Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
romeowrestler

White Belt

vCash: 500
Renzo Gracie Academy or Marcelo Garcia Academy?

I live in NYC and am looking to get into BJJ. Which school is better?

romeowrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #2
879lexus

Blue Belt

Gracie academy has alot of students (in the hundreds or even over 1000). They are all not training at the same time. But with so many students, how many black belts are there walking around the class giving individualized attention?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #3
ShanghaiBJJ

Brown Belt

They are both very good I am sure. Check them out both and stick with the one you like better.

Also check out Shaolin's place and Alliance NYC.

I would probably train at the Alliance NYC, just because Lucas Lepri' style seems a good fit for what I like to do and he is close tomy weight.

However, I would still check out all the other schools first. Marcelo would be great fit as well.

Some people here are gonna tell you good things about one school and bad things (from their point of view) about others.

All schools named are great and you should base your opinion on a visit, not on what someone tells you.

Vibe is very important and different for everybody.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #4
ShanghaiBJJ

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 879lexus View Post
Gracie academy has alot of students (in the hundreds or even over 1000). They are all not training at the same time. But with so many students, how many black belts are there walking around the class giving individualized attention?
See there you go with the negative comments....

They have more than enough BBs, some of them legendary instructors.

And the upside of a large student body is obvious, especially at the upper belts. I guarantee you that there will always be someone there to roll and give you a challenge, even if you are purple belt and up.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #5
SuperSuperRambo
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 879lexus View Post
I've taken John Danaher's morning submission grappling class. On a day that he wasn't even there, there were 30 students, and about 7 black belts. My first two matches that day were black belts. The thing about Renzo's black belts is that most of them are in the NY metro area and still train at the main academy at least semi-regularly. So at any given time, there are likely to be a number of black belts in-house, and it's an excellent place to find a consistent selection of high-level training partners.

To the TS, you can't go wrong. Both of them offer top notch training and instruction. Try both out and see which you like. There are also other great options in the area.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
romeowrestler

White Belt

Which is the best school in the city for No-Gi training, in terms of number of sessions offered per week and number of workout partners involved in competition?

romeowrestler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
SuperSuperRambo
Senior Moderator

Well Renzo's by nature of its size and number of instructors and students, will have the most classes and overall training partners. But I'm positive that Marcelo teaches no gi, and that he has multiple classes, and that there are quality training partners there as well.

As far as competition, Renzo's school probably produces more competitors, but it's probably because they have many many more students. Again, if it's between these two, I would suggest trying them both out.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #8
Oak
栄誉

MG and Renzo both offer a lot of nogi, just check the schedules on their websites to see who offers more.

I have checked out every school in Manhattan and all are good, but as far as the Alliance NYC recommendation goes, ya they have some great talent in there, but my living room is the same size as their rolling area, and I don't live in a huge apt. It was a turn off to me but some other people might not mind.

I don't think you can go wrong with any school though, but I have to agree with Rambo that Renzo's will probably have the most black belts training at any given time. If you are a white belt, or only looking for no-gi that wont make much of a difference to you though imo.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:54 AM   #9
SuperSuperRambo
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oak View Post
If you are a white belt, or only looking for no-gi that wont make much of a difference to you though imo.
Exactly. If you're just starting, you'll get good instruction at any of the main schools in the City. And I wouldn't limit yourself to no gi if you're just starting.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
MUFC
Banned

Attend classes at both schools, I am sure they offer trials.

After attending classes at both schools, decide which you like better.

Easy victory.

MUFC is offline   Reply With Quote