Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 02-26-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
Dooky
Banned

vCash: 500
Difference between Sambo and Systema?

I have been wondering this for a long time,What the difference between Systema and Sambo,they look just about the same and theyre both used in the Russian Military. Is Sambo a lighter version on Systema? Is Systema a Military form of Sambo?? Please explain.

Dooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 11:41 AM   #2
HIEI

Yellow Belt

The Difference Is I Have No Clue What The Hell Systema Is

Old 02-26-2006, 11:55 AM   #3
Firecop71

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooky
I have been wondering this for a long time,What the difference between Systema and Sambo,they look just about the same and theyre both used in the Russian Military. Is Sambo a lighter version on Systema? Is Systema a Military form of Sambo?? Please explain.
I am not sure where you have seen something that shows Sambo and Systema looking alike. Not that you havent but they are night and day apart in origin.
Sambo is based off JiuJitsu/Judo with a healthy addition of native Russian wrestling styles. It includes leglocks in its sporting application though as compared to Judo which does not. It also use a different kind of Gi-top than does Judo and competitiors also where shorts and wrestling shoes. There is both a military version of Sambo and the sporting application of the art.
Systema is for all intents and purposes Aikido. Its effectiveness as a fighting system has been debated viciously on several internet forums for years. It's proponents swear by its effectiveness while its detractors swear by its complete lack of realism.
I have my own opinions on Systema but in all fairness, I havent trained in it. so my opinion dont count for much.
Hope this helps.

Firecop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #4
czar2

Green Belt

Sambo >>>>>>>>>> systema. How can you even compare! I trained sambo and watched some systema videos and can honestly say that systema is crap.

czar2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #5
LiverpoolJim

Brown Belt

1 works 1 dont. Ill leave the guess work up to you

Old 02-26-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
Foolkiller
You have meddled with the primal forces of nature!

One is as useful as a ra****'s ass, the other isn't and is used by armed forces and MMA champions.

Mods Worship The Devil!
Foolkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 12:17 PM   #7
Firecop71

White Belt

I feel the same way but didnt want to start any flame wars. This has been argued a bazillion times on other forums and it usually gets out of hand, thats why I reseved my opinion. Not cause I think Systema>sambo

Firecop71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:02 PM   #8
~Power~

Blue Belt

Agreed; Sambo over Systema.

~Power~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 01:35 PM   #9
zenshin

Green Belt

Systema has a real bad reputation on lot of forums lol!!! I never did it, but did see videos, doesn't look realistic, then again I never trained it so who knows it is probably the best thing out there. If you wanna try it do it, dont let peoles opinions discourage you!!!

zenshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
scotty1444

Orange Belt

i seen a program about it called go warriror and it looked crapped.

scotty1444 is offline   Reply With Quote