Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:27 PM   #1
Crazyhorsebeer**
Banned

vCash: 500
Problem breathing while boxing?

I notice and also my instructor tell me whn im sparring, I seem to hold my breath by a bad habit, When IM in the ring When im on my toes and throwing combos thats when I hold my breath. I get wound up and hold my breath. Anyone offer any suggestions on how to breathe properly in the ring.

Crazyhorsebeer** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
Sinister
Doctor of Doom

vCash: 502
Your best bet if this is pure boxing is to work on your road-work and taking punches in the gut, because those force you to breathe moreso than getting hit in the face. Work on sprinting in your running, wind sprints, uphill and downhill, throw punches while you do, getting yourself used to releasing air as you punch. Medicine ball work is also a very good way to rid yourself of the habit of holding your breath if you do exercises and drills where it pops you in the gut. But ultimately, you have to make a conscious effort not to hold your breath. It's a bracing instinct.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LevantarAthletics

For nutritional/supplement advice e-mail to: luismonda@levantarathletics.com. Tips via paypal appreciated for speedy responses.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:15 AM   #3
Rudy Richter
Amateur Fighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Kabuki
Your best bet if this is pure boxing is to work on your road-work and taking punches in the gut, because those force you to breathe moreso than getting hit in the face. Work on sprinting in your running, wind sprints, uphill and downhill, throw punches while you do, getting yourself used to releasing air as you punch. Medicine ball work is also a very good way to rid yourself of the habit of holding your breath if you do exercises and drills where it pops you in the gut. But ultimately, you have to make a conscious effort not to hold your breath. It's a bracing instinct.

King I don't post that much in this forum, but I read it every day. I just wanted to thank you(and and other posters with worthwhile input) for all the constructive input.

Cus D'Amato
Rudy Richter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 01:23 AM   #4
CANADIANFIGHTCLUB

Brown Belt

Breath out when you punch.This will help you breath and stops you from getting the wind knocked out of you if you get hit in the abbs when throwing a punch.

goodluck

please check..www.FOKAI.TV www.PUREBREDUSA.com
CANADIANFIGHTCLUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 07:38 AM   #5
moodymikey

Blue Belt

you always need to breathe out when you punch. the gym i train at says that breathing is an incredibly important aspect in fighting because the built up emotion inside you will hinder your strikes

moodymikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #6
Sinister
Doctor of Doom

vCash: 502
Quote:
King I don't post that much in this forum, but I read it every day. I just wanted to thank you(and and other posters with worthwhile input) for all the constructive input.
Thanks man, that really means a lot in countering all the asspipes who tell me my post-count is too high. lol

Well when you do play-by-plays of Boxing cards in the Boxing forum, and attempt to actually post constructive and conversational material in the forums of interest it turns out a guy might actually have shit to say.

https://www.youtube.com/user/LevantarAthletics

For nutritional/supplement advice e-mail to: luismonda@levantarathletics.com. Tips via paypal appreciated for speedy responses.
Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #7
triso

Green Belt

That would be the hissing type sound you hear boxers make when they are throwing punches. They are breathing out when letting a punch go. You should do this on every punch. Trust me, you will feel the difference.

triso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 10:33 AM   #8
Orsyn
Asian Connoisseur

Also not breathing right/holding your breath can actually tire you out faster. I used to have the same problem with holding my breath but I was getting tired. After working hard on making sure to breath and it became more natural, I found I had more staying power. Just remember to practice it and don't give up. It may seem to take a while, but you are trying to drop a habit, trying to correct a natural reflex for your body.

Orsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2005, 12:32 PM   #9
Zankou
Amir al-Kuffār

I had this bad habit too. The best way to get over it is IMO to work the heavy bag and make sure to breath out with every punch, almost like you're calling your shots. "Hnn hnn hnn. Hnn Hnn. Hnnn Hnn Hnn Hnn." Like that. Then you will get used to it and do it in sparring.

It will tire you out real fast if you don't learn to relax and breathe.

Zankou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2005, 06:32 PM   #10
CHawkins

Blue Belt

Oh, man. This was a bad habit for me when I started boxing way back in the day, and it is a bad habit again now that I'm getting back into training after a long layoff.

Zankou called it. Until exhaling on the punch becomes second-nature, you're going to have to think about your breathing, and try to be audible with it so you don't forget. I'm working on this right now. Like everything else, it takes focus and time.

edit: spelling

CHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote