Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 10-20-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
Stively

vCash:
Icon8 Arm Drag Defense?

so i am a white belt and today i was rollin with a purple belt of 3 years. i was holding my own most of the time but he had one hell of an armdrag. he was dragging my right arm from bottom butterfly /open guard. the only defense i know is to grab onto his gi pants as soon as i feel both of his hands on my right arm. is there another way to defend that is more efficient because i often find myself trying to pass and not fully aware of where my hand is at (to grab his pants). ideas?

Old 10-20-2006, 08:48 PM   #2
Spoonman7

Red Belt

vCash: 500
granby roll when he armdrags you. GO to some wrestling websites to look up a granby roll if you don't know what it is.

Burritos are my life-BJ Penn

The Very essence of martial arts is the thirst for knowledge and the truth about ourselves - Frank Shamrock
Spoonman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:05 PM   #3
~JM~
Contra Mundum

http://drillbook.lakeheadu.ca/drillbook_site/granby.wmv

Granby

~JM~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:23 PM   #4
BearTrap

Orange Belt

Don't forget to rotate your shoulders.

BearTrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #5
Spoonman7

Red Belt

when he hits the drag you just roll across the shoulders you can end up on top depending on how your opponent moves.

The Very essence of martial arts is the thirst for knowledge and the truth about ourselves - Frank Shamrock
Old 10-20-2006, 11:28 PM   #6
NeelyWCU
Banned

ha u fucker...i was reading this thinking "damn..that sounds familiar...my friend had that problem today" check out that thread i just made about that says "good ish" josh...your armbar defense is no more you short armed, 35" bicep fool"

NeelyWCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
NeelyWCU
Banned

the grandby roll? i dont really know much wrestling...but how would that video work from an armdrag from open guard/butterfly/guard? or am i missing something

NeelyWCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 12:07 AM   #8
Stively

vCash:
yeah i agree with neely. i love that you're giving feedback but how will that work into my situation??

Old 10-21-2006, 01:58 AM   #9
Spoonman7

Red Belt

it is hard to explain how the granby would work, when your opponent hits the drag, just go with it and roll across the tops of your shoulders, it is much easier to demonstrate than to explain, it is very simple and very effective.

Old 10-21-2006, 02:13 AM   #10
JSN
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeelyWCU
the grandby roll? i dont really know much wrestling...but how would that video work from an armdrag from open guard/butterfly/guard? or am i missing something
like he's got ahold of your right arm, you rotate your shoulders with the arm drag and flip over to the right side so you have side control, with your back on his chest.

JSN is offline   Reply With Quote