Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
MMABullrider

White Belt

vCash: 500
BJJ Gyms in Kansas City, KS

I'm considering a new job in the Kansas City, KS metro area. I roll BJJ 4-5days a week, usually twice a day, plus kickboxing/Muay Thai 4 classes a week.

Are there any good BJJ/MMA gyms in the KC area? Preferably on the Kansas side?

MMABullrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
Steelviper

Green Belt

I used to say there were none, but I stand/stood corrected by BSFT:
Kansas City Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

It's just north of the river, so it wouldn't be TOO much of a drive, assuming you miss the rush hour crap around the bridges.

Talk about dying with your boots on...
Steelviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
BSFT

Brown Belt

i don't know much about KCK area stuff, but there are a couple out in Overland Park that are alright, there is a couple of AJJ places. as far as the BJJ, come check out KCBJJ/Adrenaline MMA. it's in north kansas city, not too far at all from downtown KCK.

Don't go into the woods if you are afraid of the wolves.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.
BSFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
GSparky

Green Belt

Blue Springs JJ #(816)224-2822 Instructor Wayne Marble is a 4th Degree Black Belt in Shingitai Jujitsu & a blue belt in BJJ under Renato Tavares. Also another one of their instructors is Chris Handy & he is a 1st degree Black Belt in Shingitai Jujitsu & a Purple Belt in BJJ under Renato Tavares.

There are multiple American JJ schools around the Kansas City, MO & KS area. Some of their instructors include Steven A. Crawford who is the head instructor @ a AJJ in Overland Park, KS is a 7th Degree Black Belt in Shorinji Ryu JJ. Also Brad Jones is the head instructor at the other AJJ school in Overland Park, KS & he is a 5th Degree Black Belt in AJJ under Steve Crawford but from what it says on his site, training with him is by invitation only.

A little tidbit, my friend actually trains at AJJ in Overland Park, KS with Steve Crawford. I've met him & some of the fighters there & they all seem to be very cool & respectful. They have a decent size mat for rolling & 2 little cages.
American Jujitsu / Home

And then there is Kansas City BJJ #(816)914-6527. They probably have the best instruction in the Kansas City area in my opinion. Their head instructor is Jason Bircher & he is a Black Belt in BJJ under Renato Tavares. I can't speak from my own experience but only their credentials, they are unmatched in the Kansas City Metro Area. They apparently have a warehouse size training facility with a huge mat, MMA cage & lots of equipment.
Kansas City Brazilian Jiu Jitsu

I hope that helps, good luck with your search.

Good Luck with your search & I hope that helps.

Old 04-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #5
LinkFC
Promoter

Jason Bircher is very very good. I have rolled with him a couple of times and train with some guys that know him very well and they all agree he is top notch. Go there if it is an option.

www.facebook.com/laselvamma
LinkFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Jackons**
Banned

KCBJJ is really your only option. It's sad that KC is such a big area and has such a lack of quality options.

Jackons** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
SuperOx

Blue Belt

Does anyone know anything about Ground Control in Grandview? I grew up in Lee's Summit (after moving there from Emporia and Salina as a kid).

John Rallo's primary school is ironically here in Baltimore where I live now. He is a Renzo Gracie black belt.

Man, I miss KC, coming back for some diet-cheating Jack Stacks and Gates' BBQ in June

Old 04-08-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
Vince Vitatoe
Amateur Fighter

I'm from KC, but I now live in Vegas. If you want to the best competition and instruction then go to KCBJJ--it is well worth it. Jason is a very good instructor, explains detail well, and has a nasty guillotine.

If he had my hair he would be the complete package.

Vince Vitatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:18 PM   #9
NateTx4112

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSparky View Post
[ They probably have the best instruction in the Kansas City area in my opinion.
lol.

NateTx4112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:47 PM   #10
BSFT

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Vitatoe View Post
Jason is a very good instructor, explains detail well, and has a nasty guillotine.
lol, when i roll with Charlie, my goal is NOT to get guillotined!

Don't go into the woods if you are afraid of the wolves.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list.
BSFT is offline   Reply With Quote