Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
beeran1

Green Belt

vCash: 500
Cauliflower Head

About two weeks ago, I took a hard knee to the forehead during guard passing drills, giving me a golf-ball-sized hematoma on my forehead above my right eye.

It bruised a little, but the swelling went down fairly quickly. It has not completely gone away, however, and I still have a small, hard bump above the ridge of my eyebrow.

I talked to my doc about it a few days ago and he said to just let it run its course and it would go away eventually. As it has not changed in about a week, I'm not so sure. I'm thinking the bump could be dried blood, similar to cauliflower ear. Anyone else ever have anything similar and did it go away on its own?

beeran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #2
MMAfan9000

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeran1 View Post
About two weeks ago, I took a hard knee to the forehead during guard passing drills, giving me a golf-ball-sized hematoma on my forehead above my right eye.

It bruised a little, but the swelling went down fairly quickly. It has not completely gone away, however, and I still have a small, hard bump above the ridge of my eyebrow.

I talked to my doc about it a few days ago and he said to just let it run its course and it would go away eventually. As it has not changed in about a week, I'm not so sure. I'm thinking the bump could be dried blood, similar to cauliflower ear. Anyone else ever have anything similar and did it go away on its own?
I got punched his my chin sometime ago, still got two nuckle bumps. It feels weird thought it would go away bye now, if it dont cause ya pain ignore it, if it does cause you pain ignore it haha

MMAfan9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Auspex

Purple Belt

lots of times where swelling occurs, proteins and other "junk" get left behind when the blood leaves the area. If it's any sort of protein residue you might want to try to massage the area to push it away.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
rgr

White Belt

Yes,
I have one on each side of my head from jiu jitsu and wrestling. Both are right above the temples at the hairline. They are not noticeable, and no longer hurt, but have been there for about 3-4 years. I have mentioned to my doctor, and he did not say much, but said it will not be a health issue.

rgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #5
Belatucadros

Brown Belt

was it just swelling or did it bleed? I'm guessing there was no skull fracture?

could be calcified. I have a bump on my forehead that will never go away unless I let them cut it open and essentially sand it down

Belatucadros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:33 PM   #6
SuperSuperRambo
Senior Moderator

Exact same thing happened to me, but it looked bad for weeks. Hard to explain at work. The ball did go away, I wouldn't worry.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:26 PM   #7
mrpopenfresh

Red Belt

Does this thing have a specific term?

Old 09-20-2010, 09:39 PM   #8
Mat Nemesis**
Banned

get a needle and drain it.

Mat Nemesis** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:46 PM   #9
Number1Wrestler**
Banned

Back when I did karate before BJJ, I took a really hard elbow to the head from a blackbelt. The swelling went down after a week but there was remnants of the hit for months afterwards.

Number1Wrestler** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:48 AM   #10
HomerPlata

Purple Belt

The thread title made me chuckle, it sounded like the kind of insult that used to be devastating on the playground haha. Hope it clears up for ya, Cauliflower Head!