Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
tk99

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
BJJ and flexibility

For those of you who have trained consistently, did you find that BJJ increased your flexibility on it's own, or did you have to supplement it with stretching and strength training?

My experience has been that my flexibility increases most quickly by strengthening the muscles around the joint. Rolling obviously helps a lot, but hip exercises like hydrants seem to be the most beneficial.

Chime in.

tk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #2
Russo93

Yellow Belt

BJJ definitely increases flexibility on it's own, but not at a real super fast rate. I still stretch immediately after class to get where I want to be quicker.

Have to be flexible to have a good guard is the way I see it.

Grand Rapids Brazilian Jiu jitsu/Carlson Gracie Team
Russo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
tk99

Blue Belt

Honestly, I find that flexibility is the key to nearly every athletic movement. You see some of these old guys who have a lot of knowledge, but get beat by better athletes. It starts in the hips. Stand up game included.

Old 06-22-2010, 07:28 PM   #4
bnosam

Green Belt

I have the dvd "Yoga for Martial Arts" by Stephan Kesting. I've been through it a few times and I have noticed my legs and body are more flexible than before.

bnosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:31 PM   #5
tk99

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnosam View Post
I have the dvd "Yoga for Martial Arts" by Stephan Kesting. I've been through it a few times and I have noticed my legs and body are more flexible than before.
I've never done Yoga. Seems like a lot of position "holding," which is static, rather than dynamic stretching, like what you inadvertently do during conditioning.

And it's so time consuming. I'd rather roll. You find it worth the time?

Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
An end for

Purple Belt

I would like to be more flexible, but it's hard to get the habit of stretching, especially because I don't know what to do to increase flexibility. I just do the standard stretching and warmup at class. It did surprise me when I found out I was able to sit like Buddha. It amazes me that, being fat and having a buzzcut, no one ever called me that yet

An end for is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:12 PM   #7
tk99

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by An end for View Post
I would like to be more flexible, but it's hard to get the habit of stretching, especially because I don't know what to do to increase flexibility. I just do the standard stretching and warmup at class. It did surprise me when I found out I was able to sit like Buddha. It amazes me that, being fat and having a buzzcut, no one ever called me that yet
Ha! That's hilarious.

On the real, stretching for an hour before bed is my favorite time of the day. It's easy to work in your schedule, and you can kinda fall asleep or relax with your legs up against a wall (like a split position but above your head so the gravity does the work for you). I've seen HUGE gains in flexibility in about 6 weeks.

As far as the program for stretching goes, have any good martial artist explain theirs to you. They know what works. Essentially, you have to focus on your hips (called the Iliotibilal band, or IT Band). Good luck. It makes all the difference in the world.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Apaulo

White Belt

I noticed a little bit when i started but then i just started stretching anytime I could. Like when ur watching tv just jump onto the floor and stretch out will help alot.

Apaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:23 PM   #9
cinturão**
Banned

I think extreme flexibility is genetic although you can get limber with Yoga or Pilates.

cinturão** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #10
gocubs1815

Black Belt

I had to change my stretchin routine to accomidate the fact that I was doing BJJ insted of traditional athletics. So that meant more hip flexor stretches, groin, basically the entire region from my thigh to my naval has to be stretched for each session. That is what got me so flexible.