Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
asphyxia

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Submission Master Grappling Dummy

Anyone with positive or negative experiences with these?
Submission Master Grappling Dummy/ Jiu Jitsu Dummy For BJJ & MMA

My reason for purchase: I'm sick of having to think through moves as I'm doing them while rolling. I want each technique to be a natural response to the actions of my opponent.

I have a very good work ethic and know that if drilling on the dummy helps me (even a little bit) then I'll religiously do it everyday. When my instructor told me that I wasn't flexible I began stretching for an hour every day. When I began playing guitar I played/practiced scales for a minimum of 6 hours/day for approximately 4 years.

I also believe that even though the dummy sells for $500 I would probably be able to resell it for at least $350 (I'm in San Diego, BJJ capital of the US). A $150-200 loss wouldn't be too significant, especially if I were able to perfect and make more fluid some of the techniques I'm not efficient at.

I can't get anyone to let me practice 100 armbars on each side. I'd like to use the dummy to go through what I've just learned in class a few more times to solidify it in my head.

I'm afraid of developing bad habits. I will of course be also rolling with real people on a daily basis but will use the dummy to perfect my technique (go through it slowly - slow is fast, fast is slow mindset) in order to program myself. I want to develop muscle memory and have each attack be reactive and in response to what my opponent gives. In order to develop this responsiveness I believe you must be comfortable enough with the technique in order to do it without thinking smoothly and effectively.

Are there any better dummies out there or is this basically the best for submissions?

asphyxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Dynassty

Blue Belt

I don't care how immature this sounds.... but

I have soooooo many dirty thoughts going through my head....... put a wig on it.....wait nevermind

Dynassty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
asphyxia

Orange Belt

wtf?

I was talking to my GF and told her I wanted the dummy because if ever she didn't want to roll with me (she does BJJ as well) then I could just go masturbate in the bedroom with the dummy. Metaphorically of course!

Old 05-18-2010, 06:01 PM   #4
sandmann

Orange Belt

I gotta say that one looks pretty good compared to other dummies. I wonder if after a while it loses its stiffness.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:39 PM   #5
asphyxia

Orange Belt

Yeah, the only one I've seen that even comes close is the Maximus dummy but I think that may only be shipped within New Zealand. I like the fact that it has joints, however, it doesn't really look like it postures up in your guard.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
King Creatine

Purple Belt

My buddy did a review:

Review of the Submission Master Grappling Dummy – Drilling | JiuJitsuMap.com

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f49/weather-vane-approach-1372971/
King Creatine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
nathan951

Orange Belt

the submission master looks very good because its legs and arms stay in the same position. i have the bubba 2 and i am really not happy with it because it doesnt stay where you want it to

nathan951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
nohuff

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan951 View Post
the submission master looks very good because its legs and arms stay in the same position. i have the bubba 2 and i am really not happy with it because it doesnt stay where you want it to
hmm... I just ordered a bubba 2.

Bubba® Dummy - The Ultimate Grappling Dummy

nohuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #9
xMikeyX

Purple Belt

I have one- I dont use it as much as I should- its hard to break in- but I broke mine in- Id recommend you have at least 15 x 15 feet space and mats if you plan on buying one- I also would recommend knee pads and an extra gi.

An A5 would be ideal for it. I use it mostly for top game- and its punched me in the face really hard before when attempting a reverse omoplata.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #10
asphyxia

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xMikeyX View Post
I have one- I dont use it as much as I should- its hard to break in- but I broke mine in- Id reccomnd you have at least 20 x 20 feet space and mats if you plan on buying one- I also would reccomend knee pads and an extra gi.
Why would I need that big of an area? That's ridiculous!
I'm going to have approx. 10x10 of mat space.