Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 PM   #1
Charlitos1988

vCash: 500
training combat sport vs training self defense when being a police officer?

so on my last post I got the idea that training boxing, muay thai, judo, bjj, etc is better than training krav maga or whatever self defense that is around there.

BUT how do the law forces will do if they can only fight against a criminal bare handed? I mean if by particular situations a police officer can't use his bar or guns, and they need to fight ... I mean they mostly train some kind of krav maga oriented to their job (police) and they only trained on their years of police academy and maybe they assist to some self defense seminars that are 5 times per year, because they spend more time solving cases, arresting people, etc.

finally the logic of your responses on my last post is that in this particular case the police officer would be useless when fighting bare handed (because he trained years before and only self defense oriented) against a bigger opponent or worse against a trained one.

p.d.: I'm not defending self defense but I want your opinions here.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:34 PM   #2
Charlitos1988

a bad case

a good case

Old 03-04-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
SAAMAG
San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

Police have a different goal in mind. The idea is to subdue and detain the suspect, while making sure the force applied in doing so is commensurate with the threat.

That said--I've got a couple Sheriff's that I train, and have met many LEO's in the past in my various experiences.

Lots of LEO's box, I've met quite a few in Judo, a few in Muay Thai, a couple in wing chun, and many that practice MMA.

So the training that LEO's get at an official level is generally supported by their own personal directions of training.

By the way the second video is of some punk security guard who started the fight.

SAAMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
MariusAnil

Orange Belt

Sparring a lot at an mma gym(or any other combat arts) can get someone used to violence and timing. That way they don't freeze. Freeze=death

MariusAnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:58 PM   #5
Soul Rebel 2

Brown Belt

vCash: 491
Boxing, Krav, BJJ and even some akido for standing wristlocks.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #6
Primitivo

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlitos1988 View Post
so on my last post I got the idea that training boxing, muay thai, judo, bjj, etc is better than training krav maga or whatever self defense that is around there.

BUT how do the law forces will do if they can only fight against a criminal bare handed? I mean if by particular situations a police officer can't use his bar or guns, and they need to fight ... I mean they mostly train some kind of krav maga oriented to their job (police) and they only trained on their years of police academy and maybe they assist to some self defense seminars that are 5 times per year, because they spend more time solving cases, arresting people, etc.

finally the logic of your responses on my last post is that in this particular case the police officer would be useless when fighting bare handed (because he trained years before and only self defense oriented) against a bigger opponent or worse against a trained one.

p.d.: I'm not defending self defense but I want your opinions here.
If you're talking about fighting for your life... the dirty style of:

will save your ass.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Bay Area

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primitivo View Post
If you're talking about fighting for your life... the dirty style of:

will save your ass.
Im sure its an effective style, but none of those were done with any resistance

Only you can make that decision for yourself.
Bay Area is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 10:57 PM   #8
SAAMAG
San Antonio Applied Martial Arts Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area View Post
Im sure its an effective style, but none of those were done with any resistance
Most of what's in that video wasn't even part of KM. That guy trained in other arts and now tries to use those skills to market KM, when that's not what you will learn.

Old 03-15-2012, 10:02 AM   #9
mjw1

Blue Belt

Basic boxing/ kb and some wrestling will work with a little knowledge of self defense. In law enforcement there are too many liabilities with excessive force etc. and the goal isn't to knock the guys brains out though sometimes it may happen with a high level resister but to control them and get them cuffed as easily as possible so you can come home the same way you went to work every day......

mjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:38 PM   #10
Eric Bradach
Amateur Fighter

I've always been a fan of the Filipino martial arts for self defense. Styles like Arnis, Kali, and Eskrima I believe are very effective in self defense situations.

Eric Bradach is offline   Reply With Quote