Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 06-16-2006, 03:25 AM   #1
Fist To FACE
Banned

vCash: 500
Judo will cripple you

After years of dedication to judo it gave me a black belt (first dan) and unparalleled skills at taking anyone down.

It also gave me:
1) Osteoartheritis on all my fingers from GI gripping
2) Pinched nerve in my neck
3) Bad lower back from not wanting to fall on my back and lose by Ippon.
4) Destroyed cartilage in my knees because of some throwing techniques like uchimata

That sport is probably the most tough on the joints ever, and to be competing in it will add 60 years to your body. My brother retired from judo at 29. TWENTY NINE! He walks like yoda because of hip surgery. The nature of the sport is geared to demolish you like no other if you want to stay serious in Judo.

Fist To FACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 05:58 AM   #2
Oktavius**
Banned

Seems like its an ugly truth with most sports, particularly combat sports

Oktavius** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #3
knoxpk

Black Belt

while all combat sports CAN hurt you I think there are some that are "safer" due to the rules of the game..............
BJJ for instance will have less high impact throws and less concern about Ippons so contorting in mid air is not a problem..however with all the joint locks and such I can see that it is a possibility to injure certain joints like the wrist, knees, ankles, elbows through prolonged hyperextension or stress.

Wrestling is fairly safe and while there are injuries it is more like a runner turning his ankle...an accident ...rather than the design of the maneuver causing the injury.
There are hard throws but how you land is not important in scoring so yes protecting your self has no drawback(Like an Ippon) the ground work uses leverage more so than pressure against a joint.

knoxpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:15 AM   #4
Tom Hishon
Banned

bjj or mma is better for you than judo man. Except for football and boxing, judo is hardcore like no other.

Tom Hishon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #5
paulchu

vCash:
I don't see Yoon Dong Sik or Hidehiko crying...

Old 06-16-2006, 07:30 AM   #6
masterfighter

Green Belt

That is why i don't compete in Judo. I decided when i was a kid that it was pointless to learn how to fall properly and not hurt yourself and then to compete and attempt not to fall the way you learnt it and hurt yourself instead. I concentrate on ne-waza instead.

masterfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 AM   #7
Cojofl
<:(((><|

High intensity judo training will decimate your body. An awful lot of high level guys have stop competing due to injury rather making the decision themselves.

There is a reason every starts to appreciate groundwork more once get to 30.

Ippons hurt you but its the kokas that injure you.

Last edited by Cojofl; 06-17-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Cojofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:19 AM   #8
azjudoboxer**
Banned

Just about any combat sport or "collision" sport which Judo, Wrestling and BJJ are listed as, will fuck you up over a lifetime. My Sensei has a really f'ed up knee.

azjudoboxer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:10 AM   #9
sha
Geekjitsu Black Belt

Gripping the gi alone is enough to give you arthritis ? damn... isn't there any way to avoid it ?

sha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
Spoonman7

Red Belt

Judo is the football of combat sports, I had blisters on my fingers all of the time from gripping the gi. I love the sport but it is rough, the only serious martial arts injury I have had is when my knee got popped from a leg lock, which happened to me this week.

Burritos are my life-BJ Penn

The Very essence of martial arts is the thirst for knowledge and the truth about ourselves - Frank Shamrock
Spoonman7 is offline   Reply With Quote