Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:47 PM   #1
nbo10

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Tell the difference between single and double weave

Hi all,
I purchased a bunch of gis when I first start bjj. But lately I only use one or two gis and want to sale the others. They are atama but I can't remember if they are single or double weave. Is there any way to tell the difference? I don't want to miss advertise. Thanks

Last edited by nbo10; 08-14-2011 at 05:53 PM.
nbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:51 PM   #2
andrewdabeast
Banned

are they thick or thin? light or heavy. weigh them

andrewdabeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
FortieSicks

Blue Belt

And what is the difference in grappling btween Single or double weave?
Just an ad-on to the thread, not hijacking

FortieSicks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
HulmeHardy**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortieSicks View Post
Quote:
Judogi are sold in many thicknesses, which can be generally grouped together in the two classes: single-weave and double-weave. Single-weave judogi are thinner and weigh less (upper jacket textile fabric weight usually 300550 g/m2). The thinner judogi are less durable, although some judoka (judo practitioners) may prefer them for long practices as they are less likely to foster overheating. Double-weave judogi are thicker and weigh more (fabric weight usually 6501050 g/m2). They are harder to grab than single-weave gis, which is considered an advantage in competition. Double-weave gis shrink less and those of high quality are often sold entirely pre-shrunk, this is important to know when comparing the fit of the gi. Double-weave gis generally cost considerably more than single-weave gis of comparable quality.

Pants by themselves should not be classified as single-weave or double-weave as the name only refers to the weaving style used for the upper section of the jacket. However, pants sold together with double-weave jackets will also tend to be heavier than normal due to stronger fabric or large reinforced sections.

Double-weave jackets designed for competition usually display a prominent seam that runs down the back of the jacket, joining two halves of fabric. Starting in the late nineties, some manufacturers made this overlapping part very wide, in effect doubling the fabric thickness for a large section of the back. This blocked the opponent from gripping there, which in 2005 caused the International Judo Federation to ban fighting in international competitions using a judogi with back seam area wider than 3 cm (a little more than one inch). Wider designs could still be permitted in local competitions depending on national rules. Single-weave jackets usually have no back seam, or a narrow one which only joins two fabric sections without interfering with grips.
Wiki

HulmeHardy** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
risingD

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbo10 View Post
Hi all,
I purchased a bunch of gis when I first start bjj. But lately I only use one or two gis and want to sale the others. They are atama but I can't remember if they are single or double weave. Is there any way to tell the difference? I don't want to miss advertise. Thanks
I guess one of them is as double as thick than the other.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #6
nbo10

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingD View Post
I guess one of them is as double as thick than the other.
Both of them are either single or double.

nbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:04 PM   #7
notafighter86

Blue Belt

Without wanting to make matters worse, bjj gis are often sold in gold & platinum weaves that are slightly thicker than single weave. Double weaves are really thick, as in difficult to grab hold of. I certainly wouldn't train BJJ in my Mizuno double weave.

Try to search online of the gi that matches what you have, or the price if you remember it. Failing that take it to training next time and compare it to someone elses gi, especially if someone else trains in a double.

notafighter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:04 AM   #8
ElKarlo

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FortieSicks View Post
Double weave is hot and heavy. If you have summer in your country, def don't wear a dw during the summer, it is awful.

i don't see the point in going double weave, myself. My single weave gis have lasted me multiple years, and are made well. While DW is just heavier, and not fun to wear.

If WWII was a fashion show we'd be speaking German

WINTER IS COMING
ElKarlo is offline   Reply With Quote