Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt

vCash: 500
Moving to Brazil on 05/06/2009

Hey Guys,

Just as the title says I'm moving to Brazil for 6 month to train. I'm super excited but it's been a long road of getting everything put together. The passport, the visa, living arrangements, raising money and dealing with injuries.

Thankfully I had help from someone that I met on this forum and have everything planned out, it should be a very positive experience. I plan on training between 3 and 4 times a day and elevating my game as much as possible. I'm a seasoned purple belt but I am no longer affiliated with a BJJ school so it will be hard for me to advance in rank (I had a difference in opinion with my last instructor that resulted in me going to a non BJJ school).

Currently I train 10-15 times a week and I am a full time instructor for grappling and my ultimate goal is to compete in the Abu Dhabi. What I'm saying is....I'm going for it!

I'm going to keep this thread up and let everyone know how the training is going. I'll also try to use this as a tool to let people know how to make it happen for them if they want to go train in Brazil. Rioconnection was a great help (the guy that helped me on here) and can answer most of your questions. Anything I cant answer directly I'll find out the answer to and get back to you.

I'M PUMPED!
The Gerbil

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/moving-brazil-05-06-2009-a-969605/index28.html

My website www.greatgrappling.com Check it out!
Old 05-01-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
ringwerm

Yellow Belt

Been there done that. Be careful. Buy some Brazilian clothes first thing.

Never carry a towel to the beach. Criminals will know you're a gringo. Don't over-train like I did because Its super hot there and the humidity will kill you. Whatever happens avoid getting injured and tap quick. Some brazilians are sick of Gringoes and will crank the hell out of subs even after you tap. Choose your training partners carefully.

Get used to training in a sweaty, smelly gi because laundry is expensive and most people do not have dryers. It takes almost 24 hours to hang dry a gi sometimes so make sure you have 4 or 5 tops.

Have fun! I had the best time ever!

If you're in Rio and you want directions to a really cheap/safe/discrete whore house in the Uruguaiana PM me.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
ringwerm

Yellow Belt

Get ready for this:

Old 05-01-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
BigDD

White Belt

Let me know how it goes, i'm going to Thailand this summer but this winter I want to go somewhere for 3 months and I was thinking about going to LA and training out there but if Brazil would help me more then LA, I might be interested in doing that instead. Good luck bro, i'll be watching for your updates!

Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwerm View Post
Been there done that. Be careful. Buy some Brazilian clothes first thing.

Never carry a towel to the beach. Criminals will know you're a gringo. Don't over-train like I did because Its super hot there and the humidity will kill you. Whatever happens avoid getting injured and tap quick. Some brazilians are sick of Gringoes and will crank the hell out of subs even after you tap. Choose your training partners carefully.

Get used to training in a sweaty, smelly gi because laundry is expensive and most people do not have dryers. It takes almost 24 hours to hang dry a gi sometimes so make sure you have 4 or 5 tops.

Have fun! I had the best time ever!

If you're in Rio and you want directions to a really cheap/safe/discrete whore house in the Uruguaiana PM me.
Thanks for the advice, I've actually read about your trip a little on this forum. So any advice that you have would be great. Thanks for the tip on the towel, but I honestly cant think that I'm going to spend a lot of time at the beach. I spent a year in Iraq and I really...really detest sand.

I'll probably over train, that' how I do it here so I cant think that will change.

I will have 4-5 gi's, I currently own 8 but will probably buy them there.

I'll keep the tapping quick in mind, I dont typically have an ego and I compete regularly. If it makes them feel better I'll just let them mop me up for the first few weeks and establish my position at the very bottom of the pecking order. I dont really need to wow anyone.

As far as the women...damn I'm in trouble. I dont drink, I dont party, but damnit I love women.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/moving-brazil-05-06-2009-a-969605/index28.html

Old 05-01-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
ShanghaiBJJ

Brown Belt

Where will you be training?

I think 3 to 4 times A DAY is impossible without juice...

Old 05-01-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
BigDD

White Belt

Not trying to be a jerk but why train more then 2 times daily. Sounds like injuries to me. I tend to overtrain also, notice when I cut back my training a little bit I feel much much better. My gains have also improved a lot because of it. Good luck bro, by the way what gym are you going to be training at? Gracie Barra, Gracie Humanita?

Old 05-01-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Gerbiljiujitsu

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShanghaiBJJ View Post
Where will you be training?

I think 3 to 4 times A DAY is impossible without juice...
I'm all natural...and if you took a look at me you might suggest that I juice LoL.

I'm going to train at Gordo JiuJitsu in Rio.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
ringwerm

Yellow Belt

"I think 3 to 4 times A DAY is impossible without juice..."

Ben,

Its possible but you really have to conserve your energy while rolling. You're basically forced to become really efficient at rolling. I would spar about 15 ten-minute matches per day and I'd spend most of the time defending and getting tapped.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:38 AM   #10
ShanghaiBJJ

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwerm View Post
"I think 3 to 4 times A DAY is impossible without juice..."

Ben,

Its possible but you really have to conserve your energy while rolling. You're basically forced to become really efficient at rolling. I would spar about 15 ten-minute matches per day and I'd spend most of the time defending and getting tapped.
Good to know, yeah pacing is def. in order for that...

Hey what are you doing online??? Aren't you in Abu Dhabi???