Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:51 AM   #1
daninnashville

Orange Belt

vCash: 500
Kickboxing Tournament in NC...feedback please!

Hello!

I am looking to get some feedback on an upcoming kickboxing tournament in North Carolina. I've been studying thai boxing/mma more seriously in addition to my jiu jitsu training. I have about 4 months of total experience on my feet. I was looking on the IKF website for some upcoming events and thought I might enter this tournament to get some experience in front of a crowd. Mind you, I completely understand these events are different than stepping in the ring...which I may do someday. But I'm wondering if it's a good idea to train hard for something like this despite the fact it's based on a point system. The tournament is in May and I'm thinking it might be a good "first" goal to work towards.

Here is the website.

http://www.magym.net/spring_08.htm

My reasons for doing it would be a) because it's fun and b) it might give me some relevant experience in front of a crowd. It seems legit but I don't understand much about "American Muay Thai" rules. I am learning more about continuous sparring and what that is all about.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it! Regardless I may just go do it because it's something different and fun to work towards. I'm 31 and 197. My question is would training for something like this hurt my thai kickboxing training in the long run?

Dan

daninnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 AM   #2
LiT_WiCK

Brown Belt

Everyone is a winner at the tournament, as everyone will receive something for competing. The tournament will begin at 12:00PM (except grappling) with the self-defense and forms divisions, then the continuous sparring divisions. You can show up at 12:00PM, if you are competing in the forms and self-defense divisions or if you are sparring only, show up at 2:00PM for the weigh-ins and mandatory IKF Point Kickboxing (PKB) division rules meeting.

If you want serious experience those 2 lines should stick out as a red flag.

And I'm not sure what kind of 'crowd' you will be in front of.

Point kickboxing doesn't sound like it is full contact and could have an adverse effect on your technique

But you said you are doing it for fun, so if you want, go for it...

Old 04-09-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
jamesmichael7

Yellow Belt

I thought about checking it out myself, but not really training hard for it. Semi-contact point fighting where KOs = disqualification seem more like sparring in front of a crowd. IMO it's not worth paying to do, especially if you don't live in the area.

But if you're ever in Charlotte and wanna work jiujitsu, MMA or stand-up, come visit us at Leadership Martial Arts or over in Monroe at Home.

Blessings,
JM
The Discipleship Dojo

DiscipleDojo.tumblr.com
Facebook.com/artofthedojo
Renzo, Machida, Weidman, Fedor, Felice Herrig, Tecia Torres, and Genki!
jamesmichael7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #4
ArchAngelos

Blue Belt

Semi contact kickboxing is sport karate. Stop after every point scores or accumulate as many points in a round as you can.

If you are just starting out, then yeah it's okay. If you are trying to eventually fight full contact you might want to just concentrate on that. You develop bad habits defensively when you play light contact.

ArchAngelos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
DS614

Brown Belt

No reason you can't keep training for full contact and still enter the point tournament.

It is not as if you have to choose between this tournament and a full contact tournament, so why not have fun and test yourself in an environment where you aren't going to get a concussion.

"Everyone is a winner at the tournament, as everyone will receive something for competing. "

There are a lot of soccer moms' bringing there 10yo's to Karate fight, you have to reassure parents these days. Take it for what it is, and have fun imo.

DS614 is offline   Reply With Quote