Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM   #1
OhNoZ

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Another got my blue belt thread

i've been training no gi for 2 years and gi for an additional year and now have reached this stage. I'm stoked even though it doesnt change anything about my game or who i am, it is such an honor to be recognized. i've been told i was at a blue belt level in skill for a while now but i didn't have the right mindset of a bjj practitioner. some of the things discussed on this forum helped instill the right mindset in me so i wanted to say thanks to the experienced guys passing on their knowledge.

the week prior to the promotion i had my 4th pro mma fight. I tapped out my opponent at 34 seconds of the first round with a flying armbar. Although my instructor never taught me this he did teach me to be fearless and do what feels natural. some bjj black belts promote for performance but he let it be known that it wasn't the finish but the mindset is why i'm being promoted. to the white belts reading this, remember that mindset is half the battle of becoming proficient at these combat sports we love. you will not have bad days at training if you take each experience for what its worth.
Attached Thumbnails
LJ pic.jpg   DSC00070.jpg  

Old 03-18-2012, 03:22 PM   #2
dalexan242

Blue Belt

What changes to your mindset did you make?

dalexan242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
OhNoZ

Orange Belt

i hate to admit it but i was one of those guys that cared about gym rolls. i wanted to tap training partners to show my skills but it only limited my skills. i'd be a knee wrestler that would always try to takedown into side control and work the game i knew. i would avoid positions i wasn't fully comfortable in which didn't allow me to evolve. just comprehending that tapping equals learning allowed me to overcome a lot of bad habbits i had. i had those days that i thought were just awful training days but now i look back at them and realized i learned the most from those days.

that is just an example but there is so many things that people worry about when it comes to bjj. having fun should be the priority and everything else should be a supplement to that fun.

Old 03-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Mike Wilson Jr.
Amateur Fighter

Congrats on the win and the promotion.

"A belt covers 2 inches of your ass, its up to you to cover the rest."

Just STFU and train...
Mike Wilson Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:43 PM   #5
bradlabo

Green Belt

Congrats dude. I got mine 3 weeks ago, and have been getting beaten up since.. I love it!

Old 03-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #6
portland

Green Belt

Do you have a vid of your flying armbar?

portland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:56 PM   #7
raines513

Blue Belt

Nice, crongrats!!

raines513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
JustinTime

Blue Belt

Much respect man. It's not easy to take a look at yourself and honestly see your own shortcomings.

JustinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #9
OhNoZ

Orange Belt

thanks guys, no vid yet. this promotor takes a while to have dvd's available but when i get it i'll post it!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:20 PM   #10
domstormclay

Brown Belt

Congrats man!

Mitsuyo Maeda > Carlos Gracie > Helio Gracie > Carlson Gracie > Ricardo Libório/Bebeo Duarte > Nelson Solari > Wilson Junior > Me (Blue Belt 07/12/2012)
domstormclay is offline   Reply With Quote