Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
Einarr

Black Belt

vCash: 500
That's pathetic. He complains, acting all pissed off, then changes the tune clutching his head. Good job they're getting tough on this, hopefully we'll never see the nancying about, overreacting, and faking that is so prevalent in soccer. Jared Weiner. More like Jared Whiner, amirite?

Einarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #32
SuperSuperRambo
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supereem View Post
I think this rule is stupid and dangerous.

Example:

I am caught in an obvious knee-reap position. The ref does not seem to notice. I do not want to tap/point out the problem out of fear of a DQ and consequently get my knee ripped to dick.
Aside from the infamous Galvao match where he clowns on that guy, I can't imagine that happening. In my experience, refs are very quick to call knee reaps. Even at local-level IBJJF tournaments, I have had teammates DQ'ed for accidental knee reaps. I don't think it's the kind of thing you would need to point out to the ref, and if you did I think you could probably do it with gestures, i.e. pointing and eye contact.

On top of that, the chances of your knee being hurt from a reap with nothing else, are in my opinion very low.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:22 AM   #33
Balto

Silver Belt

The thread title here is messed up. This is ideal reffing.

The ref got it right on both the letter and the spirit of the rules. That's about the best you can expect in any tournament.

Balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 09:42 AM   #34
Bmurph

Yellow Belt

Weiner got my instructor DQ'd for a knee reap during a sweep at the NY Open a few years ago. He whined/cried out and got the W by DQ, turned and smiled to his buddies as he walked to get his hand raised then bragged about it to his friends later.

This is not surprising.

Bmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 AM   #35
Galen Spielman

Yellow Belt

Hahahahahahaha wow, there is no way that anyone could even call that a kick. Complaining from that, in this sport is a complete disgrace to the art/sport/whatever the hell you want it to be. Same as when Christiano Ronaldo takes a dive in soccer, except this isn't soccer and he definitely isn't Christiano Ronaldo. (I don't have any idea what that comparison is supposed to show).

Seriously, if you want to win that way, then prepare for some serious, serious bashing

Galen Spielman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:37 AM   #36
Hillary

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supereem View Post
I think this rule is stupid and dangerous.

Example:

I am caught in an obvious knee-reap position. The ref does not seem to notice. I do not want to tap/point out the problem out of fear of a DQ and consequently get my knee ripped to dick.

Now people will criticize me saying that I should stop being a bitch (or whatever), but the same people will support the new banning of the DLR knee reap because it is "too dangerous". If you truly want your competitors to come back to the mat then you should allow the competitor to talk to the ref when reasonable.

P.S Some of you may say it is the coaches job to point this stuff out, but not all competitors have coaches available and sometimes they cannot see what exactly is happening.
As a ref, competitor, coach, and student, I can assure you: this will not happen in modern IBJJF tournaments. Now, I'm not perfect. None of us are. I didn't start out BJJ as a black belt, same goes for Reffing. However, obvious knee reaps are immediately called. A reap enough to get your leg "ripped to dick" would be obvious enough my dad could notice; the rule limits it's placement far short of what causes actual damage. Small reaps are sometimes missed due to angle/crazy transitions where we're trying to watch 100 different things at once, but these are not reaps that will injure anyone. I am pro reaping to begin with, no one at my gym ever gets hurt because if you know it you know how to defend. So yeah, you're complaining about a hypothetical situation that has never happened to you.

This sport took a step toward professionalism with this rule. People in Judo don't talk to the ref, and things go just fine. So stop with the silly attitude.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #37
Hillary

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunshi189 View Post
That one makes me laugh a little.
Pushing, punching, kicking, that bs with the Atos sword and Alliance gun, all gone. No cussing at the crowd, opponent, or ref (either language), no disrespectful behavior. We can even give penalties to idiots who run around and hug half the crowd before theyget their hands raised. I'm stoked.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #38
neomage2021

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knock Out Ned View Post
I'm not attacking you, so don't take this the wrong way, but why would you argue with the ref during a match. It's disrespectful.

It's very distracting/frustrating when you are reffing and someone is telling you how to do your job from the sideline (lots of times when they aren't even clear on the rules). It's already stressful enough trying to make sure to do a good job.

Also, competitor was being petty and shouldn't have complained so much.
I think that guy was being a cry baby complaining, but wtf with refs in ibjjf? In EVERY other sport including combat sports part of the refs job is to listen to the competitors and coaches/cornermen.

When the ref in any other combat sport is missing something the cornerman/coach is free to let the ref know and so is the the competitor. Whether the ref acts on it is up to them, but still disqualifying someone for complaining to the ref is pathetic.

If the corner or competitor is HARASSING the ref then it's justified to take a point or DQ.

That's the end of my complaint on yet another pussifacation of the great art of BJJ

neomage2021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
Hillary

Brown Belt

Lol, fuckin' Americans. We bitch that the rules aren't fair, so they change them to make them more so, and we bitch cause we want them back. Lulz.

Neomage, how active of a competitor are you that you have such an experienced opinion on competition and how they should be run?

Hillary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:11 AM   #40
bagelgod

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by neomage2021 View Post
That's the end of my complaint on yet another pussifacation of the great art of BJJ
The pussification is complaining to the ref. Be a man, keep fighting, and the ref will take care of the rules. You should be in there to beat the hell out of the other guy, not have a discussion about the latest Song of Ice and Fire book with the Ref.

bagelgod is offline   Reply With Quote