Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
ninjajesus
Banned

vCash: 500
Punching bag way too hard

I just bought a 100 lb. Everlast punching bag, but when I kick this thing, it fricken hurts. The bag is too hard. I don't know what they put in it, but it hurts to kick it.
My TKO brand bag had strips of cloth and foam in it and it was soft, even in the areas where it's really compacted.
Anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone have a way to make it softer?
Thanks.

ninjajesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
vu

Purple Belt

Use over time will soften it up...and um...kick it if you can...

vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:18 AM   #3
ninjajesus
Banned

I feel like I'm gonna give myself nerve damage. I guess that's what it feels like to kick someones shin.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:30 AM   #4
vu

Purple Belt

Start lightly and work your way to kick it harder...

Have you tried kinda unpacking it a little? Or flipping it upside down, slamming it a couple times to kinda "loosen" things up?

vu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
JustaBoxer2000**
Banned

slam it to the pavement like a bag of ice. a lot. Also. You don't want your heavy bag to be too soft, or it doesn't serve the purpose. A heavy Bag should be resistant enough to strengthen your hands and feet. If it's too soft, when you actually punch someones hard skull, your hand will probably break.

JustaBoxer2000** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #6
hunto

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjajesus View Post
I just bought a 100 lb. Everlast punching bag, but when I kick this thing, it fricken hurts. The bag is too hard. I don't know what they put in it, but it hurts to kick it.
My TKO brand bag had strips of cloth and foam in it and it was soft, even in the areas where it's really compacted.
Anyone else have this problem? Or does anyone have a way to make it softer?
Thanks.
I own an Everlast 100lb bag. It has 5lb sand bags in it for weight. These are harder than the cloth fill so you get uneven areas. I unpack my bags and take the sand out, and just repack with cloth. If you really pack it down you won't lose much weight but it will be uniform in feel. Then you can kick/punch without fear of hitting a 'hard spot'. Some commercial bags are available this way,
I believe they call it 'soft fill'. If you put all the cloth back in the bag and still have room, you can finish stuffing it with old clothes.

{Some people advocate hitting it with a bat, or similar. All this does is bust the sand bags, so that the sand slowly sinks to the bottom of the bag.}

When I repack my bags, and get close to the top, I lay a 25 pound weight on top of the fill. The 25s have holes in them to carry, etc. I use a broomstick to poke down through the holes of the weight, to compact the cotton even more. Fill to top, remove iron weight, and zip or lace it up.
HTH

hunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
ninjajesus
Banned

Quote:
slam it to the pavement like a bag of ice. a lot.
Really? That won't put too much stress on the seams?
Quote:
You don't want your heavy bag to be too soft, or it doesn't serve the purpose. A heavy Bag should be resistant enough to strengthen your hands and feet. If it's too soft, when you actually punch someones hard skull, your hand will probably break.
True, but I really want to use it so I can strengthen my kick to maximum potential. With my other bag that I had, I could kick that thing as hard as I wanted and it didn't hurt.
In certain spots, it's really hard. So I'll be kicking it fine a couple of times and then hit a hard spot and just stop and grimace until the pain goes away.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:09 AM   #8
ninjajesus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunto View Post
I own an Everlast 100lb bag. It has 5lb sand bags in it for weight. These are harder than the cloth fill so you get uneven areas. I unpack my bags and take the sand out, and just repack with cloth. If you really pack it down you won't lose much weight but it will be uniform in feel. Then you can kick/punch without fear of hitting a 'hard spot'. Some commercial bags are available this way,
I believe they call it 'soft fill'. If you put all the cloth back in the bag and still have room, you can finish stuffing it with old clothes.

{Some people advocate hitting it with a bat, or similar. All this does is bust the sand bags, so that the sand slowly sinks to the bottom of the bag.}

When I repack my bags, and get close to the top, I lay a 25 pound weight on top of the fill. The 25s have holes in them to carry, etc. I use a broomstick to poke down through the holes of the weight, to compact the cotton even more. Fill to top, remove iron weight, and zip or lace it up.
HTH
Thanks, very informative.

So since it's filled with sand, me slamming it won't really soften it, will it?

I still have my old torn TKO bag and all the cloth and foam that was in that one, so I would have enough material to fill the Everlast bag.

But, that's a lot of work. I took some of the stuff out of the TKO bag to fill another bag and that stuff gets everywhere. There's dust that goes into the air.

I heard they hydraulically stuff the bags, so would I be able to stuff mine good enough?

Thanks for the response.

Old 08-20-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
Eddie Dingle

White Belt

Quote:
Really? That won't put too much stress on the seams?

True, but I really want to use it so I can strengthen my kick to maximum potential. With my other bag that I had, I could kick that thing as hard as I wanted and it didn't hurt.
In certain spots, it's really hard. So I'll be kicking it fine a couple of times and then hit a hard spot and just stop and grimace until the pain goes away.
In a fight if someone checks your kick will you stop fighting and grimace until the pain goes away?

Eddie Dingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:20 PM   #10
hunto

Brown Belt

Quote:
Thanks, very informative.

So since it's filled with sand, me slamming it won't really soften it, will it?

I still have my old torn TKO bag and all the cloth and foam that was in that one, so I would have enough material to fill the Everlast bag.

But, that's a lot of work. I took some of the stuff out of the TKO bag to fill another bag and that stuff gets everywhere. There's dust that goes into the air.

I heard they hydraulically stuff the bags, so would I be able to stuff mine good enough?

Thanks for the response.
Yes, you should be able to stuff it almost as tightly as factory. The cloth fill will settle over time, so you can always add more when the top settles.
Yes, its a dusty endeavour, but you will have a bag thats right for you.
Esp if you plan to kick it.
HTH

hunto is offline   Reply With Quote