Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:29 PM   #1
Zankou
Antifaschistischer Schutzwall

vCash: 500
DVD Review -- Carlos Machado Secrets Of The Hook Flip

I hate it when people review DVDs without ever spending time working on the material first. So I've spent some time working this DVD into my game. And here's my review of this dvd.

Budovideos.com - Unstoppable: Secrets of the Hook Flip DVD with Carlos Machado

This DVD is epic. The hook sweep is the best sweep in BJJ, far and away my favorite. If you aren't aware of its glory, be aware. Much like certain throws in judo, if you get your grips, the sweep is a done deal. The problem, however, is that the hook sweep is something you can spend years improving. Like a good uchimata. This DVD basically consists of an incredibly knowledgeable hook sweep expert giving black belts advice on how to perfect the hook sweep.

And just the hook sweep. There are almost no entries, and no real variations. No subs. Just perfect execution of the hook sweep, using different grips and subtle variations on positioning.

The DVD consists of a seminar that Carlos Machado is giving to several black belts. It is well-edited into different chapters, and the video quality is good. As background, it is assumed you are already knowledgeable about how to correctly execute a pretty good hook sweep. So it isn't that useful to beginners. But to anybody who loves the hook sweep, it's invaluable.

I can only wish there were other instructionals like this, devoted to perfecting a single move. I guess Ryan Hall's "Triangle" is somewhat similar. But even that has a lot of variations and setups. What's beautiful about this setup is that it forgoes such frippery, and focuses on perfecting a simple, basic move to an incredible level.

Finally, it's cheap. Awesome.

-- Qur'an 4:23
Zankou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 PM   #2
Calibur
Jiu Jitsu Snob

I will forever preach the simplified greatness of anything put out by Carlos Machado.

His infinite jiu jitsu set is the only set I know that I think could really school experienced practitioners.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:41 PM   #3
MUFC
Banned

I'm so bad at this technique and everything butterfly guard based (other than hand fighting).

Edit: That's not fully true. I can do the sweep just fine to one side, but not at all the other leg.

MUFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #4
DVD review guy

Blue Belt

Zankou - Thanks for posting the review.

Is it worth the buy for a No-Gi player?

DVD review guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:31 PM   #5
LocalNmass

Blue Belt

I'm terrible at this technique, but always attempt it, i guess my timing just isn't right.

here's a trailer
YouTube - "Unstoppable" Secrets of the Hook Flip

"History is written by the victors" Winston Churchill

Wash your Gi/gear after every training session!
LocalNmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
Zankou

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVD review guy View Post
Zankou - Thanks for posting the review.

Is it worth the buy for a No-Gi player?
It is not great for nogi. The hook sweep is great for nogi, but most of the details here are gi-specific. Yes, there are some things a pure nogi player could benefit from, but not enough that I would advocate the purchase.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Zankou

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalNmass View Post
I'm terrible at this technique, but always attempt it, i guess my timing just isn't right.

here's a trailer
YouTube - "Unstoppable" Secrets of the Hook Flip
The technique requires no timing. You should be able to look your opponent in the eyes, announce "I am going to hook sweep you," and then still pull it off every time.

It requires proper grips and movement, not timing.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #8
Aesopian

Brown Belt

Pretty sure Carlos is going over hook sweep at the seminar I'm going to

Carlos Machado Seminar – Shreveport, LA – April 29 | BJJ News | Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu | Aesopian

and if he is not I will probably just do a private lesson with him on them.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:41 AM   #9
Spoonman7

Red Belt

Carlos' instructionals are amazingly detailed. Im sure this will be as great as his past sets, can't wait to watch it.

Burritos are my life-BJ Penn

The Very essence of martial arts is the thirst for knowledge and the truth about ourselves - Frank Shamrock
Spoonman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
oyaji poi
oyaji belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zankou View Post
frippery

That's the second time today I've read this word, before this morning I had never heard it before.

Thank you for the review, can you recommend any sources on hook sweeps for no-gi?