Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 11-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
Drew Foster

Silver Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCNASH View Post
Never have. Can you describe how you would go about doing that? I ask this because I cant really see it in my head.
go 8 minutes in

Rolled Up Episode 25 €“ OC Fair Challenge with Jeff Glover Budovideos Online

and also

Drew Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
redaxe

Silver Belt

I like to get the guy to push on my knee then I trap his wrist and step over it to triangle him.

Or I let him turn away to escape and take his back.

The step-over armbar is a little hard to get because it's so obvious.

redaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:51 PM   #13
BCNASH

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Foster View Post
This was a tremendous help thank you very much. It seems so obvious now.

Judo Yellow Belt

1-1 AMMA (1 sub)
BCNASH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #14
el duderino

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Never have. Can you describe how you would go about doing that? I ask this because I cant really see it in my head.
If you position your knee right and use your weight, you can apply a very unpleasant KOB. I like to place my knee right about at the sternum, that way he is pinned pretty well and hopefully will grimace in pain.

a) If his near arm comes up to block, I like to use my far hand (side by his legs) to get an undergrip on the tricep. From there, I throw my non-KOB leg over his head, pinch my legs together and go for an armbar, making sure I dig myself deep on his shoulder. As my instructor says, "for a good arm bar, you are arm barring his shoulder." Getting it deep makes for a quick tap.

b) If his near arm is tied up, and cannot make use of it, he might try to push the KOB with his far arm/hand. Since my KOB is high up on his chest (sternum), the far hand he pushes off with will be "chicken winged". This will make it easy to grab an underhook; letting go of his near arm, I go north/south while I underhook with my free arm. I then shift to side control, where I set up for an armbar like I described in scenario "a".

Hope this helps.

el duderino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 05:37 PM   #15
migsk8

White Belt

darces all day

Old 11-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #16
Mumrik

Silver Belt

Quote:

What Drew said

Mumrik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
TangoMF

Blue Belt

Knee on belly is a great no gi position.

However, it's one that you won't just chill in - you need to be mobile. The great thing about kob is that it forces a reaction from your opponent. In side and mount they might be content to ball up but you drive that knee into their diaphragm and they'll be forced to respond.

My first option is the darce if they attempt to underhook or push away. Like this:

Me doing a knee on belly darce

Secondly I like to spin around to the back. Anyone who's seen Ryan Hall's DVD knows what I'm talking about.

Other than that I would take a far-side armbar or just push to mount.

Lately though I've been playing around with the triangle from knee on belly like Drew posted above. Here's Glover's version (at 5:10):

Jeff Glover triangles

Old 11-24-2011, 07:46 PM   #18
kjg1672

Purple Belt

Quote:
And when everyone says Kimura, they mean Kimura and not Americana correct? As in, pulling them up on to their hip and hitting the Kimura on the top arm?
Right. This is what I've seen most often anway.

kjg1672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
Aussido

Green Belt

I've never viewed knee-on-belly as a good finishing position, even though I like it a lot.

I view it as a position where I can keep the pressure on the opponent. Not just physical pressure, but also mental pressure and the pressure of the match:

When you go knee-on-belly, gi or nogi, you are

a. staying active and attacking.
b. threatening to mount or going north-south.
c. being really really uncomfortable.
d. racking up easy points.
e. opening up a few submissions.

Even if you lose the position or fail to submit, that doesn't mean it wasn't worth doing. All you have to do is see how hard people fight to get the knee off the belly to know it's worth going to.

Aussido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #20
Shemhazai

Black Belt

This is my favorite triangle setup from KOB:

I go for this whenever my opponent stays flat, especially if he starts messing with my foot trying to push it to half guard or underhook my instep. The cool thing is that it connects really well with the brabo game. If the opponent defends as shown in the video, shrugging the leg by to avoid the triangle, instead of just settling for side control on the other side, you can trap the arm across (I always use the 'howdy' position as an intermediary) and attack with the brabo.

Shemhazai is offline   Reply With Quote