Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 06-28-2007, 12:00 PM   #1
TEYHAUSEN

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
Strong Chin=Strong Neck?

Isn't a strong neck what people are referring to when they say strong chin? Isn't the capacity for taking a strike and not getting knocked out dependent on how much less distance your brain moves inside your head, because of the support your neck or traps are giving it?

Or does every fighter I hear has a strong chin just coincidentally has a well built neck/trap area?

TEYHAUSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
ChopSteak

Yellow Belt

I think having a strong neck helps with taking a punch, but all the neck exercises in the world aren't turning you into Hunt.

ChopSteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #3
dicekar
Banned

There are nerve endings at the end of the jaw bone that make your legs go limp if they get shocked. Some people are very suseptable and some are not affected at all. Its genetic and you wont know how bad your chin is untill you get caught. Very few people are able to take a strong clean shot to the chin and stay standing.

If you want to improve your "chin" you have to learn to protect it from getting hit. Nothing else han help you.

dicekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 02:25 PM   #4
jamison

Brown Belt

I think you meant to ask the question in reverse. though neck strength is important and can help taking a punch, it will NOT help taking it on the chin. The answer is NO

jamison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
wildman1717

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicekar View Post
There are nerve endings at the end of the jaw bone that make your legs go limp if they get shocked. Some people are very suseptable and some are not affected at all. Its genetic and you wont know how bad your chin is untill you get caught. Very few people are able to take a strong clean shot to the chin and stay standing.

If you want to improve your "chin" you have to learn to protect it from getting hit. Nothing else han help you.
I agree, but nothing wrong with a thick strong neck.

wildman1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #6
Chaghatai

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicekar View Post

total myth, it just turns out that the point of the chin is very good at transferring energy of a strike into the kinda movement that stuns the brain

Chaghatai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
mmaboi23

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSteak View Post
I think having a strong neck helps with taking a punch, but all the neck exercises in the world aren't turning you into Hunt.
yeh i think that a strong neck would help...but most of it has to do with the shape of your head

mmaboi23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:03 PM   #8
chriskiss

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaghatai View Post
total myth, it just turns out that the point of the chin is very good at transferring energy of a strike into the kinda movement that stuns the brain
You are correct, the chin is the spot on the face where the force is most tangential to the rotation of the skull. Having a thick neck will help with reducing the acceleration of the skull and should reduce the likelihood of a brain rattlin'. Genetics play the biggest role by structure, angles of bones and just plain natural resistance. Neck strength and neck mass would help but are no substitute for just being born with a Cabbage head.

Fedor
Wanderlei
Liddell
Rua
big Nog
chriskiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 06:45 PM   #9
Gungnir
Banned

So is a pointy chin a serious danger in getting KO'd? Roundheads seem to not get KO'd so much.

Gungnir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:14 AM   #10
Michael Wanaka
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopSteak View Post
Right. I wouldn't say my neck is particularly strong, but I've never been knocked down. In contrast, there is a guy in our gym whose neck is so damn big he almost doesn't have one. He's been knocked down a couple times.

Mods Worship The Devil
Michael Wanaka is offline   Reply With Quote