Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
lowdown1

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
staying calm during confrontation

so im curious if anyone has any teq or strategy that helps you stay calm during a street or self defense situation, so you can apply your jiujitsu under heavy stress.

lowdown1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Brian2

Blue Belt

the best way to get out of a sub is to not get in it. the best way to stay calm in a fight is to not get in it

Brian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #3
lowdown1

Orange Belt

im quite aware of those two facts yoda but thanks for trying. lets try again. if in a inescapable self-defense situation, the blood pressure rises fight or flight kicks in heart is racing etc. so how to combat those primal feelings and defend yourself with a cool and clear mind

Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #4
nothinbutMHS

Orange Belt

do not take part in somebody's game leading up to the fight. like brian said, avoid at all costs. agree with him when he calls you a pussy and tell him he will win the fight anyway.

IF you must fight, again, don't take part in his game. he attacked you, i know, and you wanna hurt him before he hurts you. BUT you can get in way too much trouble these days for "self defense" and, to be honest, i wouldn't call an experienced grappler/fighter snapping some mouthy punk's arms or smashing out his teeth anything but excessive force anyway. use your bread and butter - take him to the floor and apply a choke if you must. before just rushing to choke him, tell him you are going to. say "i can really hurt you right now and i'm not. if you keep fighting, i will have to."

only push as hard as your being pushed and use discretion. i know it won't ever be as easy as i said above, but you're ignorant if you're one of the people who's all "if someone hit me i'd put him in a triangle, elbow a gash on his forehead, and bury my thumbs in his eyes!". most dudes starting fights are easy enough to hold down in side control or mount, so unless you're a total beginner to the sport you shouldn't have a problem keeping your cool and protecting yourself at the moment and in the sense of liability.

all that said, i'm a very calm person and have only ever raised my voice at my brothers when i was a kid. some people aren't the same, i guess.

nothinbutMHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
[Tycho?]

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown1 View Post
so im curious if anyone has any teq or strategy that helps you stay calm during a street or self defense situation, so you can apply your jiujitsu under heavy stress.
Practice?

The only way I know of to stay calm during such high adrenaline situations it to have some experience. If you're in or around a confrontation that may be violent, you get adrenaline. Once you have experience with this, you can control it.

I personally think competing is good for that. If you grapple in a tournament you're going to be nervous as fuck for your first match, and you'll probably get tired about a minute in from the huge adrenaline dump that your system takes. After a while you get used to it.

While in a high adrenaline situation, you always have to remember to take a deep breath, focus, and think. Easier said than done I realize.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 PM   #6
lechien

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown1 View Post
Have you competed in BJJ?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:47 PM   #7
Mike Wilson Jr.
Amateur Fighter

Breath. Calm your breathing, and trust your training.

I know thats what every one always says, but trust me, controlled breathing is a vital part of fighting. Whether it be MMA, BJJ, or on the Streets.

I work on this everytime i train, and its served me well in the past. When i have been in street altercations (ive spoken about a couple defense situations in previous posts), i subdued the person.

Generally speaking, people who start troubles dont have the cardio to fight for more than a minute. And as someone who trains daily, i do.

So my best chances especially against a larger opponent (im only 5'9 155) are to take the fight to the ground, and tire him until i can either finish him with strikes, or wait till the police show.

Grappling for a person who doesnt grapple, is exhausting. And establishing a dominant position in a streetfight (imo, mount or back mount) is vital to your ability to subdue him, and hopefully not be forced to hurt him, as you would have to do if you were just boxing with him.

"A belt covers 2 inches of your ass, its up to you to cover the rest."

Just STFU and train...
Mike Wilson Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 PM   #8
lowdown1

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Tycho?] View Post
Practice?

The only way I know of to stay calm during such high adrenaline situations it to have some experience. If you're in or around a confrontation that may be violent, you get adrenaline. Once you have experience with this, you can control it.

I personally think competing is good for that. If you grapple in a tournament you're going to be nervous as fuck for your first match, and you'll probably get tired about a minute in from the huge adrenaline dump that your system takes.

While in a high adrenaline situation, you always have to remember to take a deep breath, focus, and think. Easier said than done I realize.
i can relate to the turney adrenaline, i did horrible at my first blue belt turney i was way more nervous then i needed to be and performed poorly. im a pritty laid back kind of guy but i work at a bar and sometimes confrontation just happens. I take direct confrontation very seriously and probably need to just take a step back and relax and realize that people are drunk and stupid.

Old 03-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
teamcarvalho

Green Belt

You are always going to be scared....it is natural. Some people can control their fears better than others.

Other than getting into a lot of real fights....training would be the next best way.......hard sparring in training where you are actually getting hit and you hitting back. You don't have to be an MMA fighter to train this way.

Remember the way you train is the way you are going to fight......your skills will take over.

“Competition Jiu-Jitsu represents only 30% of real Jiu-Jitsu."
teamcarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #10
wiseguy$$

Blue Belt

Staying "calm" comes from training ,sparing and so forth.
Iv offen wonderd what kind of troubel would come out of breaking a arm or leg on a person?

wiseguy$$ is offline   Reply With Quote