Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums

Go Back   Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forums > Training Discussion > Standup Technique

Standup Technique Jab, right hook, left cross... is it really that hard? Talk about it here.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:23 AM   #21
Corey Kuropas
Professional Fighter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaman View Post
People have an obsession with estoteric styles, whether it be JKD, Sanda, Kudo, etc. The prevailing belief is that "These styles are rare, so they must have super-rare techniques that will crush the MT/boxing establishment!"

The reality is simple. Bruce Lee once upon a time had a notebook of his thoughts on martial arts. It was far from complete, as he didn't have the magnificent resources of Youtube or UFC on Demand at his disposal way back then. When he died, the notebook was put in trade paperback and sold worldwide, and people interpreted it as this sort of "ultimate" style when it was nothing of the sort.

Don't believe me? Look at Tony Valente's K-1 fights.
Tony Valente is a fake JKDer. Not legit.

Corey Kuropas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #22
Lionidas

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kuropas View Post
Tony Valente is a fake JKDer. Not legit.
Agreed. He might be obsessed with JKD but he's a tool nonetheless.

Lionidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:07 PM   #23
Gorack

Green Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey Kuropas View Post
I've trained in two sides of the same coin when it comes to JKD and it's very interesting.

I've trained with the "original" Jun Fan guys from Poteet. While there are some good thoughts, I did not like it too much. Way to focused on Wing Chun and felt kinda static.

Then I've trained with the "concept" guys from Inosanto, Hartsell, Balicki, and Vunak. This was truly awesome stuff. With this, I got to train in concepts of Boxing, Muay Thai, Kali, Wing Chun, BJJ, Shooto, and Vunak's RAT system. With the concept guys, you train to be a complete martial artist.

Too bad there's no legit JKD guys around me anymore.
Where are you at in Illinois?

I train with Dion Riccardo and he's definitely legit. His protege, Anthony Calderone, recently got his full instructorship under Paul Vunak as well. I'm fortunate to get to train with AC on a consistent basis, he's a fantastic martial artist.

We have MMA style classes (muay thai/boxing as well as jiu jitsu/wrestling/sambo) that act as the basis for people to learn how to kick, punch, sprawl, submit whatever. We also have JKD/Kali classes that are more geared towards weapons, multiple attackers, street defense type of stuff.

JKD philosophy such as the five ways of attack are incorporated into the MMA classes. But, the Kali/JKD classes are where we get more of your concepts like defanging the snake, hubud drills, sumbrada and stuff like that.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #24
Gfreak

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
Don't mean to threadjack here, but thought it'd be as good a place as any to ask.

Is JKD worth taking the time to really learn for me to go on and fight some day? I think i'm lucky enough to live next to a legit JKD (atleast i'm pretty dang sure he's legit) instructor.

That guy's Joe Soliz, who is a senior full instructor and taught with paul vunak. I'm already taking BJJ and a bit of boxing from my dad. And was just wondering if JKD was really worth learning.

Gfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #25
yodaman

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionidas View Post
Agreed. He might be obsessed with JKD but he's a tool nonetheless.
Well he did apparently threaten folks on Youtube.

My point is that people are drawn to unique styles, because they're different. JKD is no exception. It's far different from the MT establishment on the surface, so people want to learn it. But different doesn't = better. The top "JKD" guys knew that their techniques couldn't remain static. They bought in BJJers, bought in Shooters, MT guys, etc, to round out their games. Inosanto is a walking encyclopedia of techniques, but the JKD "Jun Fan" establishment considers him a fraud of the highest order. Likewise Ron Balicki. He's a footnote in SHOOTO history (A Yori Nakamura product who lost to Rumina Sato, a guy made of pure awesome) At that point, they resemble most MMA schools, at least from a competition perspective.

My point is, JKD can be good, without a doubt. But the good JKD isn't necessarily going to be dramatically different from what you would learn elsewhere.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #26
Lionidas

Brown Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfreak View Post
Don't mean to threadjack here, but thought it'd be as good a place as any to ask.

Is JKD worth taking the time to really learn for me to go on and fight some day? I think i'm lucky enough to live next to a legit JKD (atleast i'm pretty dang sure he's legit) instructor.

That guy's Joe Soliz, who is a senior full instructor and taught with paul vunak. I'm already taking BJJ and a bit of boxing from my dad. And was just wondering if JKD was really worth learning.
Anything is worth trying at least once.
Go to a class (first one is probably free) and see how you feel about it.

My advice though, if you really want to fight some day then find a Muay thai/boxing gym instead. I'm sure your dad knows his stuff, but you need a gym to truly hone your skills and test yourself against others on your same level.

Lionidas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 03:06 PM   #27
Gfreak

Purple Belt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lionidas View Post
Anything is worth trying at least once.
Go to a class (first one is probably free) and see how you feel about it.

My advice though, if you really want to fight some day then find a Muay thai/boxing gym instead. I'm sure your dad knows his stuff, but you need a gym to truly hone your skills and test yourself against others on your same level.
Yea, i've one to a few classes in the past (they have them right after the BJJ gi classes end, so i've done some then. And it was very basic stuff: Trapping and some limb destructions, basic knife defense/practice, and some leg kicks. along with a bit of sparring in a couple of the classes. But i was just wondering the practicality of it in fighting compared to traditional boxing and MT.
(also my dad was a golden gloves champ before he went into the marines.)

p.s. not arguing the fact that i need a boxing gym heh, i know people that take from my BJJ gym (same as the jkd guy) that are pretty proficient in boxing/mt so i can spar some of the guys there

Gfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 PM   #28
Too Defensive**
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefti View Post
how do you know what "bruce taught"?
Because of the invention of the printed word, created centturies ago in ancient China.

Too Defensive** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #29
nefti

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Defensive View Post
Because of the invention of the printed word, created centturies ago in ancient China.
so you, with a few books which were only a small part of bruce lee's ever evoloving theory, know more about what he "taught" than a man who was his prized pupil and the man entrusted with the training of his childen?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:41 AM   #30
LEGS MAHONEY

Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nefti View Post
so you, with a few books which were only a small part of bruce lee's ever evoloving theory, know more about what he "taught" than a man who was his prized pupil and the man entrusted with the training of his childen?
I didn't see anyone of lee's students claiming thathe had all this extra stuff he didnt show in his books

Sure it evolved and you can see it in some of his early vs later students but bare in mind jkd was suposed to be simple and to the point not a mess of this and that therefore its safe to assume pretty much all was there.

In fact, i recall Terry Tom,a student of Ted wong( one of Bruce's students) stating in her Black Belt magazine column that a good way to tell if a jkd school is legit is too look at lee's books as a reference point. If you don't see what is in his books being covered in the school than that's not jkd.