Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
crd8

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
BJJ in Stillwater, OK

I am about to move to Stillwater, OK in the fall to attend Oklahoma State University. I was wondering if anyone knew if there are any good BJJ places in the surrounding area and if so where they are located.

Thanks!

Old 08-13-2010, 10:32 PM   #2
TalkShowOnMute
dancingonthecorpsesashes

Not alot in the general area...

Elite Combat Systems -* Self Defense, MMA, Kickboxing, Jiu Jitsu is all I see...the instructors tab is the only one not active however...strange. I do see that they are Leonardo Xavier affiliates...LX is legit.

YOu might want to find out who is teaching the bjj class there however.

TalkShowOnMute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 04:06 AM   #3
JiuJitsu_Greg

Blue Belt

Lx is legit. He taught classes at Gracie Humaita. He was a solid competitor. In saying that. The school in Stillwater is ran by a blue belt that joined the lx association I believe around 6 months ago and that is about when the guy got his blue belt. If you just want somewhere to train this place could be a good place but do not expect to learn good solid Bjj from the school in Stillwater.

"For the elephant to go ahead and step on the ant, no big deal, but for the ant to take down the elephant and arm lock the elephant, or choke the elephant out, now the ant is showing some technique. -=ROYCE GRACIE=-

"Those who procrastinate finish last" -=BRANDON BOYD=-
JiuJitsu_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 10:27 AM   #4
TalkShowOnMute
dancingonthecorpsesashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuJitsu_Greg View Post
Lx is legit. He taught classes at Gracie Humaita. He was a solid competitor. In saying that. The school in Stillwater is ran by a blue belt that joined the lx association I believe around 6 months ago and that is about when the guy got his blue belt. If you just want somewhere to train this place could be a good place but do not expect to learn good solid Bjj from the school in Stillwater.
Good insights. I know Ty Gay, LX Brown Belt, is like an hour away near OKC. I wonder if he comes by? Or it is always just a blue?

Either way, I would say JiuJitsu_Greg is spot on. It might be a good place to acquire basics while you are in school. Osu is full of great wrestlers, start asking around once you get in school you might find some guys to train with.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
crd8

Orange Belt

Ok thanks, I appriciate the imput!

Old 08-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
JiuJitsu_Greg

Blue Belt

Ty gay is located in Edmond Oklahoma. He is a 4 stripe brown belt. He has received all of his rank from Leonardo Xavier but is no longer a part of the lx association. I believe he is currently trying to start a Gracie academy association. I know that another lx brown belt Blake Hayes (Tulsa) is supposed to look out and help out the Stillwater school but in what capacity I don't know. Good luck at osu!

"For the elephant to go ahead and step on the ant, no big deal, but for the ant to take down the elephant and arm lock the elephant, or choke the elephant out, now the ant is showing some technique. -=ROYCE GRACIE=-

"Those who procrastinate finish last" -=BRANDON BOYD=-
JiuJitsu_Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 03:11 PM   #7
crd8

Orange Belt

Quote:
Ty gay is located in Edmond Oklahoma. He is a 4 stripe brown belt. He has received all of his rank from Leonardo Xavier but is no longer a part of the lx association. I believe he is currently trying to start a Gracie academy association. I know that another lx brown belt Blake Hayes (Tulsa) is supposed to look out and help out the Stillwater school but in what capacity I don't know. Good luck at osu!
Thanks! And I have heard good things about the school you are referring to in Edmond and actually have a friend who is planning on starting training there. However I don't think I'm going to be able to make that far of a drive all the time. I'll probably just check out the school in Stillwater and go from there.

Old 08-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Keyser

White Belt

Not sure if you can make it to Tulsa but there are a number of good BJJ schools in town. Can't go wrong with Triton, Nogs, or LX. All of these schools have classes taught by Brown Belts.

Keyser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #9
TalkShowOnMute
dancingonthecorpsesashes

Quote:
Wow. Ty has been with him for a good while so that is a bit of a surprise.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #10
ZenMojo

White Belt

There is an active BJJ Group/Club at OSU. Drop Hunter Harris an e-mail.

hunter.harris@okstate.edu

Hunter received his Blue Belt from Luiz Palhares a couple of years ago is an all around good guy.

Peace,
Zen Mojo

ZenMojo is offline   Reply With Quote