Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
Zayn
Banned

vCash: 500
Why is Muay Thai so popular in MMA?

I've always wondered why Muay Thai was so much more popular among MMA fighters than other styles like Karate, Kung Fu, and especially TKD.

TKD is the most popular martial art practice in America, yet nobody uses it in MMA really. Somebody care to explain? I'm just getting started in MMA.

Zayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #2
Sonny

The style best fits the skill set needed for the sport of MMA. Leg kicks, clinch work, knees, elbows etc. are all applicable to MMA.

April 2nd 1982 - January 8th 2014
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #3
TOOLfan

Blue Belt

Location: I Love The Place I Live But I Hate The People In Charge.
Muay Thai is more practical for mma for a lot of reasons.

clinch being one, knees, elbows and more straight forward kicks that use the shin.

just a couple reasons.

there are other good forms of standup like kyukushin.

i am sure a search will give you a lot of answers

www.SaintWilhelms.org-member #00088

Your attempts to extinguish me dont bother me none, like retarded kids throwing ice cubes at the sun
"Immortal Technique"
TOOLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:10 PM   #4
damastakilla

Yellow Belt

TKD isn't the best style to used in MMA. The only Kung Fu style that works is Sanshou which is basically kickboxing/Muay Thai with wrestling and Judo takedowns. Kyokushin is the only effective Karate style. Those aren't that popular and harder to find than Muay Thai. Muay Thai is the most popular standup in MMA, because it is effective, easy to find, and others have already used it. Also it is a devastating ring sport and can be used in kickboxing too.

damastakilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Zayn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOLfan View Post
Muay Thai is more practical for mma for a lot of reasons.

clinch being one, knees, elbows and more straight forward kicks that use the shin.

just a couple reasons.

there are other good forms of standup like kyukushin.

i am sure a search will give you a lot of answers
I already tried the search, but didn't find any useful info. Kyukushin is the style GSP uses, right?

I was watching a lot of Cung Le's Sanshou videos, and I was also curious about what Sanshou is, exactly and if it's even a definitive fighting style. Cung Le has some amazing takedowns (although many of them aren't very useful in MMA), as well as great kicking form and boxing. Is he a practitioner of Muay Thai or of Sanshou?

Zayn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:12 PM   #6
Sonny

I was a Choy Lay Fut practitioner for most of my childhood and teenage years before I started boxing. We had a Sanshou instructor come in weekly and his background was in Wushu. The thing I enjoyed about the Sansho workouts was the actual sparring we got to do.

April 2nd 1982 - January 8th 2014
Sonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
TOOLfan

Blue Belt

Location: I Love The Place I Live But I Hate The People In Charge.
Another plus for Muay Thai is that it would prob be a lot easier to find a place to train then Sanshou or a lot of the other "good" karate styles.

www.SaintWilhelms.org-member #00088

Your attempts to extinguish me dont bother me none, like retarded kids throwing ice cubes at the sun
"Immortal Technique"
TOOLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 PM   #8
ACR4V3N

Blue Belt

Did you watch the first UFC's at all?

Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #9
Prodigal Son

Brown Belt

Everybody rags on the other styles, but truth be told they can probably work and be effective in MMA, especially w/some western boxing crosstraining. It is highly dependent on the teacher and teaching methods. Learning forms all day, breaking a few boards, and going over static self defense drills isn't going to prepare you for MMA. Muay Thai schools are heavy on the conditioning, sparring, stand-up techniques, most TKD schools it is a form-fest with very little sparring or even point sparring, not full-contact damage done sparring whilst tweaking your flaw/stand up technique, heavy bag work or any of that stuff.

Lots of Mcdojos associated w/TKD in the US.

Muay Thai isn't perfect though and it is my favorite traditional art, they have great traditional training but some of the training methods I find outdated.

Prodigal Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
skza

vCash:
natural selection