Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 07-14-2008, 04:25 AM   #1
Alfer23

Yellow Belt

vCash: 500
The Rickson Gracie / Ricardo Arona stance?

What style does the stance/posture that Rickson and Arona used a lot in their stand up come from? The whole right foot forward part seems to be for shooting in on take downs, and the hands seem to be low for the same reason.. but it is a kinda weird posture that other grapplers don't use.

Is there any particular type of striking philosophy this comes from, or is it just free style/what worked for them?

I'm curious about it for a few reasons, but my big thing is it seems like you'd be incredibly vulnerable to high and low kicks alike.

I did a few searches and nada.

Also, if anyone knows where / with whom Rickson trained his standup in those days, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks

Alfer23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #2
HI SCOTT NEWMAN
Banned

mario sperry does the same

i dont have a clue who taught them it though, sorry

it must be a brazilan coach though

HI SCOTT NEWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 10:21 AM   #3
blanko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer23 View Post
What style does the stance/posture that Rickson and Arona used a lot in their stand up come from? The whole right foot forward part seems to be for shooting in on take downs, and the hands seem to be low for the same reason.. but it is a kinda weird posture that other grapplers don't use.

Is there any particular type of striking philosophy this comes from, or is it just free style/what worked for them?

I'm curious about it for a few reasons, but my big thing is it seems like you'd be incredibly vulnerable to high and low kicks alike.

I did a few searches and nada.

Also, if anyone knows where / with whom Rickson trained his standup in those days, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks
it's used to bait strikers in to striking so you can clinch and take them down.

blanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:57 AM   #4
no choice

Green Belt

Rickson never trained his stand up with anyone, just by himself so he can make up great stories about his holy adventures in mma land. 11 fights against shitty fighters instead off 400 wins, he's a joke.

no choice is offline   Reply With Quote