Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Grappling Technique

Grappling Technique You don't know a heel hook from a toe hold, and that's why you need to come here.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #1
Omniscient

White Belt

vCash: 500
BJJ VS Muay Thai on the street

Personally, I think both are good but if you can't train both you should choose MT.. For example, you're walking home and some punk starts to throw punches, I'd like to KO the guy within a couple of seconds and GTFO outta the place. But in BJJ you have to take him down on the sidewalk and mount him and then armbar him or whatever.

Discuss.

Omniscient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #2
FLoWitheGo**
Banned

If you are looking for self defense, Judo>all imo. Throwing someone on cement guarantees he isn't getting up. Not to mention you know some sub defense and subs and have a phenomenal base.

FLoWitheGo** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:57 PM   #3
Omniscient

White Belt

Im talking about those 2 options, lol.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #4
chaps

Brown Belt

vCash: 1200
90% of street fights between two people who have no idea what they are doing, end up on the ground. If you know what to do on the ground, you will prevail. If you know you have a huge advantage on the ground(BJJ artist VS some punk on the street), you are going to choke his ass out and make him regret ever wanting to fight you.

The early UFC's were street fights. Royce Gracie settled this debate a long time ago.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #5
chaps

Brown Belt

vCash: 1200
All you gotta do against a striker is close the distance and clinch with him to make it go to the ground. Sure there is a chance you might get KTFO, but atleast you always have a clear goal(taking it to the ground). If the striker doesnt rock the BJJ artist when he closes the distance(his only shot at winning), the striker will get taken down and will look like a fish out of water.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Omniscient

White Belt

Yes that is all true. I am a big fan of BJJ too but what about on the street ? Can you risk taking down a guy on the street and finishing the fight fast and GTFO outta the place ?

Old 01-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #7
RyanR

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps View Post
All you gotta do against a striker is close the distance and clinch with him to make it go to the ground. Sure there is a chance you might get KTFO, but atleast you always have a clear goal(taking it to the ground). If the striker doesnt rock the BJJ artist when he closes the distance(his only shot at winning), the striker will get taken down and will look like a fish out of water.
Honestly that's in ideal 1vs1 situations w/o weapons or whatnot.

I've been doing MT almost as long as I have been grappling, and in all honestly I can say that I feel that MT is a bit more effective for a self defense scenario.

Are they both effective? Without a doubt. No denying that breaking someone's arm or choking someone unconscious is a fight ender. In all honestly though rocking someone with a cross/hook or a solid knee is just as effective though. Most people have never been hit really hard before and just fall apart mentally (if not physically) when this happens. And those that don't will panic and get reckless.

Bottom line is that most guys you run into that want to fight are idiots and should be avoided at all costs, you never know what will happen. As I said before you run the risk of being stabbed or having 20 of his friends start kicking you.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #8
Omniscient

White Belt

I agree with Ryan.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
Linkuei
"Link, Linkage, Mr Linkovich, and Linky

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps View Post
90% of street fights between two people who have no idea what they are doing, end up on the ground. If you know what to do on the ground, you will prevail. If you know you have a huge advantage on the ground(BJJ artist VS some punk on the street), you are going to choke his ass out and make him regret ever wanting to fight you.

The early UFC's were street fights. Royce Gracie settled this debate a long time ago.
I'm going to have to disagree. In a street fight the last thing you want to end up is the ground. And I'm sure that those statistic are off. 90% on the ground? you mean when someone gets knocked out or ganged up on but multiple attackers? I think 90% is way too high.

BJJ is great and is good to know don't get me wrong I love the art. But I've seen and been in many street fights and being on the ground is the last place you want to be at. Also There are alot more things to happen in the real world that either you can end up really hurt or dead if you end up on the ground. Its not going to be the same as it would be in the dojo.

Best thing in a street fight would be MT like the poster above us said. Defend hurt the other fighter and get out.

Blitz online little bro

One of the three Soul brotha Mods (CHL + Lethal + Link)

Chocolate Knight
Linkuei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #10
HardEight

Blue Belt

The last thing I want to do is get on a fight on the street.

If I don't have a choice, I would prefer my glock to MT.

HardEight is offline   Reply With Quote