Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
shs101

Blue Belt

vCash: 500
Nick Diaz boxing style

Hello I was trying to see if anyone could break down his style because besides his image as a person he has some great boxing skills...... and myself with long arms and boxing backround I would like to take some pages from his book..... he opens his guard a lot and sometimes its either him doing a lead feint or taunting his opponent but it usually works........I see also he has the looping lead hook.
What else makes him boxing great for mma.... anyone?

shs101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
KyleInAction
***HOPKINS BELT***

Ask this guy, he's got the right idea
http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/ju...loves-1919075/

"Nobody ever says anything worth reading on twitter. [..] It's like Facebook for stupid people, and Facebook people are knocking on average's door." - Madmick
KyleInAction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #3
LZD

Purple Belt

Here's Freddie Roach talking about Diaz's boxing: Freddie Roach talks GSP Injury, Nick Diaz's Boxing, Anderson Silva Best Boxer in MMA - YouTube

In Roach's opinion, Diaz doesn't have very good 'pure' boxing for the following reasons: He has no footwork, comes in straight lines, doesn't use angles.

His strengths, again in Roach's opinion, are that he is a very good puncher - he is very accurate, and he has great stamina.

This doesn't necessarily answer your question directly, but it gives some indication of what makes Diaz's boxing good for use in mma.

PS: I am assuming you know who Freddie Roach is [/appealtoauthority]

Old 12-09-2011, 10:20 AM   #4
VisceralDragon

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZD View Post
Here's Freddie Roach talking about Diaz's boxing: Freddie Roach talks GSP Injury, Nick Diaz's Boxing, Anderson Silva Best Boxer in MMA - YouTube

In Roach's opinion, Diaz doesn't have very good 'pure' boxing for the following reasons: He has no footwork, comes in straight lines, doesn't use angles.

His strengths, again in Roach's opinion, are that he is a very good puncher - he is very accurate, and he has great stamina.

This doesn't necessarily answer your question directly, but it gives some indication of what makes Diaz's boxing good for use in mma.

Andre Ward (World champ and Olymic glod medalist) Sparred with him and wouldn't say how it went of course but seemed to speak highly of Diaz. Said he learns well.

Old 12-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #5
SergioMartinez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZD View Post

Andre Ward, Omar Henry, Dan Chargin, JoeRogan, Frank Shamrock, Richard Perez, Miguel Cotto and Floyd Maywether Sr all disagree with Roach. PFFFFF Freddie Roach also said Sergio Martinez Can't box, You believe that shit ???

SergioMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 03:58 PM   #6
KyleInAction
***HOPKINS BELT***

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergioMartinez View Post
Andre Ward, Omar Henry [..] Miguel Cotto and Floyd Maywether Sr
Sources, or did not happen.

Ward always skirted around the bush when asked about Nick.
Henry sparred him, but never said anything about it as far as I know
Cotto was trying to get him into camp; never went any further than that
Floyd offered to train him. Hmm Floyd offering to train someone who makes money. Who'da thought? Not exactly an endorsement of skill. And if GSP weren't a student of Roach, I doubt Mayweather would give a shit.

"Nobody ever says anything worth reading on twitter. [..] It's like Facebook for stupid people, and Facebook people are knocking on average's door." - Madmick
Old 12-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Hucal

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleInAction View Post
Henry sparred him, but never said anything about it as far as I know
This happened at my gym in late April and I was there. It was sort of embarrassing for Nick Diaz, he was really getting beaten on. He actually came away from the session with a mouse under his left eye. He hung in there well, though... he lasted 6 rounds (3 minutes each, I believe) before doing mitt work with his coach.

Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:39 PM   #8
KyleInAction
***HOPKINS BELT***

^ right on, I remember you saying something about that before. A lot of people were claiming that the video was edited to make Omar look better than he actually was.

Old 12-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #9
Hucal

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleInAction View Post
^ right on, I remember you saying something about that before. A lot of people were claiming that the video was edited to make Omar look better than he actually was.
Those people are probably Diaz nuthuggers I got nothing against Diaz, but he really did not too hot. His boxing works well in MMA, but then again, MMA does not have the most elite level of strikers. Diaz spent a lot of time leaning in the inside where he should not have been, eating hooks and some hard uppercuts. To give him credit, he was facing an undefeated professional boxer.

Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 06:52 AM   #10
AdamThomas

White Belt

Here's a good article on how his style is very similar to old school bare-knuckle boxing rather than the gloved form we're all used to: mobile.headkicklegend.com/2011/11/4/2538105/the-pugilist-nick-diaz-daniel-mendoza-and-the-sweet-science-of

AdamThomas is offline   Reply With Quote