Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:51 AM   #1
Acexwanderer

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Reaping the knee

Can someone please explain to me clearly with a picture preferably what reaping the knee is?

From what I have seen and read I can't be right, from what I understand reaping the knee is when you wrap your outside leg over his leg and put your leg across his hips but that's how I've always been taught to finish leg locks and its not dangerous.

I'm confused have I got the wrong image of reaping the knee or is this one of those bs rules like not grabbing the head for the triangle?

Acexwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #2
nefti

Black Belt

you can pull on the head on a triangle.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:07 AM   #3
redaxe

Silver Belt

you are right, what you described is reaping the knee, and it is illegal in gi BJJ.

You need to keep your foot from crossing his hip from the outside, or you will get DQ'ed.

redaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Acexwanderer

Blue Belt

The comps where I come from don't allow pulling the head down to finish the triangle and no guillotines for white belts, its ridiculous.

If you can't reap the knee then how are you supposed to finish straight ankle locks? I've always been taught to reap the knee., I wasn't aware that it was a problem.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
BJJ Coffee Drinker
Amateur Fighter

what if the guy grabs your foot/ankle when you go for the footlock and pulls it across to make it reap their leg? do you still get DQ?

just because something is f'ked up, it doesn't mean it can't be funny
BJJ Coffee Drinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:06 AM   #6
phillys-finest

Black Belt

Anybody got a pic or vid?

Prayer does work and ALLAH is greater.

Samdog VP
phillys-finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 08:24 AM   #7
nefti

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acexwanderer View Post
The comps where I come from don't allow pulling the head down to finish the triangle and no guillotines for white belts, its ridiculous.

If you can't reap the knee then how are you supposed to finish straight ankle locks? I've always been taught to reap the knee., I wasn't aware that it was a problem.
are your comps adult cbjj/ibjjf? and yes you can finish the footlock without reaping the knee.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:09 AM   #8
xMikeyX

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASiAnVaLEtUDo View Post
what if the guy grabs your foot/ankle when you go for the footlock and pulls it across to make it reap their leg? do you still get DQ?
Asking because of Fowler? Trust me people are looking into this right now on the Pan thread and otherwise. I am not a lawyer nor have I experience getting called for a reap. But Fowler seemed to pull his opponent's foot into a dangerous area and then seemingly tapped out having a conversation with the ref.

What you been up to Hawaii #2?

Old 04-12-2010, 10:06 AM   #9
Acexwanderer

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefti View Post
are your comps adult cbjj/ibjjf? and yes you can finish the footlock without reaping the knee.
Last time I competed the comps were under ibjjf rules and guillotines were allowed but I'm not a white belt so it doesn't affect me. I haven't competed in a while but I believe its the ibjjf rules for the world trials but maybe not for the other comps.

I know you can finish the straight ankle lock without reaping the knee but if you could there's no reason not to reap the knee? It makes the straight ankle lock less effective. I'm trying to understand understand why this rule is in place, sure you could possibly hurt someones knee but I've never seen it happen and I've never felt in danger when my leg is reaped surely there must be some proof.

Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM   #10
Five by Five

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillys-finest View Post
Anybody got a pic or vid?
great descriptions and photos from andrew smith:
Goatfury's blog: U.S. Grappling rules: straight footlock legality

Five by Five is offline   Reply With Quote