Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:24 AM   #1
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

vCash: 500
Icon8 Japanese Jujutsu vs. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

So I was fighting a brown belt in Japanese jujutsu tonight. I'm just a lowly one-stripe white belt in BJJ, yet I schoolled him! The brown belt submitted to me three times under ten minutes each time starting from standing. Complete pwnage.

Now I am twenty pounds lighter and the dude was a beast, so this shouldn't be! Furthermore, he didn't even know how to do an armbar from guard. (Although, he never even got guard against me.) Why wasn't I destroyed? I don't think he was going easy.

Is Japensese Jujutsu that bad compared with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?

Old 01-19-2006, 02:15 AM   #2
Commissar

Gold Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Is Japensese Jujutsu that bad compared with Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu?
Did you fight under BJJ rules? Or was he allowed using the moves he learnt in Japanese Jujitsu?

If he was allowed all his wristlocks, pressure point attacks, and the like, you'd probably get crushed.

He trains under his rules, you train under yours. When he fights under yours, it's new to him.

Old 01-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #3
kimurense

Brown Belt

presure points?!?!? I hope you are joking...

E quando a gente manda ninguém manda na gente"
kimurense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:03 AM   #4
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

It was submission grappling. We really didn't formally agree to any rules: just whoever tapped out lost. Pressure points and wristlocks were allowed. In fact, I used a wrist lock on him once to set up a different submission!

Also, wrist locks and pressure points are allowed in every BJJ competition I participated in too IIRC. They are just not that effective, IMHO.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Resident A-hole

Orange Belt

From what I've seen, JJJ focuses a lot on more on standing throws than groundwork, which explains why he owned you standing.

But to answer your question, Yes- some japanese JJ students are that bad on the ground due to their focus being on other elements. They do not train in grappling very much, and almost never spar full contact submissions. A BJJ student with a few months experience would likely have more ground experience.

Resident A-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:57 AM   #6
IMP
OBLIVION RECORDER

Pressure point is pinching your finger into his neck or behind his ear and I doubt you fight with that shit.
He is probably one of those guys who train for 20 years come once a month and graduate once every 4 years.

And as Japanese Ju Jutsu is not that widely spread standards of teaching seem to be lower.

IMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #7
scorcho

Brown Belt

Japanese JJ frequently focuses much more on defending strikes for self-defense style situations, and often goes pretty easy on the groud fighting. Just a different training method.

There is also a lot of variance in the skills and skill types of TJJ practicioners, because different teachers emphasize different things.

scorcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
Jimmy Cerra
Amateur Fighter

Well... Resident A-hole, I completely dominated him standing and on the ground. You misread my post.

IMP: He didn't try for many pressure points like that, even though I am not opposed to them. In fact I know of a few from independent study and athletic training in high school (including that pressure point). Although I don't use them very much since they are easy to counter and not that effective in real life. At least in my experience, the only ones that are useful are wrist locks and inner-thigh pressure points, and I only use them to set up other submissions.

He did attempt a few throws I countered with my own takedowns. The brownie was in great shape and a few years younger than me (24). He told me that trained JJJ for 4 years. I was impressed before fighting him. I admit I am not the greatest BJJer by far, which is why I am puzzled that it was so lopsided. It was no contest I crushed him.

So I'm unimpressed with JJJ right now. What rules would make it more fair? I'll ask him next time. Although I am loath to bring up rules - it was just a spontaneous submission wrestling match after TKD class. I.E. A 'You want to roll?' deal. I just want to have fun!

Scorcho, that makes sense. But IMHO JJJ should be more complete. For example, he knew what an armbar was, but he didn't know an armbar from guard. Nor did he know how to escape side control (I had to show him). He could be great at BJJ if he tried it out, so I hope I converted him to the dark side!

Last edited by Jimmy Cerra; 01-19-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Jimmy Cerra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 10:58 AM   #9
Resident A-hole

Orange Belt

Oops, sorry I did misread that part. If he sucks both standing & on the ground after 4yrs of training, then I guess he just plain sucks. It sounds like he trains at a recreational club. They probably just learn self defense moves & practice them against non-resisting partners. He is likely one of those who could bend your arm behind your back if you "come at me like this...", but has no clue how to really fight. There is a JJJ school in the same building as my BJJ school, & I see them training when I walk thru. Far from hardcore.

You could train like that for a decade & still get owned in a BJJ class. In any art, if you don't train hardcore & spar regularly, you won't be able to apply anything. This was probably a wake-up call for the guy. It's better he learns his training is bogus from a sparring session than in a real confrontation.

I know a few judo guys (green & brown belts) from a pretty recreational club who have around 3yrs experience & I was able to beat them handily after a few months of training judo/BJJ. The club awards belts eventually to those who have time in but still aren't very good. It all depends on the individual & the club.

Resident A-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 11:30 AM   #10
Joey Guidice
Professional Fighter

I'm a blue belt under the serra bros and i got to roll with a TJJ or JJJ black belt i'm not sure but it was the "small circle" jiu jitsu. It wasn't a challenge at all, i had his back choked him, armbars, triangles you name it. Wristlocks and pressure points were allowed. From my experience, JJJ is not that effective

Sub Grappling: 18-4-0
MMA 1-0
07/11/06 - nick/matt serra PURPLE belt
Joey Guidice is offline   Reply With Quote