berimbolo as a primary sweep in favor of the more standard De La Riva back take against a stationary opponent. Only if the opponent sits down to counter do I roll into the berimbolo.

Any tips or insight you could provide would be great. I like how your video addressed misconceptions because there is indeed a lot of confusion and different guesses as to how the position fundamentally works.

Balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
Higher Learning

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balto View Post
The biggest problem I have with using the berimbolo as a primary sweep (i.e. force the opponent to sit down with the sweeping pressure vs. entice the opponent to sit down with the standard De La Riva back take) is the leg drag pass when the non-hooking leg is placed on the hip like shown.

The leg drag pass on the free leg is one of the toughest counters to the De La Riva guard, and I have always had trouble with it when I bring my free leg towards the hip that I have hooked with the De La Riva. If I keep my free leg on the opposite hip, the opponent typically backsteps around in a circle to keep his balance.

I have been able to force the sweep sometimes with my free leg on the hooked hip, but it's been inconsistent and very risky for me with the leg drag pass counter. As such I've mostly abandoned the berimbolo as a primary sweep in favor of the more standard De La Riva back take against a stationary opponent. Only if the opponent sits down to counter do I roll into the berimbolo.

Any tips or insight you could provide would be great. I like how your video addressed misconceptions because there is indeed a lot of confusion and different guesses as to how the position fundamentally works.
for me (and i am certain little tony can answer this better) is about the belt grip and pulling hard as you force the opponent to turn towards the mat, the combined pressure of your feet and the belt grip makes it very difficult for them to get the balance to leg drag you

Higher Learning is offline   Reply With Quote