Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM   #1
bulldogfire

White Belt

vCash: 500
Fighting Likely to End on the Ground... Really???

Ok, so I have heard soooo much about fights ending up on the ground... 75, 90% of fights. Seems like since most average joes and janes don't know anything about fighting other than flailing arms, bouncing around, grabbing hair (for the ladies usually), etc. that it more ends up on the ground due to them not knowing proper base, footwork, knowing how to defend a takedown attempt, etc. than anything.

If you had an untrained average person against a trained person who did have the proper footwork, stance, base, takedown defense, etc. seems like that statistic would probably go way down, especially in a one on one fight. Therefore, it seems like a truly trained person could dictate whether the fight went to the ground or not and not so much of the ground being "inevitable."

Thoughts?

bulldogfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
ChainFlow

Purple Belt

As long as by "truly trained person" you mean wrestler/judoka/sambist, then yeah, obviously.

If you mean hapkido or some nonsense GTFO.

ChainFlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Nozza

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogfire View Post

If you had an untrained average person against a trained person who did have the proper footwork, stance, base, takedown defense, etc. seems like that statistic would probably go way down, especially in a one on one fight. Therefore, it seems like a truly trained person could dictate whether the fight went to the ground or not and not so much of the ground being "inevitable."
Obviously yes.

But as you say most fights are not between trained fighters so I'm not really sure what the point is?

Nozza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
HomerPlata

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogfire View Post
Ok, so I have heard soooo much about fights ending up on the ground... 75, 90% of fights. Seems like since most average joes and janes don't know anything about fighting other than flailing arms, bouncing around, grabbing hair (for the ladies usually), etc. that it more ends up on the ground due to them not knowing proper base, footwork, knowing how to defend a takedown attempt, etc. than anything.

Thoughts?
I think the point being made is that there is no referee type person to split the fighters cleanly in most street altercations, so when the inevitable clinch happens, neither guy wants to give it up - separating from a clinch without risking getting clipped requires mutual trust.

So, in general, once clinching/wrestling/groundfighting is initiated, that's where it will stay. Of course, you always have those 5-10 seconds at the start, where clean striking is king, but if you miss your chance to finish, you'll likely be locked in a clinch/wrestling battle until it's over.

Unless you're in a Kimbo home video, of course, where the cameraman will call "break"

Old 09-05-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
bulldogfire

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozza View Post
But as you say most fights are not between trained fighters so I'm not really sure what the point is?
Usually a major selling point of BJJ is that most fights end up on the ground, so defend yourself with some BJJ! It seems like if a person gets trained in some art, fighting system, etc. to the point that the person becomes proficient in the basics I listed above that BJJ would be more of an "if" it happens you go to the ground instead of "when" you go to the ground.

Oh and not meaning this to turn into people practicing BJJ for love of the art vs self-defense vs sport.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #6
Steeltwo

Green Belt

Go to Youtube and type in

Street fights

Then you'll see what they mean.

The fights I have seen, I'd say 99% end up on the ground. But that might be because wrestling is a bigger deal in the midwest than on the Coasts.

if you touch that frickin beer again i'm going to tap you out with my loins.

Her name is Misty Dawn.
;)
Steeltwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #7
Chinaboxer

Blue Belt

i like to say "90% of fights end up on the ground, but 100% start on the feet."

Old 09-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #8
jclaudevandamme

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChainFlow View Post
As long as by "truly trained person" you mean wrestler/judoka/sambist, then yeah, obviously.

If you mean hapkido or some nonsense GTFO.
What if it is ninjutsu? Ninjutsu won UFC once

I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind. Some come from ahead and some from behind. But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready, you see. Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
jclaudevandamme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #9
Kozbot

Purple Belt

If there isn't a KO within the first 10 seconds people will generally trip or fall on top on one another.

Kozbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 01:51 PM   #10
bulldogfire

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kozbot View Post
If there isn't a KO within the first 10 seconds people will generally trip or fall on top on one another.
Yes this seems to happen a bit watching street fight videos. Still most of those folks don't look like they have any training either to not trip, over commit their weight, feet aren't planted right, etc.