Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #231
eclipse

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Kilian View Post
My main concern is just strengthening the lower back muscles to absorb more of the motion than my spine.
once capable, my neurosurgeon strongly advised squatting and deadlifting for this (HOORAH)

but you must be free of nerve pain related symptoms first, if you have nerve pain, if any exercise causes nerve pain, youre damaging and inflaming the nerve

and go easy on the rehab, sounds to me like if youre still having strong nerve pain symptoms you should ease off the rehab and twisting and weightlifting shit, because strengthening your back and core is not going to relieve any pressure or symptom of nerve impingement (because you already had an extremely strong back and core before you got injured, as did i) you need that nerve to heal before you begin any sort of hard or vigorous strengthening regime again

you still dont sound in good shape, best of luck to you nick

DISCLAIMER: The above statement is merely my opinion and may not represent the truth or proper scientific fact.

Last edited by eclipse; 03-23-2010 at 09:56 AM.
eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:43 AM   #232
tenniswhiz

Gold Belt

I agree with the last couple posters who said REST REST REST.

Don't exercise, don't lift weights, don't run, don't train, don't do anything that aggravates the injury. Anything you do could add considerably to your recovery time and/or prevent your recovery in the first place.

tenniswhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:25 AM   #233
Nick Kilian
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
once capable, my neurosurgeon strongly advised squatting and deadlifting for this (HOORAH)
Ya once the pain is gone completely I will start with these. I haven't been doing any lifting of weights that aggravates my nerve yet. I've been doing benching and upper back lifting so far and its good.

My physical therapist says its going good and I am doing everything necessary to heal the pain. Just hate to know its months away from hard training again, I really want to fight.

Old 03-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #234
eclipse

Blue Belt

Quote:
Ya once the pain is gone completely I will start with these. I haven't been doing any lifting of weights that aggravates my nerve yet. I've been doing benching and upper back lifting so far and its good.

My physical therapist says its going good and I am doing everything necessary to heal the pain. Just hate to know its months away from hard training again, I really want to fight.
this injury transformed my entire life instantly and theres many others like us, we're not alone but we suffer more than your average joe because we are athletes who are grounded

DISCLAIMER: The above statement is merely my opinion and may not represent the truth or proper scientific fact.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:14 AM   #235
Nick Kilian
Amateur Fighter

Just can't wait to get my new robot legs and adamantium spine.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 AM   #236
eclipse

Blue Belt

Quote:
Just can't wait to get my new robot legs and adamantium spine.
agreed. highly disappointed with the lack of futuristic technology in 2010

Last edited by eclipse; 03-24-2010 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:33 AM   #237
Flounder

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipse View Post
agreed. highly disappointed with 2010
I wouldn't be disappointed in what I lost. I would be ecstatic at what I got back.

Congrats on the results of your surgery.

Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #238
eclipse

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
I wouldn't be disappointed in what I lost. I would be ecstatic at what I got back.

Congrats on the results of your surgery.
cheers!

i meant disappointed in the results of futuristic technology in 2010, i feel really let down, wanker humanity

Old 03-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #239
jimglynn

Yellow Belt

Eclipse- how long before you can start BJJ?

jimglynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #240
eclipse

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimglynn View Post
Eclipse- how long before you can start BJJ?
minimum 6 weeks post op

but ill be giving it longer than that

ill start light weight lifting 6 weeks post op, maybe a little bit sooner

but ill be back doing technique jiu jitsu easilly 8 weeks post op, but no rolling thats for sure...

alot will depend on what my neurosurgeons physiotherapist says in the first 6 weeks, and after 6 weeks my neurosurgeon said he wants me to work with his exercise physiologist, so only time will tell at this stage.

im currently 10 days post op and feel great, all nerve pain is gone, 90% of incision pain is gone

only have a mild ache in my glute occasionally, which is very normal considering what my nerve has been through for the past 4-5 months and should pass very soon, and gets better every day.

but no sharp nerve pain, can do straight leg raises pain free, im completely cured of sciatica ruling out any immediate injury in my near future

going to see neurosurgeons physio for my very first post op appointment tomorrow tho, on day 11, and she will do extensive testing to see my nerve function etc

looks really promising, i cant wait to get in there and hear the good news ;)

Last edited by eclipse; 03-28-2010 at 11:35 AM.