Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Closed Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:31 AM   #2021
MedicWhite

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
you thought about turning this into a book?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:50 AM   #2022
Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt

I do have a steady girlfriend now.

This does not mean that I will not interact with women, nor does it mean that I will not have some great stories.

This weeks blog is going to be a good one guys!

The internet has been extremely slow for the last two days and I haven't been able to upload the video technique. I'm going to write the blog today but if I do not get the technique uploaded I may have to wait another day or two to update. Sorry

Yes I have thought about making this into a book.

Stay tuned for a pretty great week.

Jeremy

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/moving-brazil-05-06-2009-a-969605/index28.html

My website www.greatgrappling.com Check it out!
Old 06-20-2010, 04:25 PM   #2023
Ketaris

White Belt

After living in Fortaleza for about half of a year now, I have to admit that the women here are not what they are cracked up to be. There are, of course, some beautiful women, but there is an equally fair share of women I'd rather not discuss. It's possible that the situation is different in the southern half of the country, but I have not spent nearly enough time there to have an opinion. Also, this is coming from someone who really likes the skin tones this area of the world has to offer.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #2024
Varth

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketaris View Post
After living in Fortaleza for about half of a year now, I have to admit that the women here are not what they are cracked up to be. There are, of course, some beautiful women, but there is an equally fair share of women I'd rather not discuss. It's possible that the situation is different in the southern half of the country, but I have not spent nearly enough time there to have an opinion. Also, this is coming from someone who really likes the skin tones this area of the world has to offer.
Come on down South. The women way down south are known for being stunningly beautiful and the girls in Rio and São Paulo are the best taken care of. You won't be dissapointed. Sure there are the ugly ones but where aren't there ugly people?

Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #2025
Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt

(Post 1/2)

I was asked earlier this week if I felt the need to act crazy, or create situations in order to have content for my blogs. This never even occurred to me and the thought of orchestrating events seems like it could lead to some really over the top blog entries. The problem is I'm not sure I could deal with something crazier than the reality of living in Rio.

Let me take Saturday night as an example. The evening started off with a “going away meal” at a Brazilian all you can eat restaurant called Torro. One of the guys from the house really likes the restaurant and typically we give the choice of eating to the person who's leaving. After eating the majority of the people wanted to go to the club right around the corner called Nuth (some of you will remember it from my previous blog entries). As most of you know I'm not typically the type of person that likes to go clubbing so Jesse (a new addition to the house) and I decided to return home and make it an early night.

We took a cab from the restaurant to the round-about next to our house so that we could grab a quick drink before walking to the house. As we rounded the corner to head home we saw two of our house mates at the local bar drinking a beer and decided to stop in and say hey. After greeting us they explained that wanted to go out and invited us along. For some reason unbeknownst to me I inquired where they were going and before I knew what I knew it I had agreed to go to Ipanemea and join them for some fun at Emporium (a popular bar in Ipanemea).

After arriving at the bar we grabbed some drinks and looked around. There weren't any open tables and it appeared that the only way we were going to be able to sit down was to mingle. Jesse, the new guy from Canada, who just happens to be a 6'5 pale white giant, decides to meander over to a group of females and try to get us a seat. After a few moments speaking with the girls he waved us over and much to my surprise it was a table full of English speaking Brazilians.

We spent a couple of hours talking about the differences in culture, the differences in language and having a generally great time. Jesse was clearly interested in one of the girls and it appeared she returned the interest so I spent most of the time entertaining the friends of the girl Jesse was talking to. Somewhere along the line our friends left in search of girls and after awhile the friends decided to get up and go outside for a smoke. I took the moment to order another coke zero and use the restroom.

As I returned to the table I ran into the girls from outside as they returned from smoking. I took my seat next to Jesse at the table and the girls introduced me to another girl that they met outside. She seemed nice enough and it was explained that she too, spoke English. She sat down next to me and started to got close.

I tried to use as much body language as possible to show I was not interested. I turned my knees away and avoided eye contact but she continued to rub her knees against mine. I decided to use a different approach and directly engage the girl. I hardened myself and turned my full attention on this ...well that's up for debate at this point.

As many of you know there are a lot of transsexuals in Brazil. I've had a couple of run-in situations where I've had to interact with transsexuals and honestly it doesn't bother me. As I started to talk to her I realized she does not speak English nearly as well as the other girls at the table so I decided to keep it simple. I asked her “what do you do for work” in Portuguese and she explained to me that in the day she is a hair dresser, in the afternoon she studies English and in the evenings she's a prostitute...

Has anyone ever told you something and you try to keep the poker face but struggle? I tried to think of where to take the conversation from there, and I think she sensed my anxiety level kick up a notch because she put her hand on my knee and started to slide a little up my leg. I did what any man who is confronted with sex from an unwanted prostitute would do... I started talking about my grandmother.

I spent the next 10 minutes explaining how my grandmother cut hair for 42 years and then I spent another 10 minutes talking about learning a second language. I didn't know anything else about her and I started to panic. The only two subjects left were sex change ...and sex. I looked across the table and Jesse was oblivious. He was way too engrossed in the girl he was kissing. The other girls finally saw me blinking S.O.S and intervened. I still don't know exactly what they said, but the girl departed as quickly as she arrived.

After she left the table we had a good laugh and we took a picture to commemorate the first time I've been propositioned by a prostitute...now can you imagine what would have happened if I had orchestrated an event for the blog? I couldn't make this up if I wanted to, I'm just not that creative.

Moving far, far far far away from the subject of prostitution,

Sometimes things are lost in translation, other times things are totally sabotaged in translation. There is a restaurant by the movie theater that serves some American looking food. It is a steakhouse and the look and feel is something close to a Lone Star or a Longhorn steakhouse.

Like many restaurants around the world, this restaurant proudly posts it's menu out front for people to browse and decide if they want to eat there. I looked over the menu and had a good laugh. I'm not sure if the person they paid to translate the menu was pissed off that day or just out for a good laugh, but either way it was picture worthy. As you can see from the photo I have made my dining choice.

I couldn't bring myself to eat this burger, but I may brave it next time to tell you if it does indeed taste as though its name implies.

The World Cup is in full swing and I've had the privilege of sitting in a crowd of Brazilians as they cheer for their team. To say they are passionate about “football” (soccer) would be the understatement of the century. When a goal is scored people go absolutely ape shit (there is no other term that comes to mind). People scream, throw fireworks and I think dynamite....yes I'm serious.

I wondered for a long time why the roads are so messed up, now I know. The size of the fireworks that they throw are definitely illegal in the states, and it reminded me of my time spent in Iraq. I can't imagine what those sticks of dynamite would do if they blew up in someones hand. Regardless of the damage, I can't think they would go to the hospital while the game was still on.

The Brazilians take the game so seriously that they shut down most businesses and it's like a Brazilian national holiday. Think of how serious people get at Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter, and multiply that times 10. The buses still operate but they slow down as they come close to bars so that they can see the score. At times, the buses will just stop in the street if there is an intense moment...it really is incredible.

Jack and I watched the first game at Rommel's bar. When we showed up we were given Brazilian flags and other brightly colored memorabilia to wear. As you can see from this picture we're having a great time.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/moving-brazil-05-06-2009-a-969605/index28.html

Old 06-21-2010, 07:50 PM   #2026
Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt

(Post 2/2)

We've been doing a lot of activities as a group. It's kind of funny because we are a really diverse group of people; we represent at least six countries and we are in all shapes and sizes. When we go places we really draw attention, but it's always good natured. Earlier this week we all went as a group to Fronteria (one of my favorite pizza places) and enjoyed a meal. This is the closest I've been with people outside of the military. Here is a picture that the waiter took for us.

After dinner most of us continued on for a movie. Toy Story 3 recently came out down here and a couple of us were super excited...so excited that we had everyone pose with their 3D glasses on before we even got into the theater. I know all the Brazilians were laughing their asses off as we looked like a mix of the Blues Brothers and Rain Man.

After we got into the theater Danielle and I took another picture with our 3D glasses. For those of you who do not know about Danielle, she is a kickboxing champion from Holland and she's a blue belt in Brazilian Jiujitsu. It was nice to go to the movies with someone as excited about cinematic adventures as I am!

Now moving onto the portion of my blog dedicated to training.

Training has been going extremely well...MUCH better than I had imagined or could have hoped for. I am performing far above my expectations. I'm not bragging, but trying to give an accurate depiction of how I am progressing. I have been more than holding my own against a large portion of the black belts. There are a couple that I have had very good matches with, but there is a group that I positionally dominate as well. I'm not finishing as many black belts as I would like, but I'm not getting finished either.

My goals for the next few weeks include a higher percentage of spider guard passes, and higher submission rates. I would include better cardio but this week I started working out without my rib binder and it is making a HUGE difference. I knew that having a piece of cloth and elastic holding my chest tightly was screwing with my breathing, but I would never have imagined that it would effect my grappling this much. I'm going 3-4 eight to ten minute rounds back to back and I'm not gassing out. This is something that I was having a really hard time doing previously...what I'm basically saying is...life is good.

In preparation for the upcoming tournament I was asked by Dennis to run the afternoon classes at the Academy. What this means is teaching experience for me in Brazil and an opportunity to implement some of my concepts in my curriculum. I will be looking to teach at least once class a day and take one class a day. I may be able to up that count in the future, but I need to leave time to refine my curriculum and start filming techniques.

Speaking of filming techniques; this week's technique continues from Half Guard and gives some options when you do not get the under-hook. As you can see this sweep/reversal works from the kimura grip (also referred to as the “T-wrap”). This is a great move that I use frequently. Next week I will film a second option for when your opponent bases back and defends this sweep/reversal.

I keep referring this to this as a “sweep/reversal” because it really depends on the referee as to if you get points or not. If you initiate this move from half guard you will get the points but if your opponent stabilizes in side control for a few seconds before you take them over you will not get any points (at least not from a good referee). Experiment with this move and let me know what you think.

Lastly, I would like to post a picture that I took in class this week. Here are a few of the black belts from class and also a couple of the brown belts. I've been training hard and the heat from grappling has affected the quality of the picture but there is nothing I can do about it. Taking pictures after training hard sometimes steams up the camera...that's how you know you're doing it right.

That brings this blog to a close, thank you for reading and I look forward to your responses

The Gerbil.

Old 06-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #2027
illmatic 24

Blue Belt

First one in! Excellent job portraying me as a lady's man Gerbil. I didn't hear about the menu and definitely laughed out loud. Hell, I might even watch your video and suprise you with something before these 3 months are up =)

Old 06-21-2010, 10:24 PM   #2028
Murci

Yellow Belt

that (in the cinema) is one the the best photobombs i have ever seen!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 PM   #2029
Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murci View Post
that (in the cinema) is one the the best photobombs i have ever seen!
I totally agree. We had a great laugh over it.

Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 PM   #2030
CyberFreq

Blue Belt

Nice HG move. I need to show that to one of the guys in my gym because he likes to use the kimura-grip from bottom half.

Closed Thread