Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:40 AM   #1
Pacquiao3:16

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Savate

I took my first Savate class yesterday and I thought it was fun and fast-paced.
Should I continue doing it to help me in MMA?

Pacquiao3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #2
Sinister
Doctor of Doom

vCash: 502
If your Savate ends up like this, you could be a beast in MMA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadTk...rch=kickboxing

https://www.youtube.com/user/LevantarAthletics

For nutritional/supplement advice e-mail to: luismonda@levantarathletics.com. Tips via paypal appreciated for speedy responses.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 12:04 PM   #3
AO

Green Belt

i'm in my 4th year of savate and i still enjoy it. the kicking practice alone is worth it

AO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #4
SwiftMcvay

Brown Belt

EVerytime I see somebody mention Savate the only thing I can think of is Gerard Gordeau from UFC 1, and when he kicked out that sumo wrestlers tooth. I've never understood why it isn't a more common style in todays MMA scene.

SwiftMcvay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 03:25 PM   #5
Stompede

Yellow Belt

Isnt it illegal to do a MT style Kick in savate?

Saw a program about it once, where they mentioned that they had to chamber the leg and to a TKD kick in order to score points.

Old 07-05-2006, 03:38 PM   #6
triplex429
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kabuki
If your Savate ends up like this, you could be a beast in MMA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WadTk...rch=kickboxing
i never took Savate seriously until i watched that HL

my coach teaches Savate and was also a champ...i'm gonna take a look into it now

i dig the chamber/recoil and the snaps of the kicks cuz i have a Karate/TKD background

triplex429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 03:56 AM   #7
Ben Stigar

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacquiao3:16
I took my first Savate class yesterday and I thought it was fun and fast-paced.
Should I continue doing it to help me in MMA?
I love Savate, though relatively recently I began focusing more on my MT training for various reasons - none of them pertaining to any dislike of the fine art of French Foot Fencing.
I often read posts asking "can I use XYZ in MMA?", and it surprises me somewhat. If you train well for all of the "MMA-ish" contingencies while pursuing Savate, I'm sure you could benefit greatly from the work. If you take Muay Thai from some Thai Yoda but don't apply yourself, you'd be MUCH worse off. That said, I will try to address some of the "challenges" you might encounter while trying to adapt Savate technique to an MMA environment. Please understand I don't fight competitively, so hopefully some of the vets on this board can chime in if I mis-state something (but I DO train and spar with grappling techniques).
1) If you can't use shoes while fighting, you'll lose some of the effectiveness of some of the Savate kicks - especially the Fouette (roundhouse). Using the toe while kicking is a characteristic of Savate that shouldn't be downplayed - but the instep can be applied in its place (at a cost to power). That said, you can throw chasse' kicks (i.e., side stopping kicks, in a very simplified nutshell) all day with bare feet, and the chasse' is critical in Savate.
Also, though Savate DOES chamber almost all of the kicks, it's application of the hip turn/thrust is different from most other arts - or at least applied with more...zeal. The fouette is devastating if applied correctly, and can drive the toe of a shoe like a hammer.
2) The stance in Savate puts most of your weight on the rear foot much of the time (many fighters shift to a more distributed stance once in boxing range). It's also not as forward-facing as many NHB/MMA stances you'll see out there. That means you must train train train to use it effectively. Since Savate fighters are extemely mobile and literally "bounce" (so it appears) around when in kicking range, you probably won't want to forego the stance and footwork because that's one of its primary strengths. That said, against a decent takedown you will be vulnerable. So...train for those contingencies.
3) Again, you're going to get taken down. Though I believe a good Savateur should be able to score kicks if he manages his distance and timing expertly during(i.e., while avoiding) a shoot, I must stress the word expertly. Develop groundfighting skills and your takedown defence. I get taken down routinely. THat said, the chasse can be very usefull against a closing opponent - that's what it's supposed to do. And the light lead leg, which is used AGGRESSIVELY in Savate, is much more viable for keeping distance between combatants than in many other arts.
4) Savate (sport) doesn't use the shin for attack or defence. I would (i.e., HAVE) quickly adapt the shield block from MT for dealing with low kicks, should you fail to full/half escape them (which is easier to do when using a Savate approach to footwork).
5) Sharpen your boxing skills. Knockouts are knockouts. Use the hands.
6) Learn the MT kicks as well. Learn to use combinations that setup the lead leg on the lead punch (often a hook) to switch kick opponent if such power is necessary. Ditto for combos that facilitate lateral stepping to deliver the rear leg off of a cross/feint cross.
7) I don't advise riding a strong MT kick. Try it once, you'll agree I think.

I will think on this more. Alas, it is late...

Old 07-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #8
Pacquiao3:16

Orange Belt

Thanks for the advices volsung. I will definitely continue taking Savate. I am also currently taking wrestling so I am learning to have takedown defense. I am enjoying my savate class and
my teacher also practiced MT before he got into Savate.

Pacquiao3:16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #9
Swift

Purple Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftMcvay
EVerytime I see somebody mention Savate the only thing I can think of is Gerard Gordeau from UFC 1, and when he kicked out that sumo wrestlers tooth. I've never understood why it isn't a more common style in todays MMA scene.
Gerard actually did Kyokushin Karate, they just fucked it up when they listed his style.

Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 02:57 AM   #10
jigsaw99**
Banned

i do savate in jdk classes it's very effective if you are good at it. the only thing i have a problem with is the toe kicks you seem to injure your toes more often doing those. but that's why there's shoes.

jigsaw99** is offline   Reply With Quote