Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
KhaledA

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Top 5 BJJ schools?

In your opinion at this current time what are your top 5 for the best schools to train BJJ in the US and most importantly, why?

KhaledA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 AM   #2
xMikeyX

Purple Belt

Wow- no one will be able to answer this without an established criteria-

Makes me think of Fortune magazine...

Is success determined by school size, tournament success, MMA success? How many people have trained at 5 different schools even- we should conduct a poll!

xMikeyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #3
Sebchenier
Mirabile dichtu, don't you agree?

Lloyd Irvine
The University of Jiu Jitsu
Gracie Barra (Rio)
Renzo Gracie - Manhattan
OAMA (my school hehe)

Old 05-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
ShanghaiBJJ

Brown Belt

Best to train at would mean a combination of good training partners and quality instruction.

Just from what I have heard on the internet, I would include:

- Alliance Headquarters in Atlanta
- Renzo Gracie Academy
- Cesar Gracie
- Uni JJ

Other schools I would love to visit... this is all based on personal sentiment anyway... are:

- Marcelo Garcia
- Alliance New York
- Ryan Hall's (maybe)
- Relson Gracie Hawaii
- Rilion Gracie

Old 05-14-2009, 10:43 AM   #5
KhaledA

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMikeyX View Post
Wow- no one will be able to answer this without an established criteria-

Makes me think of Fortune magazine...

Is success determined by school size, tournament success, MMA success? How many people have trained at 5 different schools even- we should conduct a poll!
Dude lol...Calm down. It's based on your PERSONAL opinion.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #6
xMikeyX

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaledA View Post
Dude lol...Calm down. It's based on your PERSONAL opinion.
?- How am I not calm?

I believe a lot of schools that produce many top BJJ names aren't necessarily the best places to train to start out at because of factory line like automation, inconsitency of instructors teaching you and huge class sizes. In order to get the personal attention and 1 on 1 experiences you'd get at other schools (they charge a lot and you have to do privates to get personal attention). Keep this in mind that success and best isn't the same for everyone and without criteria this thread is doomed- Im actually gonna start a thread about this topic- calmly- because vague threads tend to get dominated but noobs getting touchy.

xMikeyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Fedorzilla

Brown Belt

I trained in the Alliance Atlanta school for about 4 months... very deep water. Alliance has been winning a lot of tourneys as well (ex: worlds). I can't speak to the others though.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:57 AM   #8
KhaledA

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMikeyX View Post
?- How am I not calm?

I believe a lot of schools that produce many top BJJ names aren't necessarily the best places to train to start out at because of factory line like automation, inconsitency of instructors teaching you and huge class sizes. In order to get the personal attention and 1 on 1 experiences you'd get at other schools (they charge a lot and you have to do privates to get personal attention). Keep this in mind that success and best isn't the same for everyone and without criteria this thread is doomed- Im actually gonna start a thread about this topic- calmly- because vague threads tend to get dominated but noobs getting touchy.
Have fun my friend!

Old 05-14-2009, 11:11 AM   #9
ooitzoo

Purple Belt

I'm curious, of the schools that are listed how many have you trained at? As in, if you post up ur top 5 then post up which you have or havent trained at.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #10
KhaledA

Yellow Belt

Good idea.

Personally they don't have to be schools you've trained at but if you have some insight on it please share.