Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Seio Nage
Banned

vCash: 500
body goes into shock under sudden and extreme pain

The other day, my knee left knee popped/ got dislocated/ or it slid out and went back to its original place...

i kinda felt i was losing consciousness as i sat down and was experiencing great pain.

I remembered my vision was slowly fading into black. My friends told me that i was turning white and pale at that moment.

I just kept my composure, and breathed slowly as i regained myself. This had happened to me already 3 times whenever my knee popped.

The last one happened as i was going down the stairs. As I shifted my whole body weight to my left knee, it popped.

I have been playing judo since 1999. And I have a torn LCL which i have been nursing since 2003.

They say that the body goes into shock upon experiencing great pain.

Anybody with a similar experience?

(sparring/non-sparring related incidences)

Seio Nage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #2
JARRELLBIGTIME
Minotauro

Damn dawg you fucked yourself up pretty bad didnt you,shit i'll pray for you

/▌
/ \
JARRELLBIGTIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
InvertedBJJ

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARRELLBIGTIME View Post
Damn dawg you fucked yourself up pretty bad didnt you,shit i'll pray for you
Yeah man shit dawg holy fuck what a godly person you hahaha.

This Iraqi got shot in the the throat by and he went into shock before he died.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
blazininmanch

Yellow Belt

I have a torn acl and my knee pops all the time and never had that happen. But I got a penicillin shot once in the ass and almost fainted. It felt like someone shot me up with peanut butter thats how thick it was. Gotta love the military half the people there passed out from it.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
Mr. Switch
TALLY HO!

Probably a vasovagal (pre)syncope. (Otherwise known as a simple faint)
-Your heart rate increases massively due to the pain
-This causes your Blood Pressure to rise really quickly
-As a result your pressure receptors in your carotid arteries and aorta go apeshit and tell your brain to slow down your heart rate.
-Your heart rate drops and so does your BP.
-Your BP drops too much you don't get blood (I.E. Oxygen and Glucose) to your brain- you start to black out.

(There are some other things with blood vessels dilating etc... but we'll gloss over that).

In short it's probably pain/surprise at pain. Loads of other shit can make you pass out but this seems most likely. Hope you'll see your doctor if it starts happening at other times, dude.

BJJ > JUST the guard.

Last edited by Mr. Switch; 09-19-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Mr. Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 10:16 PM   #6
ShanghaiBJJ

Brown Belt

When I exploded the bones in my wrist (breaking doesn't really describe it- doc said it looked like the bones had been run over by a truck), I didn't feel anything but numbness, no shock/ faint feeling but zero pain really. I actually tried to pull the bones back together, but to no avail, as it was multiple fractures. Didn't even need painkillers waiting for x-rays and surgery... kinda surreal.

Before you ask, I broke my wrist playing basketball... nailed a guy's layup to the backboard on a fastbreak with both hands... Highlight worthy for sure (I am only 6 foot tall) Problem was I jumped from too far away, so my momentum carried me forward and I half-flipped, after the block. So midway in the air, with my back parallel to the ground... and then learned that one hand/wrist is not enough to break a fall.

Old 09-20-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
Seio Nage
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Switch View Post
Probably a vasovagal (pre)syncope. (Otherwise known as a simple faint)
-Your heart rate increases massively due to the pain
-This causes your Blood Pressure to rise really quickly
-As a result your pressure receptors in your carotid arteries and aorta go apeshit and tell your brain to slow down your heart rate.
-Your heart rate drops and so does your BP.
-Your BP drops too much you don't get blood (I.E. Oxygen and Glucose) to your brain- you start to black out.

(There are some other things with blood vessels dilating etc... but we'll gloss over that).

In short it's probably pain/surprise at pain. Loads of other shit can make you pass out but this seems most likely. Hope you'll see your doctor if it starts happening at other times, dude.

THANKS A LOT GUYS!

I guess this is probably it. Just a simple faint from the sudden extreme pain.

Quite reassuring. Coz when it happened, my friends were saying like its related to too much drinking, high blood pressure etc.

Anyway, my left knee really sucks.

Seio Nage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #8
damit2hell

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazininmanch View Post
I have a torn acl and my knee pops all the time and never had that happen. But I got a penicillin shot once in the ass and almost fainted. It felt like someone shot me up with peanut butter thats how thick it was. Gotta love the military half the people there passed out from it.
most people arn't forth coming about getting thick fluids shot into their ass

Old 09-20-2009, 12:40 PM   #9
Mr. Switch
TALLY HO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by damit2hell View Post
most people arn't forth coming about getting thick fluids shot into their ass
I rarely actually laugh out loud... but I did here...

BJJ > JUST the guard.
Mr. Switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 PM   #10
ChriSmith

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazininmanch View Post
umm not sure that is true about the peanut butter shot, got this shot in bootcamp 6 1/2 years ago and the only guys who were hurting was the guys who were crying before the needle even touched them.... but afterwards when moving around and doing situps and sitting, thats when the pain kicks in.