Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 12-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #1
leavewithalimb
Banned

vCash: 500
Arm triangle always cranks.

Someone started a thread about doing anaconda and darce chokes without cranking the neck.
Didn't wana hijack that thread with this but I have the same question with arm triangle, even when people do it to me it's the pressure the forearm puts on the back of my neck that often gets me to tap. I get it tight but must have a positional problem I guess.

Help cause I get this pos a bit and would be good to be able to finish properly.

leavewithalimb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
Jagcorps_esq

Red Belt

I've never been choked by an arm triangle. I'm certain it's possible, but for me the tap is always related to the pressure on my shoulder and not any sort of blood flow stoppage.

Last edited by Jagcorps_esq; 12-18-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Jagcorps_esq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:20 PM   #3
muttonwar

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagcorps_esq View Post
I've never been choked by an arm triangle. I'm certainly it's possible, but for me the tap is already related to the pressure on my shoulder and not any sort of blood flow stoppage.
Arm triangle is the only submission I have ever put someone to sleep with. It happened shortly after I watched this in a live roll at the gym.

Rolled Up Episode 30: Evolution through Diversification with Erik Paulson Budovideos Online

Skip to the 44:15 mark.

muttonwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #4
Jagcorps_esq

Red Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttonwar View Post
Arm triangle is the only submission I have ever put someone to sleep with. It happened shortly after I watched this in a live roll at the gym.

Rolled Up Episode 30: Evolution through Diversification with Erik Paulson Budovideos Online

Skip to the 46:17 mark.
As I said, I know it chokes people. I've choked people with it.

I guess the point I was trying to make here is that it's a very torquing type submission, which can end up being a neck crank, shoulder crank or an actual choke.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
muttonwar

White Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagcorps_esq View Post
As I said, I know it chokes people. I've choked people with it.

I guess the point I was trying to make here is that it's a very torquing type submission, which can end up being a neck crank, shoulder crank or an actual choke.
Gotcha, I have actually never been choked by it either. I think the difference for me "getting" this choke was switching from a figure four grip to a gabble grip. Most people do a figure four and I don't think that works as well unless you have huge arms.

muttonwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:33 PM   #6
TSO

Brown Belt

I use the arm triangle all the time and have put someone to sleep with it twice. That being said I sat in one that hurt like hell for a few minutes on friday and just have a soar neck from it. I noticed that most people just try to squeeze and dont cut an angle before trying to apply the choke.

TSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Drew Foster

Silver Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by leavewithalimb View Post
Someone started a thread about doing anaconda and darce chokes without cranking the neck.
Didn't wana hijack that thread with this but I have the same question with arm triangle, even when people do it to me it's the pressure the forearm puts on the back of my neck that often gets me to tap. I get it tight but must have a positional problem I guess.

Help cause I get this pos a bit and would be good to be able to finish properly.
Try this. It's almost like the north/south choke sprawl but opposite.

Get your gable grip. Keep your head on the mat. Get hip to hip. No need to walk in a circle or clock out on this one. Just stay hip to hip, and sprawl forward of that makes sense, while touching your choking elbow to the floor. That's the key is getting your own choking arm's elbow to the floor. If you can do that, and get your weight forward, on top of their neck, you should be able to get a tap while barely squeezing.

Drew Foster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
argy-bargy

Blue Belt

The key to getting this choke (for me at least) is to be quite loose with your grips when you first get to side control with the choke locked up. From here (with you 'loose' triangle) you can control you opponent, and also begin to move (or jiggle) your choking arm about to get it in a bit deeper. Once you have done this, all you need to do is squeeze you bicep a bit, and if you positioned your arm properly the choke comes on very quickly.

I think the most important part of this choke is NOT to rush once you move from mount to side control. Most of the time it seems people get it from mount then squeeze like buggery and then move to side whilst still sqeezing the whole time, this will get the tap but only because of the neck crank/pressure.

If you focus on the arm triangle not as a submission at first and just use it to control your opponent whilst moving to a finishing position (side control) and then modifying the position of your choking arm before applying the squeeze, you will get much better results

Old 12-18-2011, 09:05 PM   #9
BJJ_Rage

Silver Belt

I find girbils way much better, I love it.... if you do it right, it really feels like someone is trying to take your head off...

BJJ_Rage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #10
Hellboy31

Brown Belt

The key (for me) has always been to make sure (I'm assuming your doing it from side control, not guard) that my forehead and BOTH elbows are touching the ground. After that I just block his hip with my knee and slide my other knee outwards which sinks my hips to the ground... If I do all these things correctly, I always get the tap and it's def a choke not a crank.

Hellboy31 is offline   Reply With Quote