Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Nicos111
Banned

vCash: 500
BJJ in South Side of Chicago

I'm a student at the University of Chicago, who has been training BJJ in NYC for the last few months 4-5 days a week. However in another month I'm heading back to the South Side. Does anyone know of any semi-reputable BJJ places on the South Side of Chicago (or within 20-30 min of the South Side)?
Unfortunately there is no BJJ club and I'm afraid most everything that I've learned is going to deteriorate before I can return to my dojo in NYC.

Anyone have any advice? I imagine my situation is a fairly common one.

Nicos111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 11:12 PM   #2
Randy Couture**
Banned

New Breed

Gracie Barra

Randy Couture** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
BJJ in Chicago
Livin' la vida bomba

oh sweet goodness...

the search button is about two inches above the right side of your post... but i'll link you the other threads anyways.

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/be...o-area-571003/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/il...aining-798569/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/sc...i-town-790955/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/bj...hicago-729903/

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/ri...-greek-744841/

read through those 5 and you'll be set

Use coupon code BRD231 for 10% off all supplement & protein orders at TrueProtein.com!!
BJJ in Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
Ronin Rug
Banned

Wow, DragonFire. How thoughtful of you.

I was gonna say my cousin trains at Gracie Barra and is also a white belt. I was gonna suggest you tell him i sent you and he could armbar you real quick.

Ronin Rug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
ILGrappler

Purple Belt

Depends on if you have a car.

New Breed and Barra, like someone suggested would be like 20 miles & 15 miles respectively. Valko would probably be like 10 miles from you, you could probably take the #6 lakeshore bus up near there, might have to transfer to get exactly there. I guess you could take the red line, too, but I think the red line stop near UChicago is in a shady area- your call.

Another thought would be to take the Metra Electric Line, the end of the line is right across from Millenium Park, there is a station at 59th, 56th, and one right by Regent's Towers, I believe- you might even run into Obama if you go to that station.

Basically, Valko is closest to you, and the others would be inconvenient if you're not driving. I hear UChicago has a decent judo club, so that might be a good bet for you.

The moral of this post is that Hyde Park sucks and you should move to the north side.

ILGrappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
Steve3730

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicos111 View Post
I'm a student at the University of Chicago, who has been training BJJ in NYC for the last few months 4-5 days a week. However in another month I'm heading back to the South Side. Does anyone know of any semi-reputable BJJ places on the South Side of Chicago (or within 20-30 min of the South Side)?
Unfortunately there is no BJJ club and I'm afraid most everything that I've learned is going to deteriorate before I can return to my dojo in NYC.

Anyone have any advice? I imagine my situation is a fairly common one.

try chicagoboxingclub.com

I go here it is a small place but we have a pretty good class, couple blue belts and white belts. trainer is a black belt under carlson senior. And if you live by UIC this place is a 5 minute bike ride.

Steve3730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #7
valkobjj

Yellow Belt

Valko Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Academy is just outside the loop. Check out our site as we are expanding next week, doubling our classes offered and bringing in Andre 'Negao' Terencio as a our new black belt instructor along side with Jay Valko, who is also a black belt.

valkobjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 11:26 PM   #8
LibertyHawk84

White Belt

+1 for Valko. I have looked into many places, and they are pretty solid. They are also the least expensive place I have found. I will be joining Valko when I move to Chicago in a few days hopefully.

POW is in greektown and should be pretty close to you, but they are fairly expensive and require a one year contract. The instructor there is pretty good. Andre Arlovski trains at POW.

LibertyHawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote