Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 06-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #31
DonkeyKong

Green Belt

vCash: 500
this is -genius-, this is fucking genius, BJJ needs more of this

Old 06-15-2011, 12:45 PM   #32
5050buttflopper**
Banned

@ Poppa

Thanks for the clarification, I would assume you just need to play with the position for awhile to get the feeling of controlling the posture while allowing your hand to set up the choke. Pinching the elbow in would definitely help. I might even try playing with it once i got a higher guard so i could use my legs with even more leverage on the person's back putting greater pressure on their posture.

A year or so ago I use to wear a rubber bracelet (i was supporting cure for lymphoma) like the "live strong" bracelets and i even thought of using that as a grip to do a "street ezekiel"

your idea is way more clever though!

5050buttflopper** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #33
curb1850

Green Belt

Awesome idea! Good video.

curb1850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #34
Throwing Dummy

Green Belt

Nice Stuff Colby!

I've done a similar choke in the past, bunch up the shirt like that, but I'm a little wary of passing my other arm through the neck hole of the shirt. Instead, I pass the arm just behind the grip of the shirt and under my own arm only. Seems to work pretty well.

thanks again, nice technique.

Old 06-15-2011, 03:57 PM   #35
POPPA ROTZEE

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5050buttflopper View Post
@ Poppa

Thanks for the clarification, I would assume you just need to play with the position for awhile to get the feeling of controlling the posture while allowing your hand to set up the choke. Pinching the elbow in would definitely help. I might even try playing with it once i got a higher guard so i could use my legs with even more leverage on the person's back putting greater pressure on their posture.

A year or so ago I use to wear a rubber bracelet (i was supporting cure for lymphoma) like the "live strong" bracelets and i even thought of using that as a grip to do a "street ezekiel"

your idea is way more clever though!
Man....they have this already lol. Wolverine bought me one for christmas.

DefenseBand

Check out
www.DraculinoBjjTraining.com
and
BJJ.ORG l Expert Online Training
POPPA ROTZEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 04:40 PM   #36
5050buttflopper**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by POPPA ROTZEE View Post
Man....they have this already lol. Wolverine bought me one for christmas.

DefenseBand
lol, He stole my idea!!

on another note, i really think your BJJ Street series is a great idea. I'd actually like to request a topic for a future article...

I think the biggest threat against the guard from an untrained opponent is the headbutt. Perhaps you guys could do a vid or write up that details neutralizing headbutts. Thanks!

5050buttflopper** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 05:20 PM   #37
POPPA ROTZEE

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5050buttflopper View Post
lol, He stole my idea!!

on another note, i really think your BJJ Street series is a great idea. I'd actually like to request a topic for a future article...

I think the biggest threat against the guard from an untrained opponent is the headbutt. Perhaps you guys could do a vid or write up that details neutralizing headbutts. Thanks!
Thanks...In this technique you are protected...it does a fairy good job of adressing it. This was all shot loose for instructional purposes.

I control the head with right arm and keep my head firmly pressed against his. There is no way for him to gain momentum to head butt you.

When u apply the choke the combined muscular strength of two arms is strong enough to stop a head butt until the structural stength of two arms being straight takes over.

So with my technique u should be safe. The key with dealing with head butts is just like when dealing with punches...make sure u are too close or too far.

We will discuss it on future videos, thanks

Check out
and

Last edited by POPPA ROTZEE; 06-15-2011 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 08:29 PM   #38
akdms

Blue Belt

Cool. Really innovative. Seems like bunching the shirt up would work well for cross chokes as well.

I think I'd still use the classic no-gi ezekiel though -- I don't think I'd want to have my arm tangled up. I assume your version is an air choke? Or are you able to hit the carotid with it?

akdms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:35 PM   #39
POPPA ROTZEE

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by akdms View Post
Cool. Really innovative. Seems like bunching the shirt up would work well for cross chokes as well.

I think I'd still use the classic no-gi ezekiel though -- I don't think I'd want to have my arm tangled up. I assume your version is an air choke? Or are you able to hit the carotid with it?
Its not as "tangled" as you think. Try it out and you will see what I mean. It starts off as an airchoke/carotid choke that is really really tight as you are slidding it in position. Its so tight that most people tap from that before you can get it into position to attack both carotids. But yeah, if you fully extend your arms...he is going to sleep.

Yes a version of a cross collar choke is another one that I came up with and it works in combination with another one technique...they are interchangeable wich is pretty cool.

Check out
and