Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:58 PM   #181
SAAMAG
A whole lot of I don't give a ****

vCash: 500
WC > Everything

That is all.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:23 AM   #182
Mazinkaiser

vCash:
WC is useless if you can not beat other WC guys and can not apply them against a muay thai fighter or mma guy. Thats the conclusion

Old 05-02-2010, 01:59 AM   #183
SAAMAG

No...I think WC > ALL. That's the conclusion.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #184
mjw1

Blue Belt

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I agree WC is great and works for me though it might not be for everyone and everyone to their own.

mjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 PM   #185
MilitantWorker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaolinShaman View Post
A Silva uses the side leg kick alot, and some people use trapping because of jkd influence- but yea, this might be the most underrated MA today (kung fu in general has a bad rap)
For real though....Wushu is amazing. Not the modern day shit the old shit.

I just started a thread about wing chun...maybe someone could help me out check the thread...

MilitantWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #186
mjw1

Blue Belt

Gotcha

Old 05-05-2010, 12:29 PM   #187
mjw1

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazinkaiser View Post
WC is useless if you can not beat other WC guys and can not apply them against a muay thai fighter or mma guy. Thats the conclusion
That applies to every art, if you can't apply it it is useless done and done.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:32 PM   #188
Capt.Canuck

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw1 View Post
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions I agree WC is great and works for me ...
Not trolling, but when you say it "works" for you, what exactly do you mean?

That it works for you as a hobby, for fitness...or that you've used it successfully in competition against practitioners of other striking arts? i.e. Muay Thai, boxing, etc...

Old 05-05-2010, 03:40 PM   #189
walkingdisaster

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin View Post
Yeah, pretty much what I was thinking. That said, what boxers/kickboxers don't do that chunners (at least try to) do is stick longer when they trap. You see how Machida not only pats a punch aside, but sticks to it for an extra split second as he guides it off path? That's the general idea of "trapping" as far as I can tell.

It definitely yields a greater result than a boxing parry, in terms of off-balancing, but its so much harder to pull off. I use it in sparring occasionally and I think it's a valid move, but I'm skeptical of the notion that this could be somebody's entire defensive game.

Anyways, I do have some first hand experience sparring WC guys... The ones that I've worked with had no concept of angles and weren't ready for hooks or even straights that came from off center. Also, no response for leg kicks.

I think that there's some good stuff in the system, but I'm yet to see or meet anyone who can make it work as a whole. (Admittedly though, I don't spend a lot of time searching.) I would think that live training would help, but even the WC guys on fight quest who did plenty of hard sparring were barely able to use the techniques that the system boasts, nor did they spar particularly well.

I'm not closed to the idea of someone making it work for MMA, but I personally haven't seen anything to indicate that it will happen.
Trapping is more of an in fighting system. And them not stopping your kicks is a sign that they were bad. A good WC user will stomp on your lead knee and attempt to use a quick straight from the chest or grab your hands to control your wrists.
Anyhow, WC in and of itself isn't going to do TO hot, but the things they show you in there work great if used with other techniques. I've always felt that trapping hands would rock if you used it while dirty boxing, and that the knee stomps would help tons with clinch takedowns or to setup some nice strikes while coming in.

Old 05-06-2010, 10:41 AM   #190
SAAMAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingdisaster View Post
Trapping is more of an in fighting system. And them not stopping your kicks is a sign that they were bad. A good WC user will stomp on your lead knee and attempt to use a quick straight from the chest or grab your hands to control your wrists.
Anyhow, WC in and of itself isn't going to do TO hot, but the things they show you in there work great if used with other techniques. I've always felt that trapping hands would rock if you used it while dirty boxing, and that the knee stomps would help tons with clinch takedowns or to setup some nice strikes while coming in.
IMO, a good wc person will use the closest weapon to the closest target, and WILL NOT chase hands (e.g grab your hands). Grabbing anything before trying to hit is bad wing chun, and using wrist control in general has a low success rate --it's the jum jang and chum kiu (seeking) movements that are better for contolled hitting.

Real fighting based wc will use punch (attack) first and the tan, fook, bong, lap, kau, and etcetera second. The "trapping" is a byproduct of the opponent obstructing the line of attack, not the goal of the wc person.

Last edited by SAAMAG; 05-06-2010 at 10:48 AM.
SAAMAG is offline   Reply With Quote