Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums (http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/index.php)
-   Grappling Technique (http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   flexibility in jiu jitsu? (http://forums.sherdog.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276222)

dutchmasterj3 07-22-2005 08:36 AM

flexibility in jiu jitsu?

Guys, I'm not flexible at all. I can only touch the top of my ankles, not even the ground.

Plus I can't spread my legs open wide (not that I'm looking to spread them open for anyone). Just for closing people in to my guard.

Anyone know good stretches I can do to improve flexibliity specifically for my ground game?

I have certainly gotten a lot more flexible since taking jiu jitsu, but I still feel I need a lot more improvement.

jiujitsujayhawk 07-22-2005 11:49 AM

You're in a lot of trouble. You must start slow. You sound like a big guy, probably stocky. I would sit with your legs in a V and gently rock toward each toe like you are trying to touch your chin to your toe. Do this about 15 times for each leg and then hold it as far as you can for one leg for 10 seconds, then the other leg. After you've down this, stay in this position. Keep one leg planted and stretch your groin by moving the other leg farther away and widening your V. Do it again.
Another good one is to kneel on one knee and keep one up. Push the knee that is down as far back as possible while leaning forward on the up knee.
Let me know how it goes.

beatnick 07-22-2005 04:44 PM

Buy wider pants and that should do the trick for you.

ClubberLange 07-22-2005 06:14 PM

google "pnf" stretching and "contract-relax" stretching. I'm too crusty at the moment to explain it, but these, IMO, are easlily the fastest way to improve flexibility.

guardpasser 07-22-2005 06:16 PM

he said "stocky"

my fleability sucks and it never gets better, sorry no good advice from me.
but the post above is a good one

Evil Eye Gouger 07-22-2005 06:26 PM

Also, do a search on "stretching", "PNF" and "flexibility" in the Standup and Conditioning forum. There have been many many threads over there with more info.

If you are not cheap, buy "Relax into Stretch" by Pavel Tsatsouline or "Stretching Scientifically" by Tom Kurz. Both of them also have good videos. These books will teach you everything you need to know about stretching much better than anybody can explain here.

SH5 07-22-2005 07:34 PM

yoga !!!

"Dangerous" Dan 07-22-2005 07:43 PM

Lol, you've gotta be kidding me. Pavel Tsatsouline?! That guy is the biggest joke and scam artist I've ever seen in my life. Trust me when I say if it's not Sambo or Judo, don't take anything out of Russia seriously.

dan1210 07-22-2005 08:52 PM

i agree yoga is good

mappgh 07-22-2005 10:13 PM

I got some great pdf. ebooks on stretching if you want them I'll email them to you.... hit me up...mappgh24@hushmail.com

There are many different levels of stretching....static, active and dynamic you want to progress to dynamic and ultimately the more flexible you are the better you will be.