Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
bulldogfire

White Belt
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Fighting Likely to End on the Ground... Really???

Ok, so I have heard soooo much about fights ending up on the ground... 75, 90% of fights. Seems like since most average joes and janes don't know anything about fighting other than flailing arms, bouncing around, grabbing hair (for the ladies usually), etc. that it more ends up on the ground due to them not knowing proper base, footwork, knowing how to defend a takedown attempt, etc. than anything.

If you had an untrained average person against a trained person who did have the proper footwork, stance, base, takedown defense, etc. seems like that statistic would probably go way down, especially in a one on one fight. Therefore, it seems like a truly trained person could dictate whether the fight went to the ground or not and not so much of the ground being "inevitable."

Thoughts?

bulldogfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
ChainFlow

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,017
vCash: 500
As long as by "truly trained person" you mean wrestler/judoka/sambist, then yeah, obviously.

If you mean hapkido or some nonsense GTFO.

ChainFlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Nozza

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 1,534
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogfire View Post

If you had an untrained average person against a trained person who did have the proper footwork, stance, base, takedown defense, etc. seems like that statistic would probably go way down, especially in a one on one fight. Therefore, it seems like a truly trained person could dictate whether the fight went to the ground or not and not so much of the ground being "inevitable."
Obviously yes.

But as you say most fights are not between trained fighters so I'm not really sure what the point is?

Nozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
HomerPlata

Purple Belt
 
HomerPlata's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogfire View Post
Ok, so I have heard soooo much about fights ending up on the ground... 75, 90% of fights. Seems like since most average joes and janes don't know anything about fighting other than flailing arms, bouncing around, grabbing hair (for the ladies usually), etc. that it more ends up on the ground due to them not knowing proper base, footwork, knowing how to defend a takedown attempt, etc. than anything.

If you had an untrained average person against a trained person who did have the proper footwork, stance, base, takedown defense, etc. seems like that statistic would probably go way down, especially in a one on one fight. Therefore, it seems like a truly trained person could dictate whether the fight went to the ground or not and not so much of the ground being "inevitable."

Thoughts?
I think the point being made is that there is no referee type person to split the fighters cleanly in most street altercations, so when the inevitable clinch happens, neither guy wants to give it up - separating from a clinch without risking getting clipped requires mutual trust.

So, in general, once clinching/wrestling/groundfighting is initiated, that's where it will stay. Of course, you always have those 5-10 seconds at the start, where clean striking is king, but if you miss your chance to finish, you'll likely be locked in a clinch/wrestling battle until it's over.

Unless you're in a Kimbo home video, of course, where the cameraman will call "break"

__________________
I see rolling as my chance to discover little islands of safety in a sea of absolute danger.
HomerPlata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
bulldogfire

White Belt
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza View Post
But as you say most fights are not between trained fighters so I'm not really sure what the point is?
Usually a major selling point of BJJ is that most fights end up on the ground, so defend yourself with some BJJ! It seems like if a person gets trained in some art, fighting system, etc. to the point that the person becomes proficient in the basics I listed above that BJJ would be more of an "if" it happens you go to the ground instead of "when" you go to the ground.

Oh and not meaning this to turn into people practicing BJJ for love of the art vs self-defense vs sport.

bulldogfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Steeltwo

Green Belt
 
Steeltwo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: WisCOWsin
Posts: 1,374
vCash: 500
Go to Youtube and type in

Street fights

Then you'll see what they mean.

The fights I have seen, I'd say 99% end up on the ground. But that might be because wrestling is a bigger deal in the midwest than on the Coasts.

__________________
as I told my friend before I triangled him


if you touch that frickin beer again i'm going to tap you out with my loins.

Her name is Misty Dawn.
;)
Steeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Chinaboxer

Blue Belt
 
Chinaboxer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 640
vCash: 500
i like to say "90% of fights end up on the ground, but 100% start on the feet."

__________________
Chuck Norris's tears can cure cancer, too bad he never cries.
Chinaboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
jclaudevandamme

Orange Belt
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainFlow View Post
As long as by "truly trained person" you mean wrestler/judoka/sambist, then yeah, obviously.

If you mean hapkido or some nonsense GTFO.
What if it is ninjutsu? Ninjutsu won UFC once

__________________
I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
jclaudevandamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Kozbot

Purple Belt
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2,115
vCash: 500
If there isn't a KO within the first 10 seconds people will generally trip or fall on top on one another.

Kozbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
bulldogfire

White Belt
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozbot View Post
If there isn't a KO within the first 10 seconds people will generally trip or fall on top on one another.
Yes this seems to happen a bit watching street fight videos. Still most of those folks don't look like they have any training either to not trip, over commit their weight, feet aren't planted right, etc.

bulldogfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Latest Threads



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Sherdog.com Forum Rules Clear Cookies Social Groups Lost Password
Contact Us - Sherdog Forums - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Top - AdChoices

Skin made by Alex. © iStyles.uni.cc Powered by vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
forums.sherdog.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.
monitoring_string = "fd5733925866a04e50edd70f38dfaa35"
monitoring_string = "603ac9fff68f23709f2a42bf5e29272b"