Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 03-04-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Jinzumkei
Rock El Columbian

vCash: 500
*Josh Barnett* on Judo vs Catch Wrestling

From the sherdog front page:

Josh Barnett interview

Pretty interesting take on Judo vs Catch Wrestling. I like that Josh Barnett is trying to revive the "Style" vs "Style" aspect of MMA.

Good interview.

Jinzumkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

I don't like it. At best it is just a marketing gimmick to get people interested in the fight. At worse, it represents an inferiority complex about his own training methods.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM   #3
BJJK1

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo View Post
I don't like it. At best it is just a marketing gimmick to get people interested in the fight. At worse, it represents an inferiority complex about his own training methods.
+1

besides, what does beating yoshida prove? josh is in his prime, and yoshida is pushing 40 and giving up 30lbs! Big nog beat him, so i guess that means bjj is > catch, cro cop beat him three times, so that means kickboxing is > catch?

if you still think one style rules all, you are 10 years behind!

Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #4
Blast D*
Banned

Catch isnt even a real grappling sport...... sure theres special catch wrestling rules but its a joke.

the best grappling system is brazilian jiu jitsu because it is way more popular, therefore it has much better competitors. it also has the most flexible rules: just grapple until someone submits , ultimately, even with time limits

Blast D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM   #5
Jinzumkei
Rock El Columbian

Quote:
Oh for sure it's a marketing gimmick, still interesting way to go about it. There's obviously no bad blood between him and Yosh, and I don't he has any real disdain for Judo. I like the concept though, kinda like rooting for a home team.

Jinzumkei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #6
Blast D*
Banned

Quote:
At worse, it represents an inferiority complex about his own training methods.
Yeah, and he's just calling his grappling training something else. He says he's never trained a day of BJJ but he sure as hell trains like a jiu jitsu guy. Instead he sticks to his "catch -only style" and is just an alright takedown guy and an alright submission guy.

Blast D* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast D View Post
Catch isnt even a real grappling sport...... sure theres special catch wrestling rules but its a joke.

the best grappling system is brazilian jiu jitsu because it is way more popular, therefore it has much better competitors. it also has the most flexible rules: just grapple until someone submits , ultimately, even with time limits
The best grappling system is the one that works for you. Whether that is catch, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, international wrestling, judo, or whatever.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:52 PM   #8
georgejjr

Black Belt

Quote:
I suspect it's a marketing gimmick - Barnett has to be pretty aware that at the top levels of MMA there's no style vs style anyway. Pure wrestlers, pure judoka, pure BJJ'ers, pure boxers, pure you-name-its lose badly.

Possibly he's doing it to market the fight with Yoshida, who was a world class athlete and one tough SOB, but is pretty old to be fighting MMA in any case, and probably 40 pounds overweight. Without some extra hook there's no reason for anyone to be interested in this mismatch, so I suspect they'll look for whatever angles they can find.

georgejjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #9
Masakatsu Funaki #1
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blast D View Post

You're full of shit.

Masakatsu Funaki #1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:05 PM   #10
ooitzoo

Purple Belt

that is one thing that bothers me is that bjj does not recognize catch as a legitimate grappling form.