Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 03-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
Terminal Strike

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Striking points

Ok, so I've been training grappling for the last few years, but I've only recently had the opportunity to join a Muay Thai gym (I must say, training striking and getting hit for the first time is way more confronting than when I was getting owned by whitebelts). Anyway, my dad use to be a boxer, and he always talked about how each punch had an ideal designated destination, jabs go to the nose, and eyes. Crosses and straights go to the tip of the chin, jaw or solar plexus. Hooks to the jaw, chin or ribs (preferably liver). Uppercuts to the solar plexus or chin etc. But now that I'm doing MT, I feel like I have a passable understanding of where each blow should be aimed, but can anyone with some real experience tell me...Where should I hit people / try not to get hit?

Inb4 legkickstothelegs.

GSP-Machida-Jones-Anderson-KZ-Maia-Fedor-Pettis-Genki-Rory-Ebbersole-Condit-Khabilov-Werdum
Terminal Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
mjw1

Blue Belt

white belts in MT? I don't think MT has belts......

Anyways looks like you just answered the question your self????

mjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
Terminal Strike

Blue Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjw1 View Post
white belts in MT? I don't think MT has belts......

Anyways looks like you just answered the question your self????
No, white belts in BJJ. And I only really have my dads boxing stories, my mma watching experience and my getting kicked around the ring experience in the last week to go by for where to hit. Probably not the best sources. What I mean is, where on the thigh should my kicks be going? Should I be aiming for the knee or will I just fuck my shin up? Is there any particularly painfull spots to get hit? I know chi points, nerve induction and all that crap doesn't really hold any water, but I've noticed getting kicked in certain parts of my leg makes me want to die more than others, I can wear a freight train hit to one part of my torso, but a few inches to the side makes me want to weep.

GSP-Machida-Jones-Anderson-KZ-Maia-Fedor-Pettis-Genki-Rory-Ebbersole-Condit-Khabilov-Werdum
Old 03-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Zombles

Green Belt

speaking generally

for low kicks, there's a nerve cluster on the outside of the thigh just above the knee and an exposed ligament, hitting the side of the actual knee can fuck up your shin, especially if they check out, and going higher you run into a lot of muscle mass which can better absorb the blow.

Thiago Alves - Low Kick - YouTube

pretty perfect placement there

knees should be targeted either right at the diaphragm or the floating ribs, midkicks the same, floating ribs and livers are nice, if you go low you'll just bang into hip and too high you'll get more muscle mass, less exposed organs, thicker ribs, and it will be harder to land through a guard.

remember when Jardine fought Liddell he landed like 80 midkicks but very few of them were properly placed which is why Chuck was able to eat them all without much problem.

elbows are super varied but if you're slashing downwards try and split the guard right down the middle to connect with the nose, a horizontal one should crash into the jawline or cheekbones. nose if you can but the angle usually won't be there.

teeps right at the diaphragm are your best bet, if you're lucky they'll be taking a gulp of air and you'll knock the wind out of them.

there's leeway with any of these but those are generally the areas you want to target / protect, which is why it's so damn important not to raise your guard too high which almost all beginners do. a good muay thai guy will devastate your body if your elbows get too high to protect that about six or seven inches between hip bone and the weaker ribs.

Zombles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
panamaican

Gold Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombles View Post
speaking generally

for low kicks, there's a nerve cluster on the outside of the thigh just above the knee and an exposed ligament, hitting the side of the actual knee can fuck up your shin, especially if they check out, and going higher you run into a lot of muscle mass which can better absorb the blow.

Thiago Alves - Low Kick - YouTube

pretty perfect placement there

knees should be targeted either right at the diaphragm or the floating ribs, midkicks the same, floating ribs and livers are nice, if you go low you'll just bang into hip and too high you'll get more muscle mass, less exposed organs, thicker ribs, and it will be harder to land through a guard.

remember when Jardine fought Liddell he landed like 80 midkicks but very few of them were properly placed which is why Chuck was able to eat them all without much problem.

elbows are super varied but if you're slashing downwards try and split the guard right down the middle to connect with the nose, a horizontal one should crash into the jawline or cheekbones. nose if you can but the angle usually won't be there.

teeps right at the diaphragm are your best bet, if you're lucky they'll be taking a gulp of air and you'll knock the wind out of them.

there's leeway with any of these but those are generally the areas you want to target / protect, which is why it's so damn important not to raise your guard too high which almost all beginners do. a good muay thai guy will devastate your body if your elbows get too high to protect that about six or seven inches between hip bone and the weaker ribs.
Pretty much everything that needs to be said at this point. My only addition is also aiming horizontal elbows at the temple if you're close enough.

panamaican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Discipulus

Black Belt

Head kicks to the jaw or neck, not the skull.

Twitter: @BoxingBusch

Facebook: facebook.com/ConnorRuebuschMMA

heavyhandspodcast.com
Discipulus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Terminal Strike

Blue Belt

Thanks guys. From the sound of it the sooner I condition my fists and shins the better.