Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:13 PM   #1
gocubs1815

Black Belt

vCash: 500
D'arce vs. Anaconda vs. Barbo vs. "Ninja" choke

Trying to clear up the difference between all these.

So my understanding is that a D'arce choke and an Anaconda choke are the same thing EXCEPT in a D'arce the choking arm threads under your opponents first before going across the neck, and the Anaconda is the opposite, neck first then arm.

A barbo choke is just a different name for a D'arce?
And a Ninja choke is like a no arm D'arce?

Whats the difference?

Old 05-20-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Drew Foster

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocubs1815 View Post
Trying to clear up the difference between all these.

So my understanding is that a D'arce choke and an Anaconda choke are the same thing EXCEPT in a D'arce the choking arm threads under your opponents first before going across the neck, and the Anaconda is the opposite, neck first then arm.

A barbo choke is just a different name for a D'arce?
And a Ninja choke is like a no arm D'arce?

Whats the difference?
Your understanding of the darce and anaconda are correct.

The brabo and the darce are the same. There is a gi choke called the brabo, so often people will say darce for the no-gi version, and brabo for the gi version, but for the no-gi version you can use darce or brabo. Either is fine.

I have no idea what the hell a ninja choke is. I know that technically there's no such thing as a no arm darce/brabo. That would defeat the entire purpose. That's like saying a no arm arm triangle.

If there's no arm in the choke it's probably a guillotine variation. Do you have a video/picture of the ninja choke?

Drew Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
Drew Foster

Silver Belt

This what I got on youtube for Ninja choke: I can SEE why someone would describe it as a "no-arm Darce/Brabo choke" but to me it's just a guillotine variation that involves a Mata Leao/Rear Naked Choke grip. I mean call it whatever you want though. If it helps you remember it, there's no problem. A friend of mine used to call the N/S Kimura the Alabama Crab Dangle.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:24 PM   #4
Lug's Spear

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Foster View Post
Your understanding of the darce and anaconda are correct.

The brabo and the darce are the same. There is a gi choke called the brabo, so often people will say darce for the no-gi version, and brabo for the gi version, but for the no-gi version you can use darce or brabo. Either is fine.

I have no idea what the hell a ninja choke is. I know that technically there's no such thing as a no arm darce/brabo. That would defeat the entire purpose. That's like saying a no arm arm triangle.

If there's no arm in the choke it's probably a guillotine variation. Do you have a video/picture of the ninja choke?
Budovideos.com - Mastering the Ninja Choke DVD by Shuichiro Katsumura

Edit: I am somewhat uninformed on the no-arm darce or whatever you want to call it, I have seen some use of it in the Fading to Black DVD where it's called the "coma choke." I am a smaller guy and I'm just not sure how useful that choke would be from closed guard for me. I do think it's a little bit unorthodox and sneakier than the guillotine so I might play around with it when I work on some marce drilling tonight.

Last edited by Lug's Spear; 05-20-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Lug's Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #5
barnowl

Green Belt

That is a neat little choke from the guard.

barnowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
Drew Foster

Silver Belt

Cool! The pictures I think do a good job illustrating that it's a guillotine variation. I've never really tried locking these types of RNC grip guillotines from the front and side like this. Looks cool.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #7
Senor Jose

Red Belt

ive wondered the same for some time but too lazy to start the thread. Thanks for the info

yaw
Senor Jose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
SH5

Orange Belt

To me all of them are just arm triangles from different directions ...
Save ninja

one in one out

SH5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:52 PM   #9
Wutang

Yellow Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH5 View Post
To me all of them are just arm triangles from different directions ...
Save ninja

one in one out
agreed. +1

Old 05-20-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
MickCollins
O Soto Seanzito

D'arce/Brabo or Anaconda.. A Ninja choke is just the same arm positioning without an arm in. Some guys call it a power guillotine. When I learned it, it was just another version of the guillotine. I was taught to transition into it when the arm-in guillotine is getting defensed by the guy pulling back and tight with the trapped arm.

www.carlsongraciechicago.com
www.seanksmith.com
MickCollins is offline   Reply With Quote