Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 01-09-2006, 08:59 PM   #1
bate18

White Belt

vCash: 500
Do wrestlers wear a cup?

it doesnt seem like there would be much groin contact in wrestling, im certainly sure it exists though. can anyone clear this up?

bate18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 10:30 PM   #2
raulz88

White Belt

I never did, and I don't believe anyone on my high school team did. Never really felt the need for one. If I had been kneed in the groin I may have felt different, but it never happened.

raulz88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 11:34 PM   #3
Mestizo

Orange Belt

I always did. People go for the high crotch a lot around here for some reason. I also see people doing something similar to a half nelson but on the legs/hips rather than the arm/head. Without a cup, thats a little too close for comfort in my opinion.

Inspirit
Nogi Industries
Asics
Mestizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:11 AM   #4
Enemy of Evil
Banned

Location: I SHALL FEAR NO EVIL FOR I WALK WITH THE SWORD OF TRUTH.
Do wrestlers want children one day?

Enemy of Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:54 AM   #5
bacon

I never wore a cup in HS wrestling OR football. I've never seen or heard of a wrestler wearing a cup and I coach the sport.
On a side note, I wore a cup in little league and got one of my boys pinched on the outside of it. Fuck cups.

bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Diligent

Blue Belt

I don't wear a cup in wrestling and I haven't had any 'mis-haps' ... but ever since after my first day of BJJ, I ALWAYS wear a cup in BJJ. My first day of BJJ ... we practiced leg-locks (my teacher is a Sambo champ, too), and the friggin' set-up for one of the leg-locks was practically stepping your foot right near the other guys balls on the inside of the leg, so I almost had my twins crushed a few times ... it was quite scary. I kept asking everybody if I should wear a cup and everyone was saying that they didn't, but I was like forget that, I'm wearing a cup! I even made a thread about it on here a lil' while ago, haha. I'm proud to say my 'guys' have not been harmed.

Old 01-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
IMP
OBLIVION RECORDER

In JuJutsu we do some trips and/or crotch pickups too and if you are unlucky you fall onto a knee... once felt the blow on my cup and was so happy to wear it... without i woulda been dead.

IMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:08 PM   #8
bacon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diligent
I don't wear a cup in wrestling and I haven't had any 'mis-haps' ... but ever since after my first day of BJJ, I ALWAYS wear a cup in BJJ. My first day of BJJ ... we practiced leg-locks (my teacher is a Sambo champ, too), and the friggin' set-up for one of the leg-locks was practically stepping your foot right near the other guys balls on the inside of the leg, so I almost had my twins crushed a few times ... it was quite scary. I kept asking everybody if I should wear a cup and everyone was saying that they didn't, but I was like forget that, I'm wearing a cup! I even made a thread about it on here a lil' while ago, haha. I'm proud to say my 'guys' have not been harmed.
I don't think wearing a cup or not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for measuring manliness. If you want to wear one, do it. Not wearing one isn't a declaration of "balls of steel."

There are moves in wrestling (especially freestyle) that could raise your voice a few octaves, but I don't think I could wear cup unless I had a pre-existing injury.

bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:52 PM   #9
Diligent

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon
I don't think wearing a cup or not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for measuring manliness. If you want to wear one, do it. Not wearing one isn't a declaration of "balls of steel."

There are moves in wrestling (especially freestyle) that could raise your voice a few octaves, but I don't think I could wear cup unless I had a pre-existing injury.
Ummmmm ... ok ...? Are you insinuating that I think wearing/not wearing a cup should be a yardstick for 'measuring manliness'??? ... or that I think that not wearing one is a declaration of "balls of steel"???

Old 01-10-2006, 12:57 PM   #10
Gaylon Cooper
Professional Fighter

In all my years of wrestling or coaching wrestling I have never worn a cup. Just a good pair of breifs to take the boys out of play.