Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
Budo Jake

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Rolled Up Episode 30: Evolution through Diversification with Erik Paulson

Erik Paulson is the subject of this episode filmed at the CSW Training Center in Fullerton, California. Erik is extremely knowledgeable in Catch Wrestling, Jiu-jitsu, wrestling, silat, kali, jun fan gung fu and a variety of other arts. Learn from the man who coaches Josh Barnett, Sean Sherk, Brock Lesnar and also find out why Erik won't just roll with anyone.

Check it out here:

Rolled Up Episode 30: Evolution through Diversification with Erik Paulson Budovideos Online

It will be up on iTunes within the next 24 hours.

Enjoy!

Old 11-16-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
dokomoy

Blue Belt

Holy crap at about 30 minutes in

dokomoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:09 PM   #3
Balto

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokomoy View Post
Holy crap at about 30 minutes in
I guess he won't be rolling with Eddie anytime soon.

Balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:11 PM   #4
DVD review guy

Green Belt

WOW. He might have a hard time finding anyone to roll with.

DVD review guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
TheAth-ah-lete

Purple Belt

Dammit! Video not working on that link for iPhone. What is so crazy at 30mins in?

TheAth-ah-lete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:39 PM   #6
Drew Foster

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD review guy View Post
WOW. He might have a hard time finding anyone to roll with.
Yeah I was surprised when I saw that part.

On the other hand, it's like, say you have a few vices...who doesn't? If you're overall a positive person with a good attitude I think Erik would pick up on that and have no problem rolling with you. Maybe I'm wrong on that, and if you smoked a joint once a month or went to a bar one night a week he would ask you, or pick up on it, and turn you down?

Definitely an interesting cat.

Drew Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
fiftysvn

Purple Belt

He sounds like a wacko with that negative energy and sage talk. I respect his skills, but jeez, what a loon.

Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 PM   #8
Drew Foster

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAth-ah-lete View Post
Dammit! Video not working on that link for iPhone. What is so crazy at 30mins in?
He says that he used to roll with everybody and would have these awful nightmares. He saw his shaman, or someone like that, and they told him the negative energy of certain people was rubbing off onto him (literally) because of the close contact involved in rolling. He says he looks into people's eyes and "feels" their auras and will not roll with people he gets a bad vibe from. Bad vibes could come from activities like drug use, drinking, chasing women, etc. He also said he prays and meditates every day, and will cleanse spots all around his house with sage while saying certain prayers. He also "cleanses" his dog in the same fashion.

He goes into other stuff about the most important things above your passion in life are where you go when you die and your family. He said "if the dojo is your church then when you die, I guess you'll just stay in the dojo" or something to that effect.

Very interesting interview.

Drew Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:42 AM   #9
TheAth-ah-lete

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Foster View Post
He says that he used to roll with everybody and would have these awful nightmares. He saw his shaman, or someone like that, and they told him the negative energy of certain people was rubbing off onto him (literally) because of the close contact involved in rolling. He says he looks into people's eyes and "feels" their auras and will not roll with people he gets a bad vibe from. Bad vibes could come from activities like drug use, drinking, chasing women, etc. He also said he prays and meditates every day, and will cleanse spots all around his house with sage while saying certain prayers. He also "cleanses" his dog in the same fashion.

He goes into other stuff about the most important things above your passion in life are where you go when you die and your family. He said "if the dojo is your church then when you die, I guess you'll just stay in the dojo" or something to that effect.

Very interesting interview.
Thanks, that is very interesting, and doesn't seem COMPLETELY nuts to me. I've recently gotten away from some people in my life because of the negative things they do that I don't want to be associated with, and of course I don't want to roll with people I don't like. Them causing bad dreams is kind of odd though...

Old 11-17-2011, 04:21 AM   #10
Bullheaded

Green Belt

The submission he showed were awesome.