Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 01-20-2006, 09:05 AM   #1
Hellbent

White Belt

vCash: 500
Punch/Kick power measuring equipment?

Anyone know where to get some kind of reasonably priced punch/kick power measuring equipment. Century has one called the "Herman" - but the power meter just gives a generic number. I would be more intrested in something that actually tells you what your striking power is in per square inch reading.

Anyone know where to look for something like this let me know. I tried yahoo and all I get is video game cheat codes lol.

Hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 AM   #2
deadlyshaolin
euphoria

I'm pretty sure you can get state of the art equipment from the laboratories of Ivan Drago. JK, I have no clue. Is there any reason you want to measure your power? Seems kind of out-there.

[St. Wilhelm's - Member #00035]
deadlyshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:26 AM   #3
Dominic Kihlstrand
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadlyshaolin
I'm pretty sure you can get state of the art equipment from the laboratories of Ivan Drago. JK, I have no clue. Is there any reason you want to measure your power? Seems kind of out-there.
I would imagine to help your technique? Find out the hardest way to kick or punch by scientific methods and process of elimination.

Dominic Kihlstrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 09:31 AM   #4
Hellbent

White Belt

Quote:
lol what do you mean seems kind of out there??? I guess I might as well lift weights and not look at the numbers of the plates or keep track of sets or reps. Or maybe do rounds but not set the timer and keep track of how long...

I want to be able to see if I change a technique a little or do something differant in my training if my power from punchs/kicks gets better or worse and not just have to guess by feel. I don't think its that "out-there" at all.

Hellbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
mmagic

Yellow Belt

I don't think there is much on the market geared toward at-home use. There are certainly laboratories with this equipment, and you might be able to use it there. Generally the equipment I have seen is extremely bulky.

mmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #6
deadlyshaolin
euphoria

The reason I said that purchasing equipment of this kind is "out-there" is that it is extremely expensive, bulky, and (from what I imagine) not meant for personal use. I can see an upscale gym or fitness lab getting one of these machines, but not your average Joe Boxer.

It's sort of like a pregnant woman wanting to buy an ultrasound machine so she can see her baby in her tummy. Sure, you probably could get one if you wanted to, but it's so expensive and out-there that almost nobody does. Just go to your doctor instead.

Weak analogy, I know. I certainly wish I had a machine that could measure my striking power -- that'd be pretty sweet -- but I just don't think it's a normal thing.

[St. Wilhelm's - Member #00035]
deadlyshaolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:58 PM   #7
CAP-10

White Belt

I've seen, and used, such a device before. It was a large kicking pad with a digital readout of pounds of force on the back. It also had straps to put it on a heavy bag and a detachable display to make one-man use possible. I don't remember any information on the manufacurer or what it was called, but I'll look into it and post if I can get anything useful.

CAP-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
killer_kicks88

Green Belt

Quote:
The reason I said that purchasing equipment of this kind is "out-there" is that it is extremely expensive, bulky, and (from what I imagine) not meant for personal use. I can see an upscale gym or fitness lab getting one of these machines, but not your average Joe Boxer.

It's sort of like a pregnant woman wanting to buy an ultrasound machine so she can see her baby in her tummy. Sure, you probably could get one if you wanted to, but it's so expensive and out-there that almost nobody does. Just go to your doctor instead.

Weak analogy, I know. I certainly wish I had a machine that could measure my striking power -- that'd be pretty sweet -- but I just don't think it's a normal thing.
hahaha, ala Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes