Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #101
KMOne

White Belt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooba View Post
KMOne was sent as part of their marketing machine, dont give in... lol. Or go ahead, go to a class and see how much it sucks. Ive been to the national training center in LA. Im telling you guys no matter how "good" the KM gym is it still sucks.
I actually don't even take Krav Maga, anymore.

And I can provide you with a lot of criticisms of Krav Maga Worldwide, if you'd like. But they mostly have to do with political BS, lack of oversight, and apparent money-grubbing.

And I there are some things that I would change about the Krav Maga system.

But, overall, I would say that Krav Maga is very solid street self-defense system that does the job that it's supposed to when it's taught by a decent instructor.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:55 PM   #102
Jooba

Orange Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMOne View Post
I actually don't even take Krav Maga, anymore.

And I can provide you with a lot of criticisms of Krav Maga Worldwide, if you'd like. But they mostly have to do with political BS, lack of oversight, and apparent money-grubbing.

And I there are some things that I would change about the Krav Maga system.

But, overall, I would say that Krav Maga is very solid street self-defense system that does the job that it's supposed to when it's taught by a decent instructor.
Ive already stated what I think, people can refer back to my posts now. I just dont think its worth it to take this system with the availability of good MMA gyms these days. Especially for people living in California, there are a lot of great gyms out here. Why waste time with a watered down system?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 PM   #103
KMOne

White Belt

Quote:
Thats true you guys do teach kick through on the balls. But on your round kicks and other kicks you guys have atrocious technique. Your striking and stance are overall super low quality. It seems like the only thing KM guys know how to do is kick in the balls.
Really? How is it "atrocious technique"? Explain.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #104
Jooba

Orange Belt

Quote:
Really? How is it "atrocious technique"? Explain.
I shouldnt have to explain when I posted the videos up for people to see. Go use your eyes.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #105
Jooba

Orange Belt

Quote:
Ok dont take my word for it, Im looking up video demonstrations from youtube and posting them. Let people here with MMA experience judge and see what they think. Im posting up the videos that Krav people are posting to be fair. Some are just random, they are all from one user on youtube that has a lot of Krav Maga videos.

YouTube - Krav Maga on Good Morning America Now <--- this was one for tv

YouTube - Kevin Lewis Krav Maga Promo Vid

YouTube - Krav Maga Choke With A Push Defense

YouTube - The Best Krav Maga Demo Video Period! <--- this is the way they train in class, doing demosntrations on some person that is never resisting

YouTube - Krav Maga Shotgun Attack Defense

This guys has a lot of videos YouTube - KravCam's Channel

Now people can judge the quality of this martial art for themselves.
bump.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:58 PM   #106
KMOne

White Belt

Quote:
Oh please, as if Muay Thai cant be considered "brutal, effecient, and fast." Power and effeciency come from the use of proper techniques, something Krav Maga totally fails to do.

Honestly, the best thing for anyone who wants to defend themselves. Go out and learn Muay Thai or MMA. Then learn dirty tricks as an afterthought. Dont waste your time with the watered down poor techniques of Krav Maga.
I never said that Muay Thai wasn't brutal, efficient, and fast. I'm not making a comparison between Muay Thai and Krav Maga; you are.

Again, how does Krav Maga "totally fail" using the proper techniques? The techniques that you described earlier I've never seen in a Krav Maga class. So, where's the proof?

If you seriously think that Muay Thai is the end all, be all of street self-defense, that's fine. Train it. I do and I very much enjoy it.

But Muay Thai doesn't teach you anything about defending yourself on the street unless someone bows up on you straight up. Krav Maga does.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:01 PM   #107
Payak
Banned

the bottom line is 90% of all students at a martial arts school of any style will never be that good, could be lack of coordination or commitment,no real natural ability,etc
most students ive seen train really would be lucky to win a street fight, however the training does increase there chances.
every school only has a handful of good fighters,but a shitload of fighters who think there good.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM   #108
vegaskurt

Orange Belt

I did Krav for awhile. To me it was less about technique and more about reacting really fast and being agressive to get your self out of a situation.

After 5 months of defending random chokes from attackers I left and went to MT, I never looked back.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:33 PM   #109
Kellogg's

Green Belt

Quote:
Ok dont take my word for it, Im looking up video demonstrations from youtube and posting them. Let people here with MMA experience judge and see what they think. Im posting up the videos that Krav people are posting to be fair. Some are just random, they are all from one user on youtube that has a lot of Krav Maga videos.

YouTube - Krav Maga on Good Morning America Now <--- this was one for tv

YouTube - Kevin Lewis Krav Maga Promo Vid

YouTube - Krav Maga Choke With A Push Defense

YouTube - The Best Krav Maga Demo Video Period! <--- this is the way they train in class, doing demosntrations on some person that is never resisting

YouTube - Krav Maga Shotgun Attack Defense

This guys has a lot of videos YouTube - KravCam's Channel

Now people can judge the quality of this martial art for themselves.

That's the problem with KM. It's all demos, which are staged therefore don't count for donkey piss. I've never seen a video of a KM trainee vs. an actual resisting opponent not to mention a real attacker. The people who you know someone that do KM and you know for a fact that they are good in a fight usually were good/strong before starting to train.

Before anyone starts saying anything about how the Israeli army uses it then it's just like any other HTH combat tutorial which just teaches you the basics. Nevertheless, when you're in a hostile are against people with weapons, the cool wrist flick, groin kick, over-the-shoudler-throw is the last thing popping into your mind when there's someone charging at you with the intent of ending your life. Then it's down to instincts and physical strength.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #110
Jooba

Orange Belt

Quote:
I never said that Muay Thai wasn't brutal, efficient, and fast. I'm not making a comparison between Muay Thai and Krav Maga; you are.

Again, how does Krav Maga "totally fail" using the proper techniques? The techniques that you described earlier I've never seen in a Krav Maga class. So, where's the proof?

If you seriously think that Muay Thai is the end all, be all of street self-defense, that's fine. Train it. I do and I very much enjoy it.

But Muay Thai doesn't teach you anything about defending yourself on the street unless someone bows up on you straight up. Krav Maga does.
I didnt say Muay Thai is the end all, be all. I would combine Muay Thai with proper grappling training to make it complete. But imo strking is more important to learn first for self-defense first and then grappling. I train a little bit in grappling but not enough to make note of it at this point. But I am trying learn wrestling and BJJ. I dunno what techniques I talked about that youve never seen in a Krav class, all I did was post videos. Those are from Krav classes, that Sherman Oaks gym is generally regarded as a good one. If you were talking about the kick, in Krav they like to keep their gaurd up and snap their round kicks. They lift the knee and then snap it, kind of TKD/Karate style. There was a big discussion about kicks in another thread anyway. Someone else put it words well.

"Don't ask questions if you are just going to argue with everyones response to it. especially when you are so dead wrong. fact is with both hands in front of your face your kick will be off balance leading to an easy takedown, a weak kick with no power or you just missing due to your kick being slow. You can think whatever you want from your garage but one hand is more than enough to protect yourself when you maintain the proper rotation. Remember: to an extent if you see almost EVERY SINGLE PRO do a move one way chances are there is a reason for that and chances are your not smarter or a better fighter than they are."

Aside from technique in a street fight some people will freeze up, that includes martial artists. Even Krav cannot change this, how you will react in a real life situation is down to you not your martial art. Krav will not fix this problem.

Ok, I need to go focus on my paper that Im writing. Ill be back tomorrow to answer posts.

Last edited by Jooba; 01-12-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Closed Thread