Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 03-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #21
gfxprotege

White Belt

vCash: 500
booked my airfare! I'll be able to train any time on monday or tuesday, woot!
I plan on checking out Easton on Monday night. Any suggestions for Tuesday?

Last edited by gfxprotege; 03-02-2012 at 12:41 PM.
gfxprotege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
beeran1

Green Belt

TS - What area of Denver will you be staying in? Hard to narrow the food-and-beer choices without knowing. EDIT: just saw your last post. We have an Intermediate class on Tuesday morning (11) and night (7:15), I'm sure you could stop by then. Tuesday mornings bring some particularly tough guys, but either time is good.

Uchi Mata - Sounds good man. Your goals are similar to mine. Feel free to PM me on here if you have any more questions.

ATecce - I've never done a headcount, but it seems that half of the guys I go against in tourneys are from Easton, and there are a lot of schools around here now. I've beaten and lost to guys from your school, and I'm not knocking it in any way. You definitely have some tough guys. I'm just saying that overall medals/points isn't always a good way to measure school quality, as we (and perhaps other schools) do well on a medal-per-competitor basis.

beeran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 PM   #23
gfxprotege

White Belt

I'll be staying in the lakewood area, but I really want to explore as much as I can. I'll travel far and wide to sit down for a nice craft brew =)

Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM   #24
beeran1

Green Belt

Check out Falling Rock Tap House in Lodo for an immense beer selection. Food is ok too, though nothing special. If you want a real treat food-wise, check out Buchi Cafe Cubano, which will be about a 25 min drive from Lakewood. Cuban sandwiches, great coffee and mojitos. Lots of good Pho around (try Pho 95), if you're into that. A place called Root Down in West Denver is the sorta-new hotness and offers mostly organic, local stuff, not to mention a great happy hour. Honestly, you can't throw a rock without hitting a place with a great beer selection here, so I'd base my decisions on food more than drink.

Old 03-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #25
LoopChoke

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATecce View Post
While it's true that Easton has a pretty large organization, I don't know if it's true that we bring more competitors than anyone else. We have a fair amount of people who don't compete at all. So don't write off our tournament performances.
I have watched all the colorado tournaments for the last 4 years and while Easton has some good guys that consistently win tournaments most of the team points comes from sheer numbers from white and blue belts and having representation what it seems to be at every bracket including kids, teens, and masters. Beyond white and blue belt, the competitor numbers are more in line with what other schools are able to bring.

LoopChoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 03:20 AM   #26
irc

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopChoke View Post
I have watched all the colorado tournaments for the last 4 years and while Easton has some good guys that consistently win tournaments most of the team points comes from sheer numbers from white and blue belts and having representation what it seems to be at every bracket including kids, teens, and masters. Beyond white and blue belt, the competitor numbers are more in line with what other schools are able to bring.
What about the black belt division?

Old 03-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #27
LoopChoke

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by irc View Post
What about the black belt division?
There are definitely more black belts at Easton but most of them do not compete at the local tournaments. Most of the local CO tournaments usually only have 1-2 black belts who compete regularly and they are from Dark Horse. The last tournament the brown/black belt division was combined and the black belt was from another school.

LoopChoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #28
gfxprotege

White Belt

does anyone have any information on mile high or denver bjj?

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Mile High Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Wheat Ridge, CO Home
Denver Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts - Denver BJJ MMA and Muay Thai Kickboxing

Both are about a 5 minute drive from where I'll be living.

Old 03-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #29
ijustwannasurf

Brown Belt

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxprotege View Post

Denver Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Mixed Martial Arts - Denver BJJ MMA and Muay Thai Kickboxing

Mile High Gracie has been around forever. I've rolled with Morgan a few times, and always had fun. Super smooth, old school Royce style. I've never been to that academy, though.

The Relson team here has quite a few small academies, but I'm pretty sure the one in Lakewood is the HQ. They've had some tough guys at the last few comps.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #30
beeran1

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfxprotege View Post

I've never heard of either one, but if you're in Lakewood or Wheatridge, you could also check out Grudge Training Center on Kipling. Big-time MMA gym, but I believe they do some gi training as well.