Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:20 PM   #1
KennisTheMenace**
Banned

vCash: 500
Underground fighting (like in the movies)

I was clicking through YouTube and I came up on this movie "Blood and Bone" which is a fun story, like other fighting movies. Has anyone ever witnessed an Underground fight?

KennisTheMenace** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #2
Harukaze

Brown Belt

We used to have those on a weekly basis in high school. You'll also see lots of them in backyards and garages on YouTube these days.

Reality ain't half as cool as the movies LOL.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
laidbackjudoka

White Belt

Bob Sapp in that film had me in stiches

laidbackjudoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
MadSquabbles500

Brown Belt

I am surprised there were not more of those before UFC first came out. I guess the striking just be more entertaining is true, and since you already have legal boxing, there never was a need for underground fights even if it had different rulesets.

But then I wonder why they don't have underground illegal tournies for medieval weapon fighting. Yeh, you have the SCA, but those guys are kinda boring with no blood or death. You think there would be huge market for something like that since it is kinda like snuff but taken to a sportive format.

MadSquabbles500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
Devonmac95

Yellow Belt

Mostly they are just schoolyard brawls nowadays, but i really love sparring outside in an urban area pretending im a Tekken character lol

Devonmac95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Harukaze

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSquabbles500 View Post
I am surprised there were not more of those before UFC first came out. I guess the striking just be more entertaining is true, and since you already have legal boxing, there never was a need for underground fights even if it had different rulesets.

But then I wonder why they don't have underground illegal tournies for medieval weapon fighting. Yeh, you have the SCA, but those guys are kinda boring with no blood or death. You think there would be huge market for something like that since it is kinda like snuff but taken to a sportive format.
"In Poland, they have a knight fighting club."
And it's not underground either LOL.

Old 02-22-2014, 07:25 PM   #7
MMMFood

Brown Belt

vCash: 2856
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadSquabbles500 View Post

Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 PM   #8
MysticNinjaJay

Silver Belt

I participated in these underground battles in High School that we called "kick fighting" where you could only kick your opponent to the legs. We had a 3 knockdown rule and sometimes had ring outs as part of the rules depending on where the fight took place. We would fight in this remote corner of the school (nearly got in trouble for that) and later outside of school in the grass at select locations in town.

I heard rumors of other organized fights. One friend told me they would fight on a trampoline and punch each other full force with Sock'em boppers. Another said that the Lacrosse team used to have organized no-rules brawls after practice. Another kid said he and some friends would fight with Boxing gloves. I've also had some submission grappling matches with friends who were fans of MMA.

I've never seen street fighting in real life as hardcore as what you see in Blood and Bone. I talked to a Martial Arts master at a social gathering who did say that he was aware of such activity in the area where we lived and that you had to pay to witness these street fights but I never got around to looking at it.

There's plenty of videos on Youtube of course of underground street fighting.

Last edited by MysticNinjaJay; 02-22-2014 at 07:52 PM.
MysticNinjaJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 08:50 PM   #9
Charlitos1988

Purple Belt

what is more interesting is maybe on east europe or east asia some mafia gang probably make this ZERO rules tournaments on very private circles, that even if you pay you wont pass because you need an invitation from a person from that circle. that would be cool to see!

Charlitos1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #10
Cyclone Mike
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harukaze View Post
"In Poland, they have a knight fighting club."
And it's not underground either LOL.
This is badass

Cyclone Mike is offline   Reply With Quote