Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
The judo bull

White Belt

vCash: 500
Icon11 judo dvd

i am new to judo been practicing and competing for nearly a year now and i am thinking of buying a judo instructional dvd that covers all aspects of judo from nage waza to katame waza and shimewaza and would like help in picking the best one out there and would like to find out which ones have helped all you judokas out there the most? cheers

The judo bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Carrera26

Orange Belt

I don't know if you could find it, but Mike Swain's "Complete Judo" is excellent. Every throw from multiple angles with commentary and variations, and an hour just on counter throws and combinations.

Ne Waza of Kashiwazaki is fantastic for groundwork, as is the "Komlock" dvd by Koji Komuro. There are lots of other more specific DVDs like for throws with "Everything you should know about Seoi Nage" by Israel Hernandez or judoka specific like "Koga - A New Wind" or Inoue's boxed set that detail the special techniques and details from those big-name champions.

Carrera26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 PM   #3
Uchi Mata

Red Belt

Neil Adams' Modern Competitive Judo is excellent. I've heard the Quellmalz DVD is great too.

If you feel the need to sign your posts, you're not worth responding to.
Uchi Mata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #4
JudokaUK

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The judo bull View Post
i am new to judo been practicing and competing for nearly a year now and i am thinking of buying a judo instructional dvd that covers all aspects of judo from nage waza to katame waza and shimewaza and would like help in picking the best one out there and would like to find out which ones have helped all you judokas out there the most? cheers
I think that Judo dvds fall into two categories the 'encyclopaedias' and the 'look what I can dos'.

Neither of which I think are really that helpful for beginners.

The 'encyclopaedias' like the Kodokan Nagewaza and Katamewaza dvd series, Swain's newaza and tachiwaza. Just run through a whole gammit of techniques with some explanation, but not really anything a beginner can use apart from for reference.

The 'look what I can dos' like the Inoue boxset, Quellmalz's, Koga's and Jeon's are all really entertaining and interesting to get an insight into what they went through, their view on Judo and see all their fancy tricks. Again as a beginner there's not an awful lot you can get out of that apart from entertainment.

Swain's Basic Judo is useful as are Adams' The Grappling series are some of the rare exceptions that fall outside of the 'encyclopaedias' and the 'look what I can dos'.

They might be worth getting your hands on.

The best coaches DVD for helping people learn and understand how to coach Judo is Mike Liptrot's Beginning Judo.

Old 11-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #5
Thrawn33

vCash: 0
And if you ever want a DVD for pure entertainment: 101 Ippons. Sick ass throws and newaza.

Thrawn33 is online now   Reply With Quote